Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Too Old To Rock?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 03/08/2008 : 13:18:20
Grace Slick said in a recent television interview that you should pack it in before you're fifty - she claims that it just becomes embarrassing after that. But as we know, Arthur was giving his best ever concert performances at the age of fifty-eight. Paul McCartney (at sixty-six), I thought was as good as ever in his recent 'Liverpool City of Culture' spectacular, whilst the Stones have if anything, enhanced their standing by cornering the market in wrinkly rockerdom. But of course it doesn't work for all rock veterans - and I was startled to read in another thread that David Freibeg had recently resembled "someone's grandma on stage". Is it simply that you remain credible as long as you can continue to redefine yourself and so constantly reach out to new generations of fans?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 23/09/2011 : 01:10:55
John Lee Hooker proved it every time...you're never too old to ROCK!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeD3TXeWa4I&feature=related

with the Stones & Clapton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0D9JizqWw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMmbg3GQptM&feature=related

lemonade kid Posted - 25/08/2008 : 21:13:59
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Thought I'd share this with you all. If you'd no idea what a Pretty Things gig is like, this will give you an inkling! You're never too old to rock... & roll.......
http://www.rockpalast.de/video.phtml?id=the_pretty_things

Thanks Old Man. The Pretties are so great. SF & Parachute are their pinnacle , but I really like Freeway Madness & lately, Cross Talk. What's the story on that one? There is a return to the hard rocking Pretties, but the influences of the Cars & Police are unmistakable (maybe some glam-rock like Mott, too).....but "No Future" sounds like Sting/Police, or like a hit from the Cars!!
Is there a guest appearance there on that track? It's uncanny! I love it!

(Gene Clark, "Some Misunderstanding")

Old_Man Posted - 24/08/2008 : 15:30:02
Thought I'd share this with you all. If you'd no idea what a Pretty Things gig is like, this will give you an inkling! You're never too old to rock... & roll.......
http://www.rockpalast.de/video.phtml?id=the_pretty_things
rocker Posted - 13/08/2008 : 14:16:37
Wow..Barry's 73 eh? If you see him again tell him those lyrics (I believe penned by PF Sloan right?) knocked me out when I first heard them. They're still in my head. Learned about "coagulatin'"..

Yesterday I read a brief on Neil Diamond who's doing a tour now.
Not doing too much of the old stuff but trying to put in some new tunes. Some like it. Some don't. Anyway, he made an interesting comment along the lines of Grace's thinking saying that "Cherry, Cherry was a great tune to sing back then in the 60's but right now he's at a different stage of his life and there are other things going on besides "Cherry, Cherry" now. And I can see that.
John9 Posted - 13/08/2008 : 09:55:13
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

John York? the drummer in The Byrds' "Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde"?
yeah , "Eve Of Destruction", is a great recording , and still very timely!

...what the world needs now...

Yes that's right - except that he played bass on that album (as well as on 'The Ballad of Easyrider' and 'Live at Fillmore West'). Both before and after his time in the band he toured frequently (and sometimes recorded) with Gene Clark. These days he is an excellent acoustic 12 string guitar player and of late, has recorded a series of wonderful solo albums. His latest project, West Coast Revelation, is a collaboration with Kim Fowley and you can listen to some of the songs at the following website:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=243660405

Flower Girls "whose hair has turned to grey" but who "still exist in a dream of yesterday", I find especially poignant.
lemonade kid Posted - 13/08/2008 : 06:43:49
How about ol' Robert Plant! Thank God he didn't give it up! You'd think his voice might be a little worse for wear after the Zep years, but as rocker would say...jaysus ! ...."Raising Sand" is a testament for never quitting rock & roll.
I've said it before, but it's soooo good. If you haven't checked it out by now......here's a Robert Plant penned tune----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL29_GH91f8

He's a bit mad, isn't he.......?

bob f. Posted - 13/08/2008 : 02:27:49
John York? the drummer in The Byrds' "Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde"?
yeah , "Eve Of Destruction", is a great recording , and still very timely!

...what the world needs now...
John9 Posted - 12/08/2008 : 18:40:35
Yes, Lemonadekid - it was(for England at any rate) the balmy summer of 1965 - and of course the time of the Beach Boys' 'California Girls' the Beatles' 'Help' Dylan's 'Positively 4th St' and the Byrds' 'Mr Tambourine Man'. Several radio stations had banned 'The Eve of Destruction' and I remember my mum and dad telling me that the song's theme was not at all sutable for a pop record. I've just had a disturbing thought........why can I remember all that much better than I can remember what happened LAST summer?!

