Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  20:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Has anyone besides me heard these two Doors albums minus Jim Morrison ? The website doesn't even acknowledge their existence which I find hilarious considering they were both Elektra releases.

I have both on CD, and not the dual CD that combines both records. What are your opinions on these albums aside from the fact that the band was obviously still trying to make some good old fashion green stuff ?

-Thomas Galasso

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somehow I have a feeling that The surving Doors members are ashamed of these two LP's.
I only like Ship With Sails, but the live version is nicer because of the drum solo in it.
So best to forget about these two albums!

Cheers,
Ed

http://www.thefreedomman.com/

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 23/03/2006 21:01:58
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I am one of those people who feels, if you made it, you should never deny it, and be honest about it. That would make them so much more interesting as well.

Like I would love to hear Arthur Lee actually talk in length about Vindicator, Black Beauty, and Reel to Real. Not just easy stuff like Da Capo and Forever Changes.

Who cares about judgement because they are human too, and they have made so many people happy 9 times out of ten.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:46:45  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I talked,(emailed) with Vince Treanor about those two LP's.He thinks it's crappy too.It's just not how The Doors should sound.It was more a project from Ray and the other two guys followed him.That project already started in 1970.It was supposed to be an album without Jim Morrison, cause after The Isle Of Wight performance they wanted Jim out, but that's another story....

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 23/03/2006 21:47:01
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really ?

I would like to hear more. I know more about Love than The Doors in terms of the backstory.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know if you know this, but Vince is doing some stories for my website, and there are more to come.His emails to me are almost a whole book at the moment.And what's better to hear stuff from a guy who was with The Doors for around 4 years.He's a great guy.

Jim messed it up at The Isle Of Wight in 1970.The boys were very angry and told jim that they would never be on the same stage again with him.But Jim wanted to prove he stil could do it, but as many of us know he messed it up again in New Orleans late 1970.And that was final for The Doors.There is writtin that the "Indian" in Jim left his soul that evening.Nice metaphore, but a lot of Bull it is.He was just a drunk guy who messed up the show.

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 23/03/2006 21:55:35
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2006 :  17:26:03  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like both Full Circle and Other Voices Other Voices to me anyway is the best of the 2.. they are part of the Doors History and hopefully one day they will be given a proper CD release?! I have both albums on vinyl..They have never been given a proper CD release..The CDs I have seen for sale are Russian Bootlegs..John and Robbys first album as The Butts Band is pretty good too,not that keen on the 2nd one... http://newdoorstalk.proboards43.com/

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

michael
Third Love

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2006 :  20:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I have seen...But never heard. EKS 75017 - Other Voices - Doors [1972] (11-71, #31) 1st album as a trio, after Jim Morrison's death. In The Eyes Of The Sun/Variety Is The Spice Of Life/Ships W/Sails/Tightrope Ride//Down On The Farm/I'm Horny I'm Stoned/Wandering Musician/Hang On To Your Life ............and EKS 75038 - Full Circle - Doors [1972] (8-72, #68) Trio of Manzarek, Krieger, and Densmore. Get Up And Dance/4 Billion Souls/Verdilac/Hardwood Floor/Good Rockin'//The Mosquito/The Piano Bird/It Slipped My Mind/The Peking King and The New York Queen

Peace and Love...God Bless...Michael...("Thanks Muddy Waters wherever you are for inventing electricity")
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2006 :  08:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually thoroughly enjoy the song "Tightrope Ride". That song for me (even though a shade standard) is very enjoyable, and I could only imagine how great it would have sounded with Jim singing.

"The Mosquito" is a song that grew on me, but it is not The Doors at all. I like it for its musicianship and energy, but it doesn't make the album work for me as a whole. I just feel personally that despite how bad they may be they should be on the official website as part of their history. They should be analyzed and discussed if not re-issued on a proper CD format as opposed to the bootlegs which I have, and no....not the dual CD, but I have them separately.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2006 :  16:01:36  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tightrope Ride was written about Jim

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2006 :  23:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really ?

Are you serious or are you just kidding around ? I don't know much about those albums or the creative process other than Elektra approached them to do them.

-Thomas

Does anyone remember if there was any sort of hype at all about those records ?
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2006 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I have read 'Tightrope Ride' was written about Jim by Ray Manzarek as he led his life on a Tightrope Ride and in the end he fell off! there are lots of discussions about the post Jim albums on this Doors Fan site http://newdoorstalk.proboards43.com also on this site are our photos from last weeks Doors 'Feast Of Friends' meeting in Utrecht Holland...

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2006 :  05:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda liked "Other Voices" but the 2nd one but awful. I met the 3 remaining Doors when they were promoting "Other Voices" at a radio station in San Jose,California. Thet were also performing in Berkeley that night. They actually toured during that period.Manzarek was the nicest. Robbie was spaced but friendly. Densmore was a prick.
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2006 :  07:35:52  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was that Berkely in Dec,1971? There's only one song that has been survived from that evening, Light My Fire. Do you perhaps know of a recording?

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 29/03/2006 07:36:05
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2006 :  07:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calm down Freedom Man. Sorry, but I know of no recordings but i'm sure Wolfgang's
vault has the whole damn show somewhere stashed.
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2006 :  08:35:00  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wolfgang,s vault has taken off some Doors they had, due to rights 'n all, so I don't think they will broadcast it.
But at least we have one song from that evening......

PRESS THE LINK!

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 29/03/2006 08:35:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page