Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Favourite albums released in the last 12 months

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
caryne Posted - 08/11/2008 : 11:35:01
Just thought it would be interesting to hear people's likes here. I do mean NEW albums not re-issues, of course.

I have many but I would like to give a mention to

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
Glasvegas - First Album
Isael Campbell and Mark Lanegan - Sunday at Dirt Devil
Tony Christie - Made in Sheffield
Tindersticks - The Hungry Saw
Marc Almond - Bluegate Fields, Live at Wilton's Music Hall
Calexico - Carried to Dust
Lambchop - Ohio

Sure I'll think of others...
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 13/11/2008 : 22:05:01
"On The Beach" is my favorite too (although his first LP will always have a special place in my heart).

The tragic times that led up to the creation of "Beach" started when Neil fired Danny Whiten for being strung out on heroine during "Harvest" rehearsals and so was too out-of-it to perform. Danny just couldn't cut it, so Neil told Danny to go home & gave him fifty bucks ----and told Danny to get himself straight. Whitten took the $50, bought some more heroine & died of an overdose that very night.

Neil has never forgiven himself. Neil lost a soul-mate in music & friend that he loved. Young went on to record what has become known as The Ditch or Doom Triology, with "On The Beach" being the last LP of the Three recorded. It didn't sell well but is considered his best by many. Out of loss and grief, sometimes come the greatest works, I guess.

watchinallthapeople Posted - 13/11/2008 : 20:40:06
Crayne! haha we'll have to argee to disagree! good to have a chat though!

kid

Yeah I love the Danny Whiten stuff that I've heard that album with don't wanna talk about it is a classic, I don't think it ever got released on this side of the pond so I've got a jap import which has that horses head then japaneese text which looks pretty cool!
My all time favourite Young album's "On the Beach",
seems like its after the comedown from the 60's utopianism, bleak and disillusioned but then with ah **** it, what the hell, kind of blissed out, seen the light kinda optimism.
I've got two vinyls one for keeps and one for listenin two as you can't get a CD (last time I checked)!
Not checked out the webpage in a while but it was cool that basically It took someone from the sixties to make a stand against Bush
My generation where pretty lapse although re-deemed somewhat recently.
Heard about his latest project to convert old US cars to hybrids
Here's a vid of his interview on Lettermann where he's talking about the project

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZmBa8luEI

He says he's writting a song called "singing a song won't change the world"
Kinda sums him up
alot of bands sit about preachin about **** you know like the Al Gore concerts that used ridiculous amounts of energy but don't do anything

Neil's like I'm gonna make a Cadillac that gets 100 miles to the gallon

nuff respect:)

lemonade kid Posted - 13/11/2008 : 04:14:03
Yep, Neil Young is the man, watchin'. Bought his 1968 eponymous LP..in '68, so I was able to enjoy that LP the way Neil intended. Still have it. You probably know the whole re-mastered tracks story.

Neil never rests on his laurels. A 20 minute track!! No one does it like Neil. You must have "Living With War". A great album for sure. He had (has)a web page called Living With War that was rather "left wing" to put it lightly. It counted down the number of days Bush had left...I gotta check it out now, again...since the WAR continues.

Do you have the first Crazy Horse LP? A great one indeed!! How about The Rockets LP?

lemonade kid Posted - 13/11/2008 : 04:10:17
Yep, neil young is the man, watchin'. Bought his 1968 eponymous LP..in '68, so I was able to enjoy that LP the way Neil intended. Still have it. You probably know the whole re-mastered tracks story.

A 20 minute track!! No one does it like Neil. You must have "living With War". A great album for sure. He had (has)a web page called Living With War that was rather "left wing" to put it lightly. It counted down the number of days Bush had left...gotta check it out now...since the WAR continues.

Do you have the first Crazy Horse LP? A great one indeed!! How about The Rockets LP?

caryne Posted - 13/11/2008 : 03:06:11
quote:
Originally posted by watchinallthapeople

Caryne

Hey a bit of humour (but its true about my cat!)
My argument on that matter would be factory farming is a hideous thing
but if animals are free range they live a much better lifestyle than if they were fending for themselves in the wild
Death is a horrible thing no matter what happens but from my perpective
its alot more humane to kill a cow or a pig with a quick shot to the head (instantaneuos)
than to be torn apart by a pack of wolves and eaten alive (can last up to hours)
which is what would happen to any farm animal if it where in its natural environment
If every one gave up eating meat and all farm animals were sent to nature reserves the only way to stop them being slaughtered in unpleasant circumstances would be to regularly hunt and kill their wild predators which would essentially be more killing of animals by humans
The animal kingdom is cruel and so I'd say well regulated free range farming is better than everyone becoming a veggie
I totally respect vegetarianism as a personal choice

Yes it is a personal choice but, guess what, you don't have to kill anything. The world is not going to turn 100% vegetarian overnight so there wouldn't be milliions of farm animals to put in nature reserves... as the need lessened then they simply would not be bred in the numbers they are now and would simply cease to exist as a species. Very few of the animals we eat are natural anyway, they are deformed creations bred for food and nothing like the original cows, pigs, sheep etc. If there are a small number kept (though personlly I fail to see what the point would be in that) I don't really think it would be that difficult to look after them without them being killed by ravaging wolves..this doesn't happen now so why would it if we all stopped eating them. Would the fact that they are being kept as 'pet's make them tastier to the wolves????