Barry is a thoroughly warm hearted person and he has a tremendous amount of energy. He maintains that the song 'Eve of Destruction' has even greater resonance in the world of 2008 and ironically, the day after I left them all, the conflict between Russia and Georgia began. As I write this now, there are renewed hopes of peace and I for one am grateful that the West has acted thus far with restraint. But I suppose that the theme 'Eve of Destruction' can be interpreted more widely .... especially where the future of our planet is concerned.
lemonade kid Posted - 12/08/2008 : 17:43:13
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes, Rocker - I especially like the part of the interview where Grace says something to the effect that you cannot expect other people always to look out for you ...and then adds "save your OWN ass". I think that Lemonadekid had it right when he said that her songs probably do not lend themselves to reinterpretation in the light of maturity. Some of them were after all drug related or sexually explicit. I think that she looks (and sounds) absolutely great doing what she's doing now - and it is encouraging to hear her very honest reflections on her own past.

On the other side of the argument, I had the very great honour to meet Barry McGuire last week - he was staying near where I live and his guitar player/harmony singer is a very good friend of mine called John York. They are currently touring Ireland, Norway, Switzerland and Germany with Barry's 'Trippin the 60s' show and their aim is to show just how relevant the more poetic songs from forty odd years ago are to todays world. And he's doing all this at the age of ....73.

Here's a link to site:

http://www.trippinthesixties.com/about.html

And another one to the remaining tour dates - unfortunately their one UK date was cancelled:

http://www.barrymcguire.com/?page=calendar

Good to hear that about Barry M. !! "Eve Of Destruction" was so good & covered by all the young rocker bands including mine (back in...what was it ??..'64 or '65??).

He's a bit mad, isn't he.......?

John9 Posted - 12/08/2008 : 16:53:27
Yes, Rocker - I especially like the part of the interview where Grace says something to the effect that you cannot expect other people always to look out for you ...and then adds "save your OWN ass". I think that Lemonadekid had it right when he said that her songs probably do not lend themselves to reinterpretation in the light of maturity. Some of them were after all drug related or sexually explicit. I think that she looks (and sounds) absolutely great doing what she's doing now - and it is encouraging to hear her very honest reflections on her own past.

On the other side of the argument, I had the very great honour to meet Barry McGuire last week - he was staying near where I live and his guitar player/harmony singer is a very good friend of mine called John York. They are currently touring Ireland, Norway, Switzerland and Germany with Barry's 'Trippin the 60s' show and their aim is to show just how relevant the more poetic songs from forty odd years ago are to todays world. And he's doing all this at the age of ....73.

Here's a link to site:

http://www.trippinthesixties.com/about.html

And another one to the remaining tour dates - unfortunately their one UK date was cancelled:

http://www.barrymcguire.com/?page=calendar
rocker Posted - 12/08/2008 : 14:28:43
You know after checking a few things out I can see where Grace is coming from. In the interviews john9 noted, she did say that she "used to be the persona Grace Slick". It's obvious with so many years on that she doesn't define herself that way. I see she's a painter now so she's gone into another direction as she got older. And I can understand that. Some people just aren't the person they were when they were younger. Now she doesn't appear to define herself as a rock icon. That's in the past.
steve64 Posted - 09/08/2008 : 16:59:37
Chuck Berry is still touring at 80, recently saw Ray Manzarek 69 and Robby Krieger 61 , Kris Kristofferson 71,

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
lemonade kid Posted - 07/08/2008 : 16:37:13
quote:
Originally posted by markk

What we all wouldn't give to hear a 2008 rendition of "White Rabbit".
I just saw Leon Russell 8/04 at BB Kings Blues Bar. Seems he can hardly walk (so he sat), but he has surrounded himself with youth and vibrancy, He played and sang effortlessly and rocked the house
with "Great Balls of Fire". I am happy and grateful to see this old wizard.

I assume Leon still has the iconic white beard, mk? And the uninhibited flash in his dress!!

Hey, ed,,,,Roy O was one of a kind...really missed. I still get a kick out of Traveling Wlbury's. What if all those
guys had had Grace's philosophy??!! What a void that would be. And George Harrison going right to the end.
......now he was a rock n' roll trooper! (And shame on me for forgetting the great Warren Zevon....wasn't stopped
by age OR disease.) And thanks, bobf, for remembering Johnny Cash!

Grace!--what are you thinking!!

trouble comin' everyday.......

markk Posted - 07/08/2008 : 16:05:09
What we all wouldn't give to hear a 2008 rendition of "White Rabbit".
I just saw Leon Russell 8/04 at BB Kings Blues Bar. Seems he can hardly walk (so he sat), but he has surrounded himself with youth and vibrancy, He played and sang effortlessly and rocked the house
with "Great Balls of Fire". I am happy and grateful to see this old wizard.
rocker Posted - 07/08/2008 : 14:22:04
And talking about Mick and the boys...

Things we'd like to see: What will Keef be like in "old age"??? Keef is living proof that you could be creakin' but destined to keep on livin'.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page