New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  08:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know that 2 cd Rhino Love Story compilation? I've got Scotch tape precariously holding the cardboard box together, and single malt scotch has destroyed the backside. The jewel boxes are cracked and jagged shards of broken plastic. The liner notes are Guinness and nachos stained, with various photos cut out from a late night collage I made for my gurrlfriend (who I converted into a massive fan.) Almost all of my other cd's are in pristine condition, but Love Story is ravaged, stained, decrepit. It has seen New Orleans and Spain, so whenever I need to hear The Castle or Always See Your Face, I've got my artillery by my side. Long live this Love Story!

Michael Young

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  11:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up a long time ago on trying to keep my CD cases in good shape...most of my CD's are scattered from hell to breakfast, in the wrong cases...but I kind of like it that way. I pick up a beach boys CD case, and inside is Link Wray, etc, etc.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  11:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a lot of my cd's are a bit on the "frayed" side after seeing too many student parties, at least they enjoyed themselves!
my friend has his cd's in pristine condition, in alphabetical order and genre and he shouts at me if I out one back in the wrong place, sometimes i change em round just to mess with his head hehehehehe

now my vinyl..thats a different matter, you don't even look at them
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  19:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael

My jewel boxes aren't too bad . I haven't kept the 2 CD's in the cardboard cover for some time so it's in good shape. But the CD's were pretty badly scratched. Fortunately my son made copies of them for me and they sound super.

BTW-this is my 2nd set . The first one was trashed a long time ago

Allan
Go to Top of Page

riverman
First Love

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  00:56:07  Show Profile  Visit riverman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also am on my 2nd copy of love story. My first one seemed to vanish one day after a particularly wicked party.

Won't you scratch my itch sweet Annie Rich, and welcome me back to town. Come on out on the parlor and i will tell you how it all went down.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  01:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riverman

Won't you scratch my itch sweet Annie Rich, and welcome me back to town. Come on out on the parlor and i will tell you how it all went down.

Not wishing to be pedantic but don't you mean

Won't you scratch my itch sweet Annie Rich, And welcome me back to town
Come out on your porch or I'll step into your parlour and I'll tell you how it all went down.

Getting further away from the thread title I went to a Gram Parsons tribute concert a couple of years ago at the Union Chapel in London, hosted by Polly Parsons, and Mike Randle was sitting about three rows behind me.

My CD's are generally OK but some of my vinyl.....

Edited by - mikeb on 03/04/2006 02:02:02
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  02:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought Rhino was spot-on with Love Story. Forty four tracks, with no glaring ommissions like most box sets. Seductive packaging, great choice of photos, good liner notes. You could tell it was a real labor of Love. I dig all your personal accounts of this 'lil box of magic.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  17:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest difference between Rhino and other labels is they are actually fans of the music, and especially of Arthur Lee & Love. Going back to their vinyl release of Love's greatest hits, it has been class all the way.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  19:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have that one, but last spring I put together a cd-r Love comp of most of my favorites. I jumbled it all up non-chronologically to get a different sense of the tunes, and tweek my expectations. You know how after hearing albums so many times you anticipate each song as they follow one another. That sort of flattens the experience for me sometimes. This came out as a pretty dynamic set with an interesting flow from one to the next.
I titled it "A Heaping Helping of Love."
This is the tracklist:

1. 7 & 7 is
2. Gazing
3. She Comes in Colors
4. A House is not a Motel
5. Nothing
6. Colored Balls Falling
7. The Everlasting First
8. Alone Again Or
9. Doggone (short version)
10. !Que Vida!
11. Maybe the People would be the Times, or, Between Clark & Hilldale
12. A Message to Pretty
13. Robert Montgomery
14. The Red Telephone
15. I Still Wonder
16. The Castle
17. August
18. Signed D.C. (first version)
19. Feathered Fish
20. Your Mind and We Belong Together
21. Gather Round
22. Orange Skies
23. Singing Cowboy
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  20:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds interesting astrolobe....BUT...no 'you set the scene' in there!! i have to listen to that song at least once a day just to function!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page