No the animal kingdom is not 'cruel', cruelty is a human concept so only humans can be cruel. Non humans do not have an understanding of cruel they just do 'what comes naturally'. As I said, the cat/lion/bear/wolf etc has to kill to survive, it's not 'cruel' it's nature. We do not have to kill anything to survive, that the huge difference. So, there is no logic that it is better to have well-maintained farms, where the animals still die, than to not kill them at all. In fact, and I know you are just trying to wind me up but I might as well reply anyway, your argument is the silliest thing I have ever heard in my life.
watchinallthapeople Posted - 12/11/2008 : 20:24:03
Caryne

Hey a bit of humour (but its true about my cat!)
My argument on that matter would be factory farming is a hideous thing
but if animals are free range they live a much better lifestyle than if they were fending for themselves in the wild
Death is a horrible thing no matter what happens but from my perpective
its alot more humane to kill a cow or a pig with a quick shot to the head (instantaneuos)
than to be torn apart by a pack of wolves and eaten alive (can last up to hours)
which is what would happen to any farm animal if it where in its natural environment
If every one gave up eating meat and all farm animals were sent to nature reserves the only way to stop them being slaughtered in unpleasant circumstances would be to regularly hunt and kill their wild predators which would essentially be more killing of animals by humans
The animal kingdom is cruel and so I'd say well regulated free range farming is better than everyone becoming a veggie
I totally respect vegetarianism as a personal choice

Lemonade Kid

Yeah I love it
Its grungey Neil more than Folky Neil that was on Prairie Wind

Ordinary people has more of the awsome brass that was on Prairie wind and is probably the stand out track
Its twenty odd minutes on the album
Neil always knows when he's onto something good eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQVLYR908PA

No hidden path is an awsome rocker too he's been playing it live on the latest tour

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDtYCuXBnLs

If youre a Young fan you should check out the Black Keys definately got a Neil and Crazy Horse Vibe goin on

This one got some cool banjo, honkey tonk piano etc on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbtSVWZyL_Y

This ones a straight rocker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9AfKcHwoP4

lemonade kid Posted - 12/11/2008 : 14:39:46
quote:

On the best albums!

The Black Keys "Attack and Release"
The Roots "Rising Down"
Beck "Modern Guilt"
Neil Young "Chrome Dreams II"
TV on the Radio "Dear Science"

:)

I'm curious about Neil's "Chrome Dreams II"....I love Neil--what direction did he go on this album, or is it a compilation?

caryne Posted - 12/11/2008 : 12:18:09
quote:

Just to be a contrarian twat

If everybodies all concerned about animals suffering due to farming
then what about all the other animals killing each other?
If my (absolutely awesome) cat brings back another smaller animal should she be guilty?
Lions eating springboks?
The veritable slaughter that goes on every second in a rainforest?
I can see the ecological argument against eating meat but the ethical one just seems pretty weak

Incidently my cat is actually pretty close to a vegan
she just drinks water and eats biscuits and the occasional bug
(but I think the bugs are probably more for fun than the nutritional content although I'm no dietician)
its the strangest ****
we've been trying to get her to eat meat (from a tin) for years as we thought it might be bad for her health as they're naturally meant to be carnivores
but she will literally go days without eating until will give her the biscuits
trippy ****

I'm guessing you are just trying to be funny?

The big difference, as I am sure you are aware, is humans have a choice, other animals do not. It is that simple. Other animals do not factory farm, raise other animals in terrible conditions and then kill them. They merely (as humans did thousands of years ago) hunt and gather. The animals that other animals hunt and kill lived natural lives until the moment of their death.

I do not have to kill any living creature for my food supply, I exist very healthily without contributing to any slaughter and suffering, that is the difference. That is the ethical reason.
watchinallthapeople Posted - 12/11/2008 : 01:14:03
On the best albums!

