Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2006 :  02:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GO TO THESE LINKS:
www.thrasherswheat.org
www.bad-news-beat.org
www.neilyoung.com
...AND QUIT YOUR CHILDISH SQUABBLING.
MUSIC FOR THESE TIMES...THE SORT I HOPED ARTHUR WOULD MAKE.

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2006 :  02:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does this have to do with Arthur Lee? Take you political crap somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2006 :  05:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
preferably on a Neil Young messageboard
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2006 :  15:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The topic for this part of the board reads:

"This is the category for general discussions about music with no connection to Arthur Lee and Love"

so whats the problem?

There's an interesting nearly 7 minute live CNN interview with an articulate Neil outside Reprise Records in Burbank just posted at YouTube, though may not last long if CNN ask for it to be taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7utryGZ25dg
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  02:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link - wish I was able to access it. Any chance of a brief rundown of what he said, for those who may be interested? From what I've gathered, it may be one of the very strongest, both musically and in lyrical content, of his long career, and one which may be successful enough to sway public opinion - a rare achievement - though perhaps not that of those rednecks who froth at the mouth at the slightest provcation, or, indeed, with no provocation whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  02:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

What does this have to do with Arthur Lee? Take you political crap somewhere else.

Why don't you take your insults somewhere else
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  17:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Why don't you take your insults somewhere else
-------------------------------------------------
Finely Free, boy that was clever. Do you trade smiling faces with
Waxburn, or do make your own?. If you have a beef with me,send
an E Mail. but your're way off base.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  19:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

Thanks for the link - wish I was able to access it. Any chance of a brief rundown of what he said, for those who may be interested? From what I've gathered, it may be one of the very strongest, both musically and in lyrical content, of his long career, and one which may be successful enough to sway public opinion - a rare achievement - though perhaps not that of those rednecks who froth at the mouth at the slightest provcation, or, indeed, with no provocation whatsoever.

Check out the blog below, where the quote at the top is from the CNN interview, especially the LA Times article linked to where Neil makes similar points to the ones he made to CNN where he dealt quite effectively, in my opinion, with criticisms that he is unpatriotic, that he should not be commenting because he is Canadian etc, putting forward his point of view and saying that he respected others who disagreed with him.

His last two albums were streamed online and he said in the interview that Living With War would be soon.

http://www.livingwithwar.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  02:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, got it this time - tried to access it via Thrashers Wheat yesterday, but failed. I've only got an internet TV connection, and there's so much been added to the Wheat site over the last three days because of the fuss over this record that my connections out of memory before any articles appear! In a way that's a good sign.
I contribute stuff to ITV Teletext's Planet Sound music pages now and again - inc. several Love reviews - and tipped them off as soon as I heard the news last Saturday. They ran it for two days and then ran another bit of my original posting to them in the letters page for a further day, so word's getting round. Rightly so. Good to see that Neil's adopting a very measured approach to interviews. Reckon it's going to be one of 'those' records...a gig would be a 'must see'. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  02:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by MikeP

Thanks for the link - wish I was able to access it. Any chance of a brief rundown of what he said, for those who may be interested? From what I've gathered, it may be one of the very strongest, both musically and in lyrical content, of his long career, and one which may be successful enough to sway public opinion - a rare achievement - though perhaps not that of those rednecks who froth at the mouth at the slightest provcation, or, indeed, with no provocation whatsoever

Rednecks? How quaint..What is it still 1970, let's all check out Easy Rider for 50 cents.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  19:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love what Neil says on his website about the new album being like Phil Ochs - now if he comes close to that, it's going to be damned good.

As for the interview, good for him. About time more people came out and were honest. As Neil says, he believes in artists using the right of free speech, which is echoed in this Neil Cavuto clip about the album: http://mediamatters.org/items/200604180008.

The same sort of crap has been directed at Country Joe McDonald for speaking up against war. First there was the excellent 'I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag', a song written by a veteran, who could legitimately comment on it all - ironic now that when you talk to people about Woodstock: The Movie, it is usually his song people remember most, and at the time he had an FBI file and was branded a dangerous subversive.

It has taken another war and another awful president before he has got attention again for his views (despite a slew of anti-war songs in the 70s and 80s and activity on behalf of the Vietnam Vets societies). In the last couple of years we have had the Bruce Barthol-written 'Cakewalk to Baghdad' - always prefaced by Bruce quoting "God invented war so Americans could learn Geography!" Then we got Joe's 'Support The Troops' (written for Cindy Sheehan) and most recently his highly astute 'Katrina', which describes the US govt's lack of action in the wake of the disaster. At some shows in the US, when Joe opened for Jefferson Starship, people walked out, demanding a refund, when he began expounding his informed opinions on war, Bush, Katrina, etc and there was a lot of discussion when recordings of these shows were offered for torrenting.

Luckily, in the UK on his recent tour, his opinions were respected and if people did not agree, then they allowed him to speak out and did not boo, etc. I find it worrying that mikeb should be mindful that "[the interview] may not last long if CNN ask for it to be taken down". I know exactly where he is coming from - such is the power of the US govt, speech may no longer really be free there anymore. One has to ask the question, if it was asked to be taken down, what are they afraid of? That Neil Young might actually be right??

Simple answer is, if you don't like an artist's opinions, don't buy the records. Also, as this is the place for non-Love music, such threads do have a right to be here. My only concern would be that people get too bogged down in what Neil is trying to say and forget to listen to one of the greatest musicians ever to set hands on a guitar.

Edited by - boombox on 22/04/2006 19:41:27
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  19:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

I find it worrying that mikeb should be mindful that "[the interview] may not last long if CNN ask for it to be taken down". I know exactly where he is coming from - such is the power of the US govt, speech may no longer really be free there anymore. One has to ask the question, if it was asked to be taken down, what are they afraid of? That Neil Young might actually be right??

To clarify my comment YouTube allows users to upload anything but if the copyright holders of the video contact them and ask for it to be taken down they will remove it.

I am assuming that the copyright of the CNN interview is held by CNN so they could ask for for it to be taken down if they wished on that basis, not any suppression of free speech. From their point of view it advertises the fact they have a showbiz section and its getting plenty of viewing so they are just letting it pass.

I have about 60 music videos in my favourites there and a few of them have been removed.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  20:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've every confidence that, even if they do not agree with the views expressed on this record, listeners will hear some of the best, most impassioned and loud playing of Neil's career.
As for the sentiments, well, although they may have an overtly US slant, while very, very many over here may disagree with the UK's invoolvement in the conflict, nobody seeems to be prepared to sing about it. Funny, that. One up, and full credit too, Mr.Young.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  02:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full album now streaming online, link is at the blog:
http://www.livingwithwar.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  03:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this album!!! Have been waiting for someone to put out something like this for a long time...other's have done it, but this ROCKS. It is sad that it takes a sixties artist to come out with something so relevant...where are the kids today...where is their music/voice?
The album is beautiful and powerful...I hope lots of people listen to it. And it is cool beyond words that it is free on his website.
Go to Top of Page

Art99
First Love

21 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2006 :  01:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if any of you caught it but Neil was on Comedy Central's Colbert Report 2 or 3 nights ago talking about the album and it was all pretty good and funny. I haven't heard it yet but look forward to checking it out in the very near future.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page