Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 Concerts
 Nyc Town Hall the gig

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LarryNYC Posted - 14/10/2004 : 04:07:22
Met up with Allan and Caryl here at my home during the afternoon which was nice. Got into Manhattan nice and early went to Connoly's for pints and dinner. Allan tried to raise Mike on his mobile but with no luck, so made our way to the gig. Saw Blunstone and Argent standing outside. The Town Hall was much smaller than I expected we were sat to the right near the front closest to Rusty and Johnny Echols. Anyway to cut a long story short Love came on and I could tell right away the band were playing great but the sound was bloody awful, totally underpowered, poorly balanced etc. I just couldnt sit there, no drinks no bar and a PA sound more suited to a recital in a library, even during 7and 7 is with 4 guitars. So after about 6 numbers I had had enough and decided to leave, Allan looked a bit gobsmacked as he happily filled out the set list but it just wasnt happening for me, the whole thing was about as rock and roll as John Majors underpants lol.
I dont fault the band one little bit for this but I doubt I will ever use the venue again and the sound engineer needs to be shot asap.
Plenty of other folk seemed to be quite enjoying it but for me there was just no power, immediacy or spark there so I decided to leave rather than let this gig contaminate my memory of Glasto 03.
Oh well win some loose some.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jazmaan Posted - 22/10/2004 : 08:15:34
I got to the Wilshire Ebell late - missed half of the Zombies set - but was still able to sit 3rd row center. There were more than a few empty seats scattered about.
bob f. Posted - 22/10/2004 : 05:24:50
yeah, the henry fonda is good: balcony seats(for us old cats), and big floor for stage area dancers , standers, and pit enthusiates. the wilshire ebell , i don't know...i had a great seat, i love the intimacy, i have no complaint, then again i'm not a stander or dancer...just good seats really close up is all i want, (and good sound). THAT SHOW WAS THE BEST for me for viewing and comfort. i mean, man, i got there 4 hours early to get a 5 rows back, center seat, (general admission, first come, first served seating). i had perfect seat. actually , any closer,(which i could have had,) would have me looking up, 3 feet from the stage, and a narrow view of show. logistics wise, that show was awesome! artistically: that show rocked, and Arthur was HOT!!!
geef Posted - 22/10/2004 : 00:12:58
to mister sonic bloom,
mister mike randell is great for the love band...... he plays all the orchestrated pieces on that guitar of his(thats amazing), i have seen the love band every gig pretty much since march and they get bertter every time.
i think the ****y solo award on this tour goes to mister Johnny echolls. so leave mike out of it.
LarryNYC Posted - 15/10/2004 : 20:32:36
Good show terrible sound where I was sat Gill, it was a poor mix and grossly underpowered.Just bright white light on stage so not much change in atmos there either.
Gill Posted - 15/10/2004 : 16:26:12
Larry, what a shame the venue didn't create the right atmosphere for you although by all accounts it was a good show.

Love
Gill
jazmaan Posted - 15/10/2004 : 05:20:22
Sounds like the Town Hall venue may have been similar to the Wilshire-Ebell venue in L.A. which was a bit stuffy and too sedate for rock and roll. Seats are ok but they also need some standing room like the Henry Fonda Theater in Hollywood which has a great balcony and a huge no seats area below.

As for the sound - sometimes it may sound great in the audience but lousy on stage. That's how Mike Randle felt about the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano. Or vice versa it may sound lousy in the audience but great to the band.
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 15/10/2004 : 01:59:19
quote:
Originally posted by jazzy mary

John, why didn't you say anything? I'm not positive if I remember you...

I did not realize that was you from the message board. I was standing by the door with you and your family after the Love concert, I had a hat & a black jacket on.
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 15/10/2004 : 01:58:40
quote:

I did not realize that was you from the message board. I was standing by the door with you and your family after the Love concert, I had a hat & a black jacket on.
jazzy mary Posted - 15/10/2004 : 01:10:07

JohnFPorcaro Posted - 14/10/2004 : 23:34:10
quote:

I feel ill. Yes, it seems to me AL is a great guy!

