Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 The Doors : Other Voices & Full Circle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThomasGalasso Posted - 23/03/2006 : 20:53:44

Has anyone besides me heard these two Doors albums minus Jim Morrison ? The website doesn't even acknowledge their existence which I find hilarious considering they were both Elektra releases.

I have both on CD, and not the dual CD that combines both records. What are your opinions on these albums aside from the fact that the band was obviously still trying to make some good old fashion green stuff ?

-Thomas Galasso
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ThomasGalasso Posted - 31/03/2006 : 22:15:36

My thing is it didn't stop them from continuing on in the early 1970's, so it is somewhat interesting that they John Densmore would be against The Doors of the 21st Century (which I must admit was extremely tacky).

What was the mood like when those albums came out ? Were they hyped a lot, was there a huge controversy or were The Doors just old news, much like INXS is now even with the whole reality TV show ?

-Thomas
steve64 Posted - 31/03/2006 : 16:42:56
All 4 agreed that the Doors name could not be used without all surviving members because the others were worried that Jim as he was gonna go to Europe on his own may tour as The Doors with new musicians! that meant of course when Jim died that Ray Robby and John could continue as The Doors.. Ray and Robby wanted to tour as The Doors but without John they cannot use The Doors name..

quote:
Originally posted by The Freedom Man

It's easy for me to write this but maybe I would so the same thing like Ray does at the moment.If it bothered me so much, then I wouldn't go to the concert on April 14 th here in Holland, it would be hypocrit, right.
The music is what makes it interesting for me.

Offcourse, making money isn't a bad thing, I mean we can't live from just breathing, right?

John took the other guys to court only because of the use of the name The Doors.They agreed, when Jim was still alive that they would only use the name for the four of them.One missing, then the name can't be used.If it was Robby, John or Ray, it would be the same thing.And Ray and Robby broke that rule.I do believe John and the other guys are still on speaking terms though.

I never saw John as the mean one.All he wanted was to make music.With a singer in the Band who was drunk most of the time at gigs it's hard to make it happen, although they did great shows.

"The Doors are the first rock band I got into on my own, and for the longest the only band I would listen to".

Now that's a sentence I dig!

By the way, this really is getting an off topic thread here.But then again, if it wasn't for Arthur, there would be no Doors!

http://www.thefreedomman.com/
PRESS THE LINK!

hey ho! lets go!
razortotinjim Posted - 31/03/2006 : 02:07:17
Back to topic, I have both lps and honestly haven't put either on the turntable in years. "No me moleste mosquito, let me eat my burrito."

this is the time in life that I am livin' and I'll face each day with a smile
http://db.etree.org/razortotinjim
ThomasGalasso Posted - 31/03/2006 : 00:07:44
I wonder FreedomMan, what is the feeling that people have for Val Kilmer ? (fans of The Doors I mean, you know diehards).

I ask because the film was crap, but it is a guilty pleasure considering its always fun to see that era, and California nonetheless. I felt Kilmer was beyond awesome, I just wish someone else would have written the screenplay, and someone else would have directed the film.

-Thomas
The Freedom Man Posted - 31/03/2006 : 00:03:33
Amen to that!

http://www.thefreedomman.com/love/mikepage2.htm
PRESS THE LINK!
ThomasGalasso Posted - 30/03/2006 : 23:59:20

Thusly my always increased interest in Love. Both groups are my big two. I have a preference for Love in some regards but I also just plain and simple love The Doors. Their catalogue is much grander as they were together longer than the original lineup of Love.

My two fave frontmen for better or worse are Jim Morrison and Arthur Lee.

-Thomas
The Freedom Man Posted - 30/03/2006 : 19:41:48
It's easy for me to write this but maybe I would so the same thing like Ray does at the moment.If it bothered me so much, then I wouldn't go to the concert on April 14 th here in Holland, it would be hypocrit, right.
The music is what makes it interesting for me.

Offcourse, making money isn't a bad thing, I mean we can't live from just breathing, right?

John took the other guys to court only because of the use of the name The Doors.They agreed, when Jim was still alive that they would only use the name for the four of them.One missing, then the name can't be used.If it was Robby, John or Ray, it would be the same thing.And Ray and Robby broke that rule.I do believe John and the other guys are still on speaking terms though.

I never saw John as the mean one.All he wanted was to make music.With a singer in the Band who was drunk most of the time at gigs it's hard to make it happen, although they did great shows.

"The Doors are the first rock band I got into on my own, and for the longest the only band I would listen to".

Now that's a sentence I dig!

By the way, this really is getting an off topic thread here.But then again, if it wasn't for Arthur, there would be no Doors!

PRESS THE LINK!
ThomasGalasso Posted - 30/03/2006 : 18:33:55

That's too bad to hear.

I felt The Doors film was crap with the exception of some of the performances. Val Kilmer is awesome. I just don't like the cinematography or the storytelling process of Oliver Stone. I always just felt there was a nice energy from Ray, but then looking at the final three albums it becomes obvious as with the whole Doors of the 21st Century debacle, it makes sense that he is about money.

Then again which of these older rockers are not ? A lot of them have lost their money and their fame and perhaps it is hard to move on.

I always thought Densmore was the mean one. Ironically though, The Doors are the first rock band I got into on my own, and for the longest the only band I would listen to.

-Thomas Galasso
The Freedom Man Posted - 30/03/2006 : 14:27:59
Well, there are exceptions on the rules.
But all he wants is money and can be very very unfriendly.
I met him two years ago backstage at a gig, and he was very friendly.
It' just that his Doors "spirit" has vanished, almost if he wants to sell The Doors's "soul"...........
anyway that is my opinion and stories that I've heard from friends about r$y

But yes, I am still a doors fan!!

PRESS THE LINK!
ruxprncd Posted - 30/03/2006 : 14:24:03
Ed, I'm surprised to hear that about Ray. I met Ray after a show he did with poet Michael McClure in Seattle and he was very warm and friendly to all the fans on that particular day.
The Freedom Man Posted - 30/03/2006 : 10:00:41
Well, don't believe that Movie, it doesn't represent The Doors.
Among doors fans, Ray is the most unfriendly one, he only cares about the money and wanted to play more the blues after 1970, not Doors tunes, hence the setlists they played then.He now is a grumpy old man.......
It's a good thing Ray is not a teacher, he would be the least favourite of the school.
I discussed the movie with vince Treanor ( the Doors former roadmanager)and he thnks it's a crappy one!

PRESS THE LINK!
ThomasGalasso Posted - 30/03/2006 : 00:44:24

That seems very fitting. I always imagine Ray to be one of the coolest guys on Earth, he seems like a fun science teacher or something.

As for Robby, he too has that spaced out look, and John seems like he would be a monster to deal with. The movie even somewhat illustrated that.

-Thomas
The Freedom Man Posted - 29/03/2006 : 08:35:00
Wolfgang,s vault has taken off some Doors they had, due to rights 'n all, so I don't think they will broadcast it.
But at least we have one song from that evening......

PRESS THE LINK!
jimmyboy Posted - 29/03/2006 : 07:55:12
Calm down Freedom Man. Sorry, but I know of no recordings but i'm sure Wolfgang's
vault has the whole damn show somewhere stashed.
The Freedom Man Posted - 29/03/2006 : 07:35:52
Was that Berkely in Dec,1971? There's only one song that has been survived from that evening, Light My Fire. Do you perhaps know of a recording?

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page