Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Apart from Forever Changes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 02/02/2009 : 00:16:27

I would think that nearly all of us on this site regard Forever Changes as one of the finest albums ever made....if not a cornerstone of western civilisation. But I was wondering which of Love's other records people would place second.

I would definitely go for Four Sail. This album for some reason has always had a certain mystique for me. When I first saw it in a shop in 1971, I didn't have a clue about any of Love's personnel - though I think I would have been surprised if I'd known that only one member from the preceding album had been present. William S Harvey did a magnificent job on the cover art - and it was great to see that this had been faithfully reproduced when Rhino gave the album its first decent CD release a few years back. But it was the magnificent music....August, I'm With You, Robert Montgomery, Nothing and Always See Your Face.......that really did it for me .....late 60s West Coast rock at its very best.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 04/03/2009 : 19:13:01
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Whos KAFKA?!

LOL!!

http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1985
Joe Morris Posted - 04/03/2009 : 17:32:15
Whos KAFKA?!

LOL!!
John9 Posted - 04/03/2009 : 14:10:34
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

(A) my love
(B) my love
so hard to choose

(Arthur?)
(Bryan?)

..Did they both fancy the same girl?

NOT the infamous "Pretty"!

.........which of course takes us back to the lengthy, but unresolved discussion we had last year about The Castle and its possible connection with Kafka's novel of the same name.
Joe Morris Posted - 04/03/2009 : 11:00:16
(A) my love
(B) my love
so hard to choose

(Arthur?)
(Bryan?)

..Did they both fancy the same girl?

NOT the infamous "Pretty"!
jayson_valentine Posted - 04/03/2009 : 04:52:47
I'll stand corrected. I listened to FC last night on really nice headphones, and Arthur sings Andmoreagain, though it sounds like Aunt Morgan. The rumor concerning Bryan and Arthur was that they were allegedly dating a woman by the name of Androulla Morenoa.
rocker Posted - 03/03/2009 : 15:19:08
Regarding the post FC records:
I guess when you have a masterpiece what do you have to do for an encore? I always looked at FC as Arthur's vision carried all the way through from inception to execution. The fact is he had a grand idea that came out very well. All in all we could've been treated to another like FC if Arthur managed to get other and new musical ideas different from the way he managed to go after FC. I don't know. Maybe he just wanted to rock after all the heady stuff in FC.
bob f. Posted - 03/03/2009 : 14:53:09
"...wrapped up like a douche, you know the runner in the night..."
another wrong lyrics.
yeah, i've heard that about Stephanie, and Andmoreagain. maybe.

...what the world needs now...
myoungish Posted - 03/03/2009 : 01:52:17
Hey, bob f., I seem to remember reading that Andmore was a play on Stephanie's last name (from Stephanie Knows Who.) Both Arthur and Bryan dated and competed for her, and she loomed large over both of them during that period. "What's in your mind, dear Stephanie?!" It would be great to hear her side of the whole story. I wonder if The Castle ever talked to her?

Michael Young
lemonade kid Posted - 02/03/2009 : 17:12:26
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

quote:
or CCR..."there's a bathroom on the rise!"

No, you fool. The bathroom's on the RIGHT!

But what was that guy who saw a film today sore at?

Right, ed, I always get those lyric s WRONG......"on the RIGHT!!" Thanks again, ed!! Any other lyrics you can help me on, let me know!!

Ed, here's another one that I think I got the lyrics wrong back in '67.....

Well, she's fashionably lean
And she's fashionably lain.....

She won't waste time on any mensch too tall
She's a twentieth century fox!!

John9 Posted - 02/03/2009 : 17:03:22
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

Four Sail had some good individual songs on it, but while the band had great players this version of Love never meshed as a group. I would almost count that album as an Arthur Lee solo effort. Also, by this time other bands had caught up and surpassed Love in terms of overall sound. The second band had a lumbering sound that lacked the finesse and roots rock that the original Love had in spades.

I take the point about the later group not having quite the subtlety of the original ensemble. I just think that some critics have been too quick to dismiss Love's post 1968 work. For a refreshingly balanced perspective, I turn to the Rough Guide To Rock (1999):

"Lee's original title - Love For Sale - hinted at the pressure on the group to produce commercial music and indeed, he and (the other members)did come up with a very solid - occasionally brilliant - straight rock album." - admirably put!

Out Here is judged "a sprawling, sometimes ragged affair, with strong short songs nestling alongside interminable workouts" - fair enough!

False Start is generously described as "having a certain sly charm....lacking direction....an album of moments". - couldn't have summed it up better myself!
ed the bear Posted - 02/03/2009 : 16:03:00
quote:
or CCR..."there's a bathroom on the rise!"

No, you fool. The bathroom's on the RIGHT!

But what was that guy who saw a film today sore at?
ZFarrar Posted - 02/03/2009 : 07:45:16

Four Sail had some good individual songs on it, but while the band had great players this version of Love never meshed as a group. I would almost count that album as an Arthur Lee solo effort. Also, by this time other bands had caught up and surpassed Love in terms of overall sound. The second band had a lumbering sound that lacked the finesse and roots rock that the original Love had in spades.
Joe Morris Posted - 27/02/2009 : 03:47:29
Where is GOLDSTAR Boulevard anyway?

Near the Strip?

I think the original Love recordings (when band managed by Hopkins) were at Gold Star Studios

Coincidence?!

Gotta go play the song now. Listening to Forever Changes for the 1,326th time

Anyone know what songs registered by Arthur Lee with ASCAP that have never seen the light of day?
Lizzyb Posted - 27/02/2009 : 00:27:16
and here's the queen of the misheard lyric
'down on go-stop boulevard'
I've got so many wrong over the years I don't know which is right.

though I have embraced 'I'll thumb a ride' which in my 14yr old head was 'i don't know why'.

also 'icy shivers in my spine' - I liked that better really..
(it was) just my imagination.

Keep on shining
bob f. Posted - 26/02/2009 : 22:34:04
Andmore must have meant something 'cause he did use the phrase in the first album for, "And More". Then, " Andmoreagain".
maybe it was just wordplay. who knows.

...what the world needs now...

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page