Hi Jazzy, That was me with the top hat & my son.
Good to see you there.
MikeValentine@aol.com Posted - 14/10/2004 : 21:39:38
I think you must be mad not to have totally experienced and immersed yourself in Arthur Lee's genius. Think for a minute, the man has been around for over 40 years, could YOU do as well. I thought the concert to be a great success and I only wish Bob Dylan sounded as good as Arthur Lee.
The only negative thing I can say is I missed the trumpet solo on "Alone Again Or". I loved it even without the trumpet solo.
The Zombies however, really bit the big one!
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 14/10/2004 : 20:06:01
Well said Allan!
It was great night.
Allan Posted - 14/10/2004 : 19:29:18
Caryl and I finally got set straight on the workings of Queens, NY. Can you believe, for example, there's a 67th Ave, 67th Rd, and 67th Dr that seem to hit you from the left and the right. We spent a couple hours with Mr. and Mrs LarryNYC, and it was great. They are fine people...I expected that.

After some pints and food at Connolly's, I tried to reach Mike on his cell, but wasn't successful. I was really looking forward to that, but the band was still sound checking even at 7:00 P.M. [I heard them through the stage door].

So, this is my first time for seeing Arthur.

I thought Arthur and the band looked great...they seemed quite relaxed. Johnny acted and played like he belongs there. Mr. Echols is a musician. I've always felt that the perfect compliment of having 2 lead guitarists is when one doesn't try to out-do the other. Mike and Johnny absolutely complimented each other.

I will agree with Larry that the sound of the venue doesn't ressonate. The venue is mostly concrete and not much for accoustics. It's like the sound hits a concrete wall, literally.

I loved the band and the concert. Arthur was personable and even funny at times. The band seemed very relaxed. Mike was awesome as he showed his command of his guitar. Chapple and Daddyo were just non-stop. Rusty does seem to be the one that keeps the whole thing going, in his own way. That's a bit hard to describe...it's just the leadership thing with Rusty is so subtle, yet so present. Arthur sounded great. Johnny even joined Rusty a tad on some backing vocals. After waiting for weeks for this, I was totally pleased and happy!!!

I stuck around for maybe 4 Zombies songs. Colin's voice is superb. I know this sounds biased, but I really feel that The Zombies should have been the opening act. But then again, I only stayed for 4 songs, then walked to the merchandise booth.

Arthur and Johnny were there. I did get to shake both of their hands. They both were very gracious to their fans. As mysterious as Arthur can be, on this night he was genuinely relaxed, looked great, and appeared to be really enjoying himself.

Later on today, I'll be going to the Collingswood, NJ gig. I'll bring my camera this time and hope to get some pics. I'll also bring my FC LP cover, and try to get some autographs. I'm just as pumped today as I was yesterday

Here's a few notes I took while scribing the set list...

A House Is Not A Motel-Arthur did a very nice harmonica solo.

Old Man-Arthur took off his hat, then he took off his glasses. His voice was wonderful.

Your Mind And We Belong Together-Johnny did the lead guitar

Signed DC-Just an incredible version. It was SO bluesy. Johnny took first lead. Then Mike took lead. And in the middle, more great harmonica from Arthur

Set List

-A House Is Not A Motel
-Alone Again Or
-7 and 7 is
-Old Man
-Bummer In The Summer
-You Set The Scene
-Red Telephone
-Your Mind And We Belong Together
-Signed DC
-My Flash On You
-Orange Skies
-Live And Let Live
-Singing Cowboy
-Little Red Book
-Between Clark And Hilldale

jazzy mary Posted - 14/10/2004 : 19:09:26
I feel ill. Yes, it seems to me AL is a great guy!
markk Posted - 14/10/2004 : 19:07:51
Mary,
Probably right around when the Zombies started, Arthur was at the
table, without much of a crowd. I just couldn't get over how humble
and obliging he was. Yeah, Colin of the Zombies was strange, almost like some Shakespearian actor. I was familiar with the Tim Hardin
song they did, and all and all I liked them and thought their lead guitarist did a good job.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page