New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tiburon
Third Love

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  18:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I had a talked with my friend today about this one, and he says Arthur didn't write that song i was wondering was it actually a Jay donallen song that maybe he didnt get credit for or what. as usual i probably am the only one who doesnt know this.

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy answer to this one fella. The answer is that Arthur wrote the song. He's the one that's credited on the album, also within the sleevenotes Jay Donnelan states that August was the first song he rehearsed and he was surprised at the new approach Arthur was taking as he had arrived with an acoustic expecting a similar vein to Forever Changes.

Incidentally, Jay got a co-writing credit for Singing Cowboy off the smae album
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  21:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur can write anything.

In essence he is the man, and I want to play kazoo in his new group.

-Thom
Go to Top of Page

Tiburon
Third Love

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2006 :  00:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to tell my friend about this one. it is a very good song and has a lot of prog elements to it too.
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2006 :  06:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always especially dug that part where he sings in that near-falsetto: "I share all my dinings with you..." Pure Arthur. Sharing his meals with August.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2006 :  16:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that part as well. For me and my girlfriend (who resisted Love for so long), it is the part when he says "it picks me up when I'm doowwwn".

This song is so in the vain of Ben Harper's current stuff. Four Sail is great. I liked hearing him play it live at the HOB, on the CD I made thanks to Arnstein. I like how he changed August from an "it" to a "she".

-Thomas Galasso

I can't wait to put August up on the MySpace.
Go to Top of Page

JayDonnellan
First Love

24 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  18:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on, Arthur wrote August... I did write the chords and melody to Singing Cowboy and Arthur wrote the lyric. I still wonder was the only song I wrote by myself...Many albums miss credit the writing of these songs... giving credit... and money to Arthur.. JD
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Jay

Thanks for connecting with us. You are a monster of the guitar, and I admire your work man. I really do, as does my little son who also has been influenced by his father's music collection at a very young age.

-Thomas

I Still Wonder....I know the song title, but I cannot place the album, Out Here ?
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  20:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

I Still Wonder....I know the song title, but I cannot place the album, Out Here ?

Yes and my album copy, which I bought on release on the UK Harvest label, says All songs written and arranged by Arthurly (as he was calling himself at the time) except, and there's a little heart symbol by I Still Wonder, and by the symbol it says Arranged by Jay Donnellan and Arthurly. On the label it's listed as I Still Wonder(Donnellann), Roccocco Music.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  03:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,

I am going to check the credits on my CD. I have an original issue of it on MCA Universal.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  17:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jay, congrats on writing I STILL WONDER one of LOVES finest imo...
"down in the middle of a nightmare day-dream..i still wonder WHY?"
KILLER GUITAR, GREAT LYRICS...Timeless....LOVE..Allan..

Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  18:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN
Hi Jay, congrats on writing I STILL WONDER one of LOVES finest imo...
"down in the middle of a nightmare day-dream..i still wonder WHY?"
KILLER GUITAR, GREAT LYRICS...Timeless....LOVE..Allan..

Agreed, allanagain. That's one of my big faves too. Jay's guitar is searing hot on it, Arthur's doubled-up vocals sound so cool doing those great lyrics, and it has that neat CSN-like harmony bridge in it too. For me it's one that stands apart from the rest of the catalogue, yet still definitely works out to be a solid LOVE tune.
So my hat's off to you as well Jay...
Jon
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and Jay's guitar work acoustically and on the electric on "August" is so important and omnipresent, that he probably should have gotten partial writing credit for the tune.
I listened again to the second side of "Four Sail", which I had previously put down here, and I think it's much better than I had thought, but it's still not as great as the other side with "August", Good Times" etc...
I guess Jay was right, bad drugs:')
Go to Top of Page

JayDonnellan
First Love

24 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  02:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OR... the GOOD drugs made the BAD side... and... who knows? thanks for the guitar and song thoughts .. appreciated. It would have been nice to get paid though.... Bad times for Arthur.. hope he can pull through this new bout.... He sure can hustle though... only takes him minutes to form a new band and keep right on going... ballsy... I think that is what everyone really likes about him. jd
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  16:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even sang about it way back then too,
"Now I got another group
Didn't take too long"
deee--deedee-deedee-deedee...
: )
Go to Top of Page