Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Jac Holzman also on BBC Radio Four today

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 22/10/2010 : 10:51:34
Just to mention to board members with access to BBC television that The Man Who Recorded America: Jac Holzman's Elektra Records is showing tonight (Friday) on BBC 4 at 11.40PM...should be well worth catching.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 09/11/2010 : 15:47:43
hows the cd btw? I've only read the article

the Forever Changing five (!) cd box set is good too, though theres the odd duffer by the Incredible String Band on disc 3

She comes in colors, My little red book, Alone again or & August turn up on the set as well
kdion11 Posted - 09/11/2010 : 02:32:02
[quote]Originally posted by lemonade kid

Right. J9. Next to Arthur, Jac is my favorite 60's music personality, he was an
iconoclast! a music industry revolutionary and visionary!....he really
did record "America".... and without him, who knows where Love would be, or the
Doors, or Fred Neil or Judy Collins or Phil Ochs or ....well....the list goes on forever!

Thanks, Jac!

Check out the Elektra cover story in the current MOJO. Very
cool and informative. The US Edition has Jimbo on the cover.
I'd love to hear Jac flesh out his stories on Delaney Bramlett
(giving Jac a death threat, which resulted in Jac sacking them
and terminating their contract on the spot) and Freddie Neal's
heroin shenanigans.

lemonade kid Posted - 09/11/2010 : 02:30:58
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

What is your theory, everyone, that they didn't make it, besides touring?

KD: Donuts and Drugs !

Or rumors thereof! Damn those donuts!

kdion11 Posted - 09/11/2010 : 02:25:55

KD: Donuts and Drugs !
John9 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 08:58:05
Harvey - I really appreciate your descriptions of those two London gigs from '74. What really galled me was that I had actually phoned the Speakeasy from where I was living in Leicester and they had told me that they were relaxing the membership rules for that one night. When I actually got there it was a different story - and I had spent money on a rail ticket that I couldn't really afford. I haven't heard the tape you mentioned.....but hopefully I will one day. I was surprised to hear about what happened at the Rainbow....Arthur didn't always do himself many favours, did he? I suppose that tended to add to his mystique - but I cannot help but think of the many thoroughly professional gigs that other bands gave during that period. I saw Fairport Convention (whom Sandy Denny had recently rejoined) at Liverpool University later on in '74.......and they were fantastic. They simply radiated the appreciation they had for their fans and we all went away thrilled. Cheers
harvey Posted - 07/11/2010 : 23:54:55
Hey J9 have you heard the tape Arthur asked me to make of the Rainbow gig. Lots of people have copies of it, as everybody probably knows I was asked to send a copy of it (on cassette)to the record company in the States and it 'escaped' and from the descriptions I have heard about what is on the label, the date etc it must be the same one though I have not heard a copy to compare with my original Quarter track r to r which I still have somewhere. Cannot listen to it though as the old Sony 366 needs a repair kit of belts and wheels etc as the old ones have probably perished. They are available on Ebay but only occasionally and price is a bit high. One of those winter jobs to do. Really was bad luck not to be able to get into Speakeasy but it was not one of the best gigs. Quite a small room and packed with people (a lot of them just there to be there and not really fans of Love so noisy all evening) and sound was not brilliant as club too small for full rig and access was an absolute pig,down steep narrow stairs and round tight bends. Took us one day to get everything in and back next day to get everything out. Both very hot days but club had an ice making machine so we spent a lot of time emptying that.Shame you could not get to the Rainbow room above Bibas in Oxford street. Good gig but Arthur was in a foul mood and short setted. Refused to come on again so support band had to go on twice. Story of the tour really.
Harvey the roadie
lemonade kid Posted - 07/11/2010 : 22:06:49
Right. J9. Next to Arthur, Jac is my favorite 60's music personality, he was an
iconoclast! a music industry revolutionary and visionary!....he really
did record "America".... and without him, who knows where Love would be, or the
Doors, or Fred Neil or Judy Collins or Phil Ochs or ....well....the list goes on forever!

Thanks, Jac!

