Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Psychedelic bands

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arnstein Posted - 31/07/2005 : 13:24:27
Do you have any great recomendations of psychedelic bands other than Love?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jesse981 Posted - 14/12/2005 : 11:21:44
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

There's a wealth of stuff to explore here:www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung

Why do u do this to us?

online poker listings - Germany Houses
boombox Posted - 23/11/2005 : 02:38:38
quote:
Originally posted by MHM

Also there's a bootleg album you can get quite easily called Phillipe DeBarge by the Pretty Things, album after SF Sorrow, that due to odd reasons/folklore, wasn't ever officially released. The quality of the bootleg is reasonable on cd and it's definitely worth a spin or twenty.

Don't buy it - it is well-spread in trading circles (though I still can't track down a decent pic of the cover!!). Not my favourite Pretties boot, but I agree it's interesting. Basically it was a rich French guy(Phillipe Debarge) who offered the cash to the band to record with him. Musicianship is high and some of the songs should have been rerecorded for future Pretties releases.
MHM Posted - 22/11/2005 : 22:14:31
The Merry Go Round have finally had their back catalogue put out on cd. Some great things on there, You're A Very Lovely Woman & Live for two. Emitt Rhodes wrote some good tunes.
The United States of America's album has some great tunes on it and is very out there in places.
And if you like good psyche from this side of the pond, keep an eye out on Ebay or Amamzon for a cd called The Great British Psychedelic Trip Vol.1 1966-1969. That has got some blinding stuff on there. Red Sky At Night by The Accent, Come On Back by Paul & Ritchie & the Cryin' Shames, Tales of Flossie Fillet by Turquoise, great stuff!
Also there's a bootleg album you can get quite easily called Phillipe DeBarge by the Pretty Things, album after SF Sorrow, that due to odd reasons/folklore, wasn't ever officially released. The quality of the bootleg is reasonable on cd and it's definitely worth a spin or twenty.

www.BryanMacLean.com www.ZENuk.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
MHM Posted - 22/11/2005 : 22:01:40
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

asrolobe33 (Jon) and MHM (Chris)

I got Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators about a week ago on CD. It's awesome...I play it all the time now. Great recommendation and Thank You.

Before the Jefferson Airplane, there was a group called The Great Society. I think this was Gracie's first band. I have a double LP which includes a first album, Conspicuous Only in its Absence, and it's like early garage semi psychedelic. Great versions of Somebody to Love and White Rabbit. I feel that Gracie was at her best with this LP. It's early SF...recorded at The Matrix, well before Gracie became so commercial.

Allan

The Great Society are tops. I got a live album of there's many years back, very innocent psyche, very cool. Love the early jazzy version of White Rabbit. The first 13th Floor Elevators album with You're Gonna Miss Me is well worth getting too.

www.BryanMacLean.com www.ZENuk.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
astrolobe33 Posted - 02/11/2005 : 21:07:43
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

Both albums from the Collectors are at Freak Emporium at a reasonable price:
https://www.freakemporium.com/new3/index_ns.cgi?band=Collectors

GAD! you guys are right, what a cool but dangerous place. I had to ban myself as well, instantly upon setting foot inside. But I'm sure I'll be back! Had a crazy bender on ebay recently, I'm now waaay overextended.
Jon
mikeb Posted - 02/11/2005 : 18:39:10
Both albums from the Collectors are at Freak Emporium at a reasonable price:
https://www.freakemporium.com/new3/index_ns.cgi?band=Collectors
jellybean Posted - 02/11/2005 : 12:51:20
yeh, i've had to ban myself from going on it now and again as i can't browse, i just have to buy!!! even typing in the link for you guys..ended up with me buying two cd's..oh lordy, banned myself again
Arnstein Posted - 01/11/2005 : 16:33:49
Yes, a great site! It also has my favourite psychedelic band: Devil Doll!
Allan Posted - 01/11/2005 : 15:07:15
Jellybean-excellent link. If I were a rich man, I'd buy a ton of stuff on this site

