Half Man Half Biscuit , Arthur Lee reference
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2004 :  14:45:27  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
check out this song by Wirral legends Half Man Half Biscuit taken from a session for BBC Radio 3. Who'd have thought Arthur Lee & Arthur Lowe in the same senetence?

http://cobweb.businesscollaborator.com/hmhb/kershaw/07%20Mate%20Of%20The%20Bloke%20Who%20Set%20Up%20The%20PA.mp3

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  20:36:50  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listened to the track Gordo, shame they said they'd rather be listening to Arthur Lowe than Arthur Lee!!

Strangely enough I was listening to a Lloyd Cole and the Commotions album this afternoon doing the ironing when another Arthur Lee reference came up - see link below - does anyone know any other references to Arthur in lyrics of songs???

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/c/colelloydandthecommotions16425/areyoureadytobeheartbroken448652.html

Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  20:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey I've got two stars!! Hooray!!!
Go to Top of Page

Conrad Conrad
Second Love

26 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  21:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course there's "The Wreck Of the Arthur Lee" by Robyn Hitchcock (on his Respect album). Only one I know named after our guy. Good song too although I can't remember exactly what it's about. I do know RH is a fan.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  22:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/robyn_hitchcock/other_songs_203072/the_wreck_of_the_arthur_lee-165707-lyric/

Mike Randle has mentioned Robin Hitchcock as being a fan before in his diaries

Well here's three then - anymore from anyone??
Go to Top of Page

Aake
Fourth Love

Sweden
112 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  00:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Aake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Think there is a song called
Free Arthur Lee

Shine on and LOVE one another.
Go to Top of Page

gordo
Third Love

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  10:37:49  Show Profile  Visit gordo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listened to the track Gordo, shame they said they'd rather be listening to Arthur Lowe than Arthur Lee!!

aah, but he only sings that he prefers sometimes to listen to Arthur Lowe. Afterall, nobody is in the mood for listening to King Arthur, everyday?
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  22:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't think i hadn't noticed you're a 2 star general.. i'm trying v hard to think of good comments, sigh.

ironing?? ironing?

ironic perhaps

just spent an hour trying to get bread out of my hot water pipes - long story

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  23:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so i've been browsing for more. found a new singer/songwriter called arthur lee

also an interview I hadn't seen before, http://www.brella.org/sandpebbles/love.html
but no new songs

I liked the lloyd cole one though

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Aake
Fourth Love

Sweden
112 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  00:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Aake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That interview was interesting
Thanks Lizzy

Shine on and LOVE one another.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  01:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Lizzy, Arthur mentions his book again, wonder if it will ever see the light of day ?
Go to Top of Page

Scottishkeith
Third Love

82 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  12:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Scottishkeith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting interview

As for arthur's book I've heard it rumoured that you'll get a copy free with the new album

SheeSheeShee Shineon ,which incidentally is a line from a song by the House of Love. (Actually never thought about this song or group in an Arthur Lee context)
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  23:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double album, big thick book, a signed plectrum and a LOVE hotwater bottle eh Keith ?
Go to Top of Page

Scottishkeith
Third Love

82 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  10:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Scottishkeith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeh Larry,

Buy one get one free as well
Go to Top of Page

johnbhoy
Second Love

46 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2004 :  11:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Songs that mention the Great Man -

The Wreck of the Arthur Lee - Robyn Hitchcock

Robyn is a genius who woprships at the altar of Lee,Dylan,Barrett

Arthur Lee - Woggles (mentions many Love's songs throughout the record)

The Ghost of Arthur Lee - The Anyways

Free Arthur Lee - Hopkirk & Lee

Free Arthur Lee - Make Up

Meant To Be - Shack (Liverpool Arthur devotees)

Lisbon 1967
Go to Top of Page

johnbhoy
Second Love

46 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2004 :  17:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops and another -

3 Hombres - Arthur Lee (from Brazilian Pebbles)

KOS

Lisbon 1967
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page