The Black Keys "Attack and Release"
The Roots "Rising Down"
Beck "Modern Guilt"
Neil Young "Chrome Dreams II"
TV on the Radio "Dear Science"

:)
watchinallthapeople Posted - 12/11/2008 : 01:04:19
Just to be a contrarian twat

If everybodies all concerned about animals suffering due to farming
then what about all the other animals killing each other?
If my (absolutely awesome) cat brings back another smaller animal should she be guilty?
Lions eating springboks?
The veritable slaughter that goes on every second in a rainforest?
I can see the ecological argument against eating meat but the ethical one just seems pretty weak

Incidently my cat is actually pretty close to a vegan
she just drinks water and eats biscuits and the occasional bug
(but I think the bugs are probably more for fun than the nutritional content although I'm no dietician)
its the strangest ****
we've been trying to get her to eat meat (from a tin) for years as we thought it might be bad for her health as they're naturally meant to be carnivores
but she will literally go days without eating until will give her the biscuits
trippy ****

boombox Posted - 11/11/2008 : 18:38:32
Bringing this back on track - all this discussion of food is making me hungry! : ;)

My fabourite album for probably more than a year: 'The Great Unravel' by Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. Can't get enough of this band. Any fan of 60s music should check them out. www.slambovia.com - tune into the Radio Free Slambovia page.

'Live at the Murat' by Umphreys McGee. Good US jamband. Not sure it's exactly within last twelve months, though am pretty sure it had a late 2007 release date)

And not forgetting of course, Jefferson Starship's 'Jefferson's Tree of Liberty', which is a return to the bands folk roots - about 1/3 of the album is available to hear on their myspace page.
caryne Posted - 11/11/2008 : 15:38:24
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Thanks, carye. I'll try the cheese & I do love soy milk, especially my chocolate!

I am always getting told off(by meat eaters who like to think they have a point to get at me!!) about eating soya as vast areas of land are destroyed to grow it. However, the majority of this land is destroyed to grow soya to feed animals for meat/dairy. If we didn't have the animal products there would be far less land needed for crops anyway.

http://www.vegansociety.com/environment/land/

PS Soya cheese doesn't really taste like dairy cheese but it works as a good alternative on things where you would have dairy cheese.
lemonade kid Posted - 11/11/2008 : 15:31:05
Thanks, carye. I'll try the cheese & I do love soy milk, especially my chocolate!

caryne Posted - 11/11/2008 : 10:33:43
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:

Right on the music there, caryne.

You obviously spend your money wisely, fellow vegan. (well, I'm actually an Ovo-Lacto vegetarian) You sound like someone who lives life to their fullest potential.....and music can take you anywhere. No vices except music.......

Maybe you would like some advice on becoming vegan? I've been vegan for nearly thirty years and it's definitely the best thing to do for a number of reasons, whether for humans, animals or the planet.

Thanks, caryne. I'm aware of the implications of corporate farming, whether it be beef or milk, but I buy locally from a small, planet friendly coop.....a very aware little university town here, with many activists on all fronts. I've been through vegan & back, & made my choice, which I believe is better that raising crops that feed cattle, only to slaughter them. A little inefficient, not to mention the pollution. I've driven through parts of Texas where the penned cattle go on for miles & miles, & the stench of methane & fresh blood is so strong that it could turn any red blooded beefeater into a vegetarian. But I do like my refried beans and organic cheese No jokes about the methane released, please! Regular consumption eliminates that issue.

I won't go on too much but, as I am sure you are aware, for cows/goats/sheep etc to produce milk they have to produce calves regularly, these calves are then (largely) sold for slaughter so by consuming dairy you are contributing to that slaughter. Even a small scale, 'ethical', farm has to do this or else they would be, quite soon, over run by animals.

I like refried beans too but over here you can get a huge variety of soya cheese which you can use on them as well as on pizzas etc, etc. However, to be honest, no matter what food I craved (and believe me I used to love dairy products too) I could not possibly eat them knowing the suffering involved in their production. Sorry, end of rant now.

http://www.vegansociety.com/animals/exploitation/cows/dairy_cow.php
lemonade kid Posted - 10/11/2008 : 18:15:34
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:

Right on the music there, caryne.

You obviously spend your money wisely, fellow vegan. (well, I'm actually an Ovo-Lacto vegetarian) You sound like someone who lives life to their fullest potential.....and music can take you anywhere. No vices except music.......

Maybe you would like some advice on becoming vegan? I've been vegan for nearly thirty years and it's definitely the best thing to do for a number of reasons, whether for humans, animals or the planet.

Thanks, caryne. I'm aware of the implications of corporate farming, whether it be beef or milk, but I buy locally from a small, planet friendly coop.....a very aware little university town here, with many activists on all fronts. I've been through vegan & back, & made my choice, which I believe is better that raising crops that feed cattle, only to slaughter them. A little inefficient, not to mention the pollution. I've driven through parts of Texas where the penned cattle go on for miles & miles, & the stench of methane & fresh blood is so strong that it could turn any red blooded beefeater into a vegetarian. But I do like my refried beans and organic cheese No jokes about the methane released, please! Regular consumption eliminates that issue.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page