New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2006 :  01:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and fave tracks from them. Of course the great NUGGETS and Pebbles volumes that followed it, and the Pebbles-offshoot "Highs in the mid-Sixties" (I just got a killer one of those--vol. 13/Texas part 3, vinyl, still in shrink rap!) Pebbles 10 is probably my favorite of that series, I think somebody mentioned "love at psychedelic velocity" in the great psych songs thread, which is on that one, and definitely great, but my favorite on there is the Foggy Notions' "Need a little Lovin'." Puts me over the edge every time, it's like cosmic freakbeat heaven!

Some of my other top comps are Back From the Grave, Boulders, Acid Visions, and Electric Sugarcube Flashbacks. Also have some Mindrocker, Cicadelic Sixties, Psychedelic Crown Jewels, and others that are cool but don't really grab me quite as strongly as some.

What are some other great ones?

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2006 :  04:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fave 60,s psychedelic comp. is one that i got free from un- cut magasine a couple of years back. It is called ACID DAYS, and has tracks from Syd Barrett(R.I.P.)...OCTOPUS, my white bicycle by Tommorow, and great tracks from THE MOVE, NIRVANA,THE SMOKE,ARTHUR BROWN,DONOVAN, THE PURPLE GANG, THEPINK FAIRIES, THE NICE,THE EXECUTIVES and loads more....EARLY British Psych at it,s best.
I dont usualy go for comps...but this is as trippy as can be.
My faveorite track is MADMAN RUNNING THROGH THE FEILDS by DANTALIAN,S CHARIOT.....great stuff.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2006 :  22:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a couple of good ones:

Shadows Falling and The Psychedelic Experience.

I also got a comp of Voxx 80s garage revival stuff called Be A Caveman. There's a song on there called She Only Knows by Eyes of Mind that is very Love influenced - the vocalist does a great Arthur Lee impersonation.

Overall, though, Pebbles 2, 3 and 5 are my favourites.
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  02:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Garage Punk Unknowns? This series seemed to come out a little later than the others, but featured some real original bands. Somehow, I only ended up with Volume 5, but here are some songs worth hearing: "Her Lovin' Way" - Gaylan Ladd; "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" (believe it or not!) - The Shepards; "Found & Lost" - The Kingbeez; "Destination Lonely" - The Huns; and the great "Junco Partner" - Nobody's Children. What about Highs in the Mid Sixties Volume 20, the 4th one to deal with LA bands? The last cut on there, "Sleepy Hollow", by the Last Words? Wow! Then there are The Dovers... one of the best lost bands ever. That's all I have for now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page