Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Donovan

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jellybean Posted - 20/02/2007 : 00:11:22
I got a letter today saying donovans uk tour has been cancelled, quite disappointed, anyone know whats up with him??
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 24/02/2007 : 01:21:32
Hi John,
i have just read your article on Brian Jones with great interest, well done, a fine peice of writing. I havent seen Julian for some time, and he was living back in the states in Joshua Tree, last i heard, however i know one or two freinds who i am sure will be still in contact, and i shall do my very best to try and find the time of his birth for you.
I beleive Linda and Don are still living in Ireland.
I truly beleive the Stones best work was done with Brian, epecailly At His Satanic Majestys Request.
Your memories of Brians 25th aniversary gig also reminded me i met Marian Faithfull at the 30th aniversary gig i went to, and a very nice person she was as well.
It is truly sad that a talent so great left us so early, and the band he was going to form with Jimi and Stevie Windwood(?) would have really been something special.
Thanks again for a great article and photographs. Hopefuly i will be able to find out the information for you.
LOVE
Allan
John E Posted - 23/02/2007 : 22:06:38
Hi Allanagain,
Thanks for your message. Actually, I have no doubt that Donovan is a nice guy (pity he doesn't seem to realise that it's okay now to meet fans after the gigs!). A friend of mine met Donovan and Linda at a New Age weekend a few years ago, and she liked them very much. I enjoyed your 30th anniversary reminiscences. As it happens, I went to the 25th Brian Jones anniversary gig at the Marquee, where Donovan played alongside the Blues Band, Pretty Things and Marianne Faithful. It was on my 43rd birthday and I got Marianne's autograph and kissed her! If you're still in touch with Julian and Linda, perhaps you could do me a favour. Ask them if by any miracle, they know Brian's birth time.I wrote an article on Brian's astrological chart, which you might like to read (http://www.astrolodge.co.uk/clubof27/articles/jones4.html)
I think it's quite a good article, even if you skip the astro jargon.
All the best, John E
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 23/02/2007 : 18:41:38
Some more Donovan memories, as Lee Rob says, he is a nice guy when you meet him, although i cant speak for his book as i havent read it.
I met"Don" through my freind Julian Jones (son of Brian) whose mum Linda is now partners with Don. He came to our local pub, on a rowday council estate, and there was no "im a big star" BS from him atall, we went back to a mates house, where he got drunk and stoned with the rest of us, and had a jam, i ended up singing "SEASON OF THE WITCH" with him, and we all had a good laugh and a good day and night.
He made sure ALL of us were on the guest list for the 30th aniversary
of Brian Jones,s detah ,at London,s shepherds bush empire, where he played along with Paul Jones(manfed man), Noel Readin, and many other fine musicians.
One of the good guys, long may he run.
LOVE
Allan
rocker Posted - 23/02/2007 : 15:37:59
hey I'd bet they're singin' "You'll Never Walk Alone" over at P Lane after 'Pool knocked off Barca the other day!...
jellybean Posted - 23/02/2007 : 10:21:17
thats nice of you to say so astro but the residents of penny lane prob beg to differ!
astrolobe33 Posted - 22/02/2007 : 23:26:07
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

apologies to anyone from the liverpool area, my friend lives just off penny lane and at 2am this morning it was me singing penny lane very loudly on the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
oh the shame

I suspect if anyone could pull it off 'twould be you j-bean
Allan Posted - 22/02/2007 : 21:05:26
Some Donovan memories...

I thoroughly enjoyed early Donovan...his folk years. I especially like 'The Real Donovan' LP. When he started doing his flower-power thing, I used to call him my Acid king. Lots of trips to lots of his songs (I'm instantly humming Jennifer Juniper). Donovan came to Philly and performed at our famous Academy of Music (where the Orchestra performs). He was sitting on a beautiful Persian rug with lots of incense being burned around the perimeter of the carpet. Just him, his guitar, the rug, and the incense. I think everyone in the audience was tripping

Allan
jellybean Posted - 22/02/2007 : 20:57:07
yes it's a fab album (sorry, just got back from liverpool) sunshine superman was way ahead of its time. I hope he does decide to set up another tour..i'll still book again.
apologies to anyone from the liverpool area, my friend lives just off penny lane and at 2am this morning it was me singing penny lane very loudly on the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
oh the shame
Kula John Posted - 22/02/2007 : 20:36:20
quote:
Originally posted by astrolobe33

quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

I wonder if the kids have heard Sunshine Superman?

Sunshine Superman is a fanTAStic album(I won't attempt to say I qualify as a kid, but I've loved it since I was 17---25 years). Only recently was it revealed to me that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are on that album, and wasn't it recorded in like '64-65 but not released til much later? It's a very psychedelic record WAY ahead of its time when you consider that.

Yeh its a really decent album.....at 23 do i count as a kid?

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
astrolobe33 Posted - 22/02/2007 : 19:35:45
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

I wonder if the kids have heard Sunshine Superman?

Sunshine Superman is a fanTAStic album(I won't attempt to say I qualify as a kid, but I've loved it since I was 17---25 years). Only recently was it revealed to me that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are on that album, and wasn't it recorded in like '64-65 but not released til much later? It's a very psychedelic record WAY ahead of its time when you consider that.
rocker Posted - 21/02/2007 : 22:27:03
Interesting...I remember liking Donovan's songs when he first came out though as the years went on for some reason I didn't listen as much..maybe I outgrew the flower-power stuff???...I'd be curious though to know how his fellow musicians feel about him...did and do they respect his work and and as an individual?
John E Posted - 21/02/2007 : 21:24:34
Hi Lee,
I don't think anyone's trashing Donovan, here. I like him enough to have bought all his recent re-masters, and have been to his two most recent London concerts. However, his autobiography (although largely
enjoyable) is laughable in its exaggeration, and I maintain that charging fans £10 for an autograph is out of order! That said, Donovan has probably not had the recognition he deserves. It's true that parts of the "Mellow Yellow" album most likely had an influence
on Nick Drake's work (yet ironically Donovan doesn't mention this.
All the best, John E
rocker Posted - 20/02/2007 : 18:59:14
John E.....wonder what ole Petey (Seeger) would feel about Donovan's book...and work!!!
The sweet disorder Posted - 20/02/2007 : 18:52:36
John E,

I have read somewhere that he helped out on part of the lyrics for Yellow Submarine and he taught Lennon to fingerpick in India (Julia being a prime example of a Donovan trait - little pinky of the top E) however he did let his daughter marry Shaun Ryder so clearly he is the ultimate hippy in advocating peace and love way beyond normal duty.

cheers

Ian
jellybean Posted - 20/02/2007 : 16:43:40
I thought the same thing about that book, he was a bit up his own arse. can't deny liking his music though, I had a look on his site and it said

Donovan Says..
I am sorry to say The UK Spring Tour is now cancelled.
I am in good health
There are no plans to re-book it soon.
My new album will not be ready for the Spring release.
Watch this space and in a few weeks I will open the site again.

hhmmmm

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page