Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Such a timeless echo, so few songs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
myoungish Posted - 08/01/2006 : 09:20:30
You know, I was thinking...has any band produced such a powerful effect and such a loyal following almost forty years(!) later from so few songs? For most of us we're talking about twenty tracks (all of FC and Da Capo, and parts of the 1st album and Four Sail. The one thing I wish is that the original band was as prolific as the Beatles during that '66 to '69 period. Could you image a Love-style White Album? Just a few more tracks for the ages is all I ask.

Michael Young
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
harvey Posted - 13/08/2006 : 02:09:06
allan. I have checked out the websites about the TAMI show and there is no mention of the Yardbirds, maybe it was another film. I am investigating what it might have been but UK didnt always get what US got. The TAMI show is available on video but people say it may be edited from the original and other bits have been added. Apparently the Beach Boys were almost edited out for some reason. Maybe Mr. Wilson senior did not want it put out. Just spent most of the evening UK time sitting in the evening light with candles lit thinking about Arthur and Love and playing the music. Harvey
harvey Posted - 12/08/2006 : 19:31:44
Could have been Smokestack Lightning but they didn't do as many of those classic tracks after Clapton left,which is why Clapton left, he did not want to be in a "pop" band but wanted to play the true blues but the music biz being what it is, even then, if it didn't sell you had to make records that did sell,so he left and joined John Mayall. Jim Mcarty told me they were struggling with the riff on "Heart full of soul" and trying to get a sound like a sitar they asked Beck and he said " do you mean like this" and he played the riff on the guitar that everybody knows, problem solved. Looking at the time here in UK and it is coming up to the time when Arthur's Funeral service is due so must go and think for a while. Been playing the 2003 Love Forever Changes "live" all day, unmissable,wish I had been there Harvey
LeeRob Posted - 11/08/2006 : 05:20:38
Dude,
Ta-raaaaaain kept a-rollllllllin' (slurp)
kdion11 Posted - 10/08/2006 : 23:27:40
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

Allan,

Could The Yardbirds tune have been, Smokestack Lightning? I remember them doing that when I saw them in the 60's, in Stockton,CA.
Jimmey Page-Smith in for a "sick," Beck.
Harvey might be able to pin it down.

(Page-SMITH) (JIM McGuinn,) a lot of name changes back then.

Lee

KD: I betcha it was "Train Kept A ' Rollin'

Free the tunes !

LeeRob Posted - 10/08/2006 : 22:57:53
Allan,

Could The Yardbirds tune have been, Smokestack Lightning? I remember them doing that when I saw them in the 60's, in Stockton,CA.
Jimmey Page-Smith in for a "sick," Beck.
Harvey might be able to pin it down.

(Page-SMITH) (JIM McGuinn,) a lot of name changes back then.

Lee
John E Posted - 10/08/2006 : 22:42:15
Arthur gets into "White Album" mode on "Lonely Man" and "Where Where You" on "Black Beauty". Let's hope this album gets an official release sometime. Love on Earth Must Be! John E
Allan Posted - 10/08/2006 : 21:31:27
harvey-YHM

In '65, I went to the cinema to see The T.A.M.I Show. This was a film of appearances from Rock groups of the day. The headline act was the Rolling Stones. I think Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Beach Boys, Lesley Gore, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, The Ronnettes, possibly Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, and others were there.

I think the Y'Birds were in it. I was beginning to listen more and more to the Blues (Rolling Stones), and although The Y'Birds had a few Top 40 hits going at that time, they appeared doing some really good Blues tune (wish I could remember what it was ). It really caught my ear, and thus they became my first favorite British group...even more favorite than The Beatles. I then really took to many, many more British bands.

Allan
harvey Posted - 10/08/2006 : 01:00:14
ZFARRAR Its the best situation to get the best out of both guitarists in a band. Set up two guys who do not like each other and who hardly talk and let them try and blow each other off the stage.Never fails. It did them both a lot of favours in the future, if they had not clashed would they stil be doing their old jobs. Page was just a session guitarist though when I was at school with him(but a few years younger) he was being interviewed on tv in school uniform about his initial success as a guitar player. Our old maths teacher used to laugh at him playing guitar for famous pop bands and they got all the money and fame. Dont know actually where Beck first appeared from.
John E Posted - 09/08/2006 : 23:51:53
Hi Lee,
I tend to agree. I don't play "Revelation" very often, but when I do, it's a complete gas (as we used to say, way back when)!
All the best, John E
LeeRob Posted - 09/08/2006 : 23:45:26
I have seen folks write off Revelation as, "a waste of side B," not me. It caught my ear in '66, and still has it. The sax IS great! The huffing and puffing and, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah," with the psychedelic style instrumentation moving around; back in the day when the grass was green, and so were we, it was a fine, fun piece!

Lee
otiselevator Posted - 09/08/2006 : 23:24:05
There's a load of what ifs of course but I hope critics will now start to look at Arthur's career and abilities as a whole rather than just through the medium of Forever Changes. Of course he was inconsistent but every album has gems if you look hard enough. "Out Here" has quite a few, especially Gather Round. My own personal favourites include Five String Serenade and You Want Change For Your Re-Run, not to mention Feathered Fish and a shortened version of Revelation for starters. By the way does anyone else think the sax solo on Revelation is bloody marvellous? It reminds me of something I've heard by the Great Society (Grace Slick's original band?) Surely there must be some Live recordings of the original band somewhere?
Ant Posted - 09/08/2006 : 22:12:44
I have often wondered if Love wouldn't have been so overlooked had they produced more consistent albums alongside Forever Changes. Da Capo, for example has 6 fantastic songs and having listened to Bryan MacLeans excellent (and revelatory!) demos from the Ifyoubelievin album, surely albums like this would have been seen as even greater if Bryans songs were 'beefed up' with a full band and given more exposure. Songs like 'Kathleen', 'Ifyoubelievein', 'Fridays Party', and 'Fresh Hope' would have been perfect for Da Capo - so much so that it would have been the perfect sister album for FC! I think Four Sail is a fine album but spoilt a bit by the production for me which isnt clean enough. I think Out Here has several fine moments also ('Willow Willow', 'Gather Round') but its mixed in with a lot of average songs. Basically most of the other albums have several 'to-die-for' songs IMO. I think theres more classic Love songs than people think, but you need to dig deep to find some of them!
ZFarrar Posted - 09/08/2006 : 17:21:09
Harvey, wow, I had no idea about Keith's asthma. He had such a great etheral sound, nobody quite like him. Were you around when Beck & Page were sharing lead guitar duties, that must have been pretty wild.

harvey Posted - 09/08/2006 : 03:11:08
Considering all the problems Keith had with bad Asthma it was amazing he got through gigs, he used to really struggle to breathe and was always puffing at an inhaler. His death though was very strange I talked to his sister Jane as I used to drive her home sometimes and she never understood what really happened.
Jim Mcarty was unlucky not to get the drum chair with Zep as he did a lot of work with them when they wre forming and did lots of demos of what turned out to be big hits for Zep. I suppose you heard why Led Zeppelin were so called. When Keith Moon was told that Jimmy Page was forming a band called the New Yardbirds he said "that'll go down like a Lead Zeppelin (balloon) and the name stuck. Harvey the roadie
ZFarrar Posted - 09/08/2006 : 02:47:38
Beck is an enigma. There was nobody like Beck, then Hendrix came along
& played amazing things. Yet Beck was perhaps the most fluid, cleanest
guitarist of them all, Keith Relf added such a unique flavor to the Yardbirds
sound. I play their **** constantly, a lot more than Led Zep.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page