Allan
jellybean Posted - 01/11/2005 : 14:02:03
dunno of it's been mentioned but www.freakemporium.com
is a great site to buy some cool pysche
astrolobe33 Posted - 01/11/2005 : 00:55:47
Speaking of the Godz I should add, there was some sad news the other day. This was posted at a group I belong to.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:31:47 -0000 "Ray Brazen" writes:
> It was quite unfortunate to learn Thursday night, via surviving
> member
> Larry Kessler, that Jay Dillon, the most mysterious member of the
> Godz, who left the group after their second album and was never
> seen
> or heard from again, is dead. So estranged had he become from his
> former bandmates that they didn't know the news until this month --
> this after he had supposedly been dead for at least a few years.
> It's
> been my sad duty to spread the word of this to all his fans and to
> the
> president of ESP who knew him (and employed him as art director for
> the label) even before the Godz had formed. He'd allegedly been
> leading a quiet life in New Jersey as a painter and there had been
> a
> memorial showing of his paintings at a gallery somewhere in
> Pennsylvania or South Jersey this past August (a night I'd spent,
> interestingly enough, hanging out with Paul Thornton, another
> ex-Godz
> member).
>
> I am currently researching the matter hoping to turn up more
> details
> of Jay's life and death which I hope to eventually post on FIRST
> CHURCH OF THE GODZ. More information on the band (and a brief
> memorial
> & dedication to Jay) can be found on my website...
>
> http://www.raybrazen.com/godz2.htm
>
> The source of this sad news (including commentary from Jim
> McCarthy)
> can be found here...
>
> http://threelobed.com/bardo/messageboard/message/975/
astrolobe33 Posted - 31/10/2005 : 21:57:43
quote:
Originally posted by oldfartatplay

...Elektra(along with ESP),was the coolest label on the planet at the time.

ESP was cool. The only groups I remember from it now are the Fugs and the Godz (were the Holy Modal Rounders?). The Godz made a monumental impression on me (as in like, a huge monument FELL on me, and left a big mark) at about 16 in the wee '80s, when I excavated it from a dusty old store with creaky uneven floorboards. The Godz 2 it was. "Radar Eyes" pierced me straight thru, "WhereWhereWhere" warped me good, and "Soon the Moon" slingshot me way out there. I won't even say what I saw in "Permanent Green Light"...
Weird, weird, stuff.
"in your eeeeeyyyeess i found hope/i found hope on your radar scope,"
Jon
astrolobe33 Posted - 31/10/2005 : 21:41:38
quote:
Originally posted by oldfartatplay

Hi Allan - I guess that like many of the folk of a certain vintage who visit these boards after turning on to the first two Love & Doors albums I realized that Elektra(along with ESP),was the coolest label on the planet at the time.I think I checked out just about every album on their catalogue....including the turkey's(David Peel & the Lower East Side anyone?).Earth Opera featured the Rowan brothers,of whom Peter Rowan has gone on to be one of the finest Country/Rock artists around....and the writer of 'Panama Red'(a New Riders classic).He also is a fine exponent of that great western tradition.....the Cowboy Yodel!Perhaps his finest hour is to be found on the classic 'Old & In the Way' album with a fantastic line-up which includes Peter,David Grisman(the Mandolin maestro),ol'Cap'n Trips himself,Jerry Garcia on Banjo(RIP),and the recently departed Vassar Clements on fiddle...all cooking up a storm at a live gig in SF.With Vassars passing this album has been a semi-permanent feature on the record deck in this household just recently.However,to get back on thread.....me thinks that every psychedelic cabin in the sky should have a copy of Jerry Garcia's first solo album 'Garcia'.Ol' Jerry certainly knew how to take his passengers on a magical mystery tour,and this one is a definitely recommended for the Bean-Bag & Head-phone voyagers....Carlos Casteneda move over!

Oldfartatplay, Allan, bob f., et al, thanks for a great suggestion with Earth Opera. I just received a slab-o-wax of it the other day, and y'all are right! Great stuff. I had not heard of it before. I had discovered Rowan (though still only slightly) about 2 years ago, saw him do a big gig in Norfolk with Grisman, Jorma K, and Sam Bush--each of those four with their own groups. Peter had Tony Rice backing him in his group, I've been a big TR fan for years. Psychedelic Bluegrass if there ever was such a thing. Ever since then I'd been planning to check into more Rowan stuff. Cheers, stay fuzzed,
Jon
astrolobe33 Posted - 31/10/2005 : 21:23:44
Ryan, re: the Collectors, I did some poking around, and they appear really cool. But scarce, and EXPENSIVE! Thanks for the tip..
Jon
ryan Posted - 18/10/2005 : 08:10:10
I don't think anyone has mentioned The Collectors, a band from British Columbia that put out two albums on Warner Bros. and several singles between 1967-69. They were produced by Dave Hassinger who engineered Love's Da Capo. The first Collectors album follows a similar format to Da Capo with five fairly short songs on side one and a 20 minute Doors influenced epic on side two featuring some amazing vocal harmonies and one of the greatest sax solos ever recorded. Members of The Collectors did much of the vocal work on The Electric Prunes Mass in F Minor also produced by Hassinger. Hassinger engineered or produced many other rock classics such as The Stones' Out of Heads (which includes "Satisfaction") and Aftermath (with the 10 minute "Goin' Home" allegedly inspired by Love's "Revelation"), Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow, The Grateful Dead's first album, most Electric Prunes, and Sweetwater.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page