John9 Posted - 07/11/2010 : 21:46:49
Ah yes, Harvey....the '74 tour. I had never seen Love at that point. I couldn't get to The Rainbow...and they wouldn't let me into the Speakeasy bacause I wasn't a member. Of course Love were back the following year with a much tighter lineup...and I was fortunate enough to catch them on a good night!

LK - many thanks for The Elektra graphics - that butterfly label brings back so many happy memories. It looks a little like The Malagasy Sunset Moth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysiridia_rhipheus

Great picture of Jac as well.
harvey Posted - 07/11/2010 : 20:01:49
They were too stoned to give a s...t according to Holzman and as LK says it is not that kind of music. They were fairly unknown in UK when I toured with them in 1974. The rest of the support band wanted to find out more about them and getting Love albums was not that easy. Lots of London record shops out of stock. Only people that were into them from the beginning really knew where they were coming from(probably Americans over here) and most students at the Universities where they played on the 74 tour had not heard of them and many said they had only come to see out of curiosity.There was an audience of people who knew what they were about and came to see Arthur but the rest of the band were pretty much unknowns apart from Joe Blocker and Canned Heat. But this was about 6 years after F.C. Also to do the music justice you have to have the horns and the strings and that costs money every night on a tour and would record companies have put the money up for that. There is also a very small amount of footage of Love performing in the earlier days probably for the same reasons, no touring, no TV shows. Lots of other bands around then were all over every bit of media possible.Film, TV, radio, magazines,etc.
Just a few thoughts on the matter.
Harvey the roadie
lemonade kid Posted - 07/11/2010 : 16:50:55
But even if they had...they just were/are not main stream enough...thank god, we
are not either! I know I am being over generalizing but maybe, many music
lovers, just like their music to be simple, easy...music they do not have
to think about: the words, or the meaning, or deal with a tune that is too musically
complex....and Arthur makes us think & listen. Arthur/Love weren't part of
the hit machine-never will be.

Joe Morris Posted - 07/11/2010 : 03:30:15
they didn't tour!
harvey Posted - 07/11/2010 : 01:41:36
Robert Plant on BBC2 this evening 6/11/10 in an evening of programmes about him and he said a few times how much Arthur Lee was one of his inspirations and he could not understand how Forever Changes had not been a massive success.
Harvey the Roadie
lemonade kid Posted - 07/11/2010 : 01:27:13
For those who have not seen this yet like myself, here is a nice link and some cool pics!
From Buda at Freed's site.
[quote="Buda"][URL=http://img248.imageshack.us/i/electraq.jpg/][/URL]

A good friend of mine just sent this link of a great documentary that
possibly we and I have never heard of, mainly because it's just been
made and broadcast on BBC, called:

The Man Who Recorded America - Jac Holzman & Elektra Records DVD
Broadcast on BBC 4, October 22, 2010

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=11728

Chapters

1. Introduction
2. Judy Collins
3. Tom Paxton
4. Love
5. The Doors
6. Tim Buckley
7. Incredible String Band
8. MC5 / Iggy & the Stooges
9. Nico
10. Bread
11. Carly Simon
12. Queen
13. Harry Chapin
14. Jackson Browne

Total time : 49:12

Narrated by Jac Holzman with observations by Jackson Browne - also
comments from Judy Collins, Tom Paxton, Joe Boyd, Robin Williamson
and Iggy Pop.

[URL=http://img248.imageshack.us/i/jacholzman.jpg/][/URL][/quote]
John9 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 22:21:57

I've just changed the title of this thread because of Jac Holzman's appearance on BBC Radio Four's Front Row this evening. Interviewed by the excellent John Wilson, Jac speaks at length about The Doors....but also about Arthur Lee's role in leading him to them. At the start of the piece Jac talks about the invention of the LP record and the mythological explanation for the name 'Elektra'....it's all fascinating stuff. Here's a link to it....the feature is about 60% of the way into it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vhgpj/Front_Row_Burke_and_Hare_review_and_Jac_Holzman/
Joe Morris Posted - 24/10/2010 : 16:41:56
the BBC site usually has shows for a week. Used to listen to the new series of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the site more than once after broadcast!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page