Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

razortotinjim
Second Love

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  19:45:13  Show Profile  Visit razortotinjim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnbhoy

There is no bad Love album and although some are obviously 'better' than others I don't think there's much merit in rating them in order of preference. All I would like to say is that if Revelation had been dropped from Da Capo in favour of songs more in line with the others on Side One (eg more of Bryan's songs) then FC would have had a serious rival for Number One album. I do like Revelation but imho it was a cop-out to fill a complete side with a glorified jamming session.

That EX Pression unreleased album (I believe entitled More Changes) has the only studio tracks I think I've still to hear..... Thailand, . Can anyone shed any light on these two tracks please ?

Lisbon 1967

"Thirty Going Home" is the same as "20 On My Way" and Thailand is a 6 min. reggae tune. They can be found on what I have called on my list (link below) Outtakes 73-77. Click on the dates in blue for the contents of each entry.

this is the time in life that I am livin' and I'll face each day with a smile
http://db.etree.org/razortotinjim
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  17:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the French Rose release, there is a tune which uses The Seeds "Can't Seem to Make You Mine" as a backing track, its terrible. Another cut on it has this contrived live audience clapping, sounds like the audio came from a effects box.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  19:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

On the French Rose release, there is a tune which uses The Seeds "Can't Seem to Make You Mine" as a backing track, its terrible. Another cut on it has this contrived live audience clapping, sounds like the audio came from a effects box.

What's your take on Back on the Scene? That happens to be one of
my favorites.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  01:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those wanting to know, I finally heard four tracks from 1977's More Changes. It is somewhat of a light r&b/funk album. There is a version of I Do Wonder which appears on the Forever Changes Deluxe Edition. I wasn't so sure if I liked it. There is a song called Happy You which is very interesting.

One of the tunes was quite relaxing, Do You Know the Secret ? Is the name. I think this album (if these songs is any indication) would not have done much to further his career. It is a nice, somewhat throwaway (being harsh). His ability and talent outweighs these songs, which are still better than half the stuff on the radio these days.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  17:08:30  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all those tracks you mentioned are featured on the rhino album, some of which are featured on the 1977 e.p.

whats everyones take on reel to real?

that usually gets a hard time but i think its excellent.

dave pearce.

"oh the snot has caked against my pants.........it has turned into crystal"
Go to Top of Page

razortotinjim
Second Love

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  17:50:48  Show Profile  Visit razortotinjim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave

all those tracks you mentioned are featured on the rhino album, some of which are featured on the 1977 e.p.

whats everyones take on reel to real?

that usually gets a hard time but i think its excellent.

dave pearce.

"oh the snot has caked against my pants.........it has turned into crystal"

Sadly underated. My wife and I may listen to Reel to Real more than anything else. "Be Thankful For What You Got" is one my all time favs. Love to see it reissued on CD with some alternate takes or deleted songs.

Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  18:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard "Back On The Scene". As great as a song as "Be Thankful for what you've got", it was written and performed by William Devaughn. One of the all time low rider tunes. I had an EP that Arthur Lee did sometime in the mid 70's with "I Do Wonder" and some other recycled songs. He sounded flat out of ideas, with way too many medicore songs that he kept repackaging. He sounded out of step with music in general, as punk was starting to make waves I would have liked to have seen a back to the basics of early Love album. Hell, The Ramones idolized Love, and especially the bass playing of Ken Forssi. Arthur was in my mind at his worst in the mid 70's, trapped in that monochromed Johnny Mathis, background music sound.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  20:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I personally like Reel to Real very much. I like virtually every song, but I must admit, it is a very curious album. Everybody's Gotta Live is nice, as well as Time is Like a River. Which Witch is Which, Stop the Music, kick ass. I find You Said You Would to be very fun.

Make no mistake : This is not Forever Changes ! In fact I may even have appreciated the album more if it were an Arthur Lee solo album (just kind of a mental barrier).

I hope to see it get issued on CD.

-Thomas Galasso

I got more mileage out of this record than Five String Serenade and False Start.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  21:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love reel to real as well, i know "be thankfull" isn,t Arthus song, but he sure does it justice, and "time is likea river" is just beautifual. Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the album Lizzy B. mentioned with "MR.LEE" on it, i had it years ago on tape, and personally i realy liked it, "Many Rivers To Cross" is on it too.
I have never even known the name of the album, hope you can help..Allan
Go to Top of Page

razortotinjim
Second Love

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  01:35:27  Show Profile  Visit razortotinjim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

I love reel to real as well, i know "be thankfull" isn,t Arthus song, but he sure does it justice, and "time is likea river" is just beautifual. Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the album Lizzy B. mentioned with "MR.LEE" on it, i had it years ago on tape, and personally i realy liked it, "Many Rivers To Cross" is on it too.

ARTHUR LEE
Released UK 7/81
Beggars Banquet BEGA 26
Rhino RNLP 020

1. One
2. I Do Wonder
3. Just Us (Buford)
4. Happy You
5. Do You Know The Secret? (Lee-Walker)
6. One and One

1. 7 & 7 Is
2. Mr. Lee (Dixon-Gathers-Webb-Pought)
3. Bend Down
4. Down Street
5. Stay Away From Evil
6. Many Rivers to Cross (Cliff)

All other songs written by Arthur Lee except where otherwise indicated

Performers:
Arthur Lee: Guitar, Piano, Harmonica, Vocal
Velvert Turner: Guitar on First Side Track 1. Second Side Track 1, 3
Joe Blocker: Drums First Side Track 1. Second Side Track 1, 2, 3, 4
John Sterling: Guitar First Side Track 1, 2 and 4. Second Side Track 1, 3, 4 Slide Guitar on First Side Track 3
Mike Curtis: Bass First Side Track 1. Second Side Track 1, 3
George Suranovich: Drums First Side Track 2, 3 and 4
Kim Kesterson: Bass First Side Track 2, 3 and 4
Sherwood Akuna: Bass First Side Track 5 and 6. Second Side Track 2, 4, 5
Carlos Carraby: Drums First Side Track 1. Second Side Track 5
Herman McCormick: Backing Vocal on 5, 6
Otis Walker: Vocal on First Side Track 5
Neil Williams: Guitar First Side Track 6. Second Side Track 5
Melvan Whittington: Guitar Second Side Track 2, 4
Azell Taylor: Vocal Second Side Track 2
Bob Johnson: Vocal Second Side Track 2, 4

Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  12:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the album Lizzy B. mentioned with "MR.LEE" on it, i had it years ago on tape, and personally i realy liked it, "Many Rivers To Cross" is on it too.

For some reasons the direct link breaks when I post it here but go to:
http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/
Put Arthur Lee in the search, click on Lee, Arthur and two copies come up, one at £9.60. Direct link below should also work if you copy and paste:
http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/nsdsdd/1/1/Lee%20Arthur|Arthur%20Lee/1/Lee%2C%20Arthur/9/1/9999/0.html

Edited by - mikeb on 07/04/2006 12:14:32
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  15:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info guys, i,m gonna do my best to get it back in the collection, now i,ve seen the track listing i remember i really like(D)DOWN STREET as well...........love......Allan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page