Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Pegasus Carousel preorder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TJSAbass Posted - 19/10/2010 : 01:58:26
Amazon is taking preorders for the new printing of Michael Stuart's Pegasus Carousel book. Highly recommended!!!!!! I have an old print, but I'll probably get a new one. The preorder discount brings the price down to about $11. Expected release date November 1st.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
waxburn Posted - 05/12/2010 : 23:33:46
quote:
Originally posted by TJSAbass

Amazon now says Feb-April '11 for delivery of the new P.C. book.

We were building up interest in the book here but they went off to the DOORS forum.
TJSAbass Posted - 05/12/2010 : 22:05:44
Amazon now says Feb-April '11 for delivery of the new P.C. book.
Joe Morris Posted - 02/12/2010 : 19:34:37
I think Elvis's best known song is "Yoga is as yoga does" isn't it?
waxburn Posted - 02/12/2010 : 16:24:52
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

kinda shot Elvis in the foot cos he was only getting poor songwriters that would give him a cut of the songwriting!

He had plenty of hits with the system. Doc Pomus,Otis Blackwell not too shabby.

But missed out on many, many, many more.

Really? Like which ones? He covered Dylan probably the Beatles. During his heyday anything he did went gold, when his time passed then his time passed.
1/2 of 300,000 is more than 100% of 10 dollars. Very few turned down the chance to have Elvis record one of their songs.
kdion11 Posted - 02/12/2010 : 15:18:04
quote:

quote:

kinda shot Elvis in the foot cos he was only getting poor songwriters that would give him a cut of the songwriting!

But missed out on many, many, many more.
waxburn Posted - 01/12/2010 : 19:41:32
quote:

Joe Morris Posted - 01/12/2010 : 18:55:53
waxburn Posted - 01/12/2010 : 05:28:15
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

[quote]Originally posted by waxburn

[quote]Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

Publishing is different from mechanicals. The only money they had coming, was from the Miller Beer Commercials, which featured them playing. If one doesn't demand their money, even from friends, [they're] not likely to offer. How often does someone walk up to you, and say "Hey Dude I owe you some money!" But to answer your question...No!!

GMM

Yes publishing is different than mechanicals this we know to be true, sort of. Im sure he got his mechanicals too.
The TV royalties are synch royos.
Demand what from whom? The album says B.McClean writer. If i were to play the guitar on a friends track and he pays me 100 dollars, and i sign off on it, does he owe me anything?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

It is not a question of playing on a friends record. Johnny, Arthur, Kenny and Bryan were signed to contracts with Elektra Records, and entitled to be paid Mechanical, and or Performance Royalties, for any, and all songs they played on,[FOREVER.] In addition to the session money, paid through the Musicians Union. The only payments they would receive directly from a Record Co. are Performance Related...Mechanicals.

Publishing (and Song Writer Royalties) are totally seperate, and distinct from a Record Co. And are Governed by the rules setforth by the United States Copyright Office. And unless you borrow against them, those royalties must be paid,(in full) even if the record never recovered its costs. Suppose a group only did covers, They may be dealing with ten different Publishing Company's or copright owners. With absolutely no connection to the Record Co. [Period.]

Why do you think Ringo Starr, is so wealthy? Or non song writing members of most other successful groups. They get paid for what they played, (in perpetuity,) as long as their work, is being sold. Otherwise only songwriters would make any money.

They are also paid performance royalties, for radio or television airplay, through BMI, ASCAP, HARRY FOX, and the myriad other record keeping organizations. That is the purpose of being under contract, otherwise they would hire studio musicians, and pay them once. Band members sign with Record Company's TOO GET PAID...!!!

GMM

Mechanicals go to the songwriter and or publisher, not the band. Record royalties go the the band members as set forth in the signed contracts. Harry Fox Agency deals with mechanicals. If you are not the writer you do not get mechanicals or performance(BMI/ASCAP). If a record is only covers unless you get a cut of the publishing from the songwriter you get only record royalties as set forth in the record contract. Thats why back in the day they had song pluggers, performers usually did not write the songs it was selected for them. They received no publishing unless they demanded a cut from the publisher(Elvis).

Ringo gets record royalties from all the Beatle records he played on plus mechanicals and perfromance royalties from the songs he WROTE. hes rich because
the Beatles sell a lotta records.

Band members that sign with a record co are NOT guaranteed any money, unless the record makes back its costs and deductions. Record companies are pretty good in coming up with those. They are given ADVANCES that are recoupable, that is will be deducted from future royalties.
Some advnces are not recoupabe, but you have to be an established seller to get those.
waxburn Posted - 01/12/2010 : 04:58:48
quote:

didn't ASCAP or someone take possession of all the Love songs, including Bryans?

ASCAP/BMI collects and pay out performance royalties. Radio play mostly but also live performance. For example if you have a club that plays live music you usually have to buy a license from BMI or ASCAP etc.
TV and movies and that sorta thing is separate, those are the synch rights.
gatemouthmoore Posted - 01/12/2010 : 04:34:49
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

Publishing is different from mechanicals. The only money they had coming, was from the Miller Beer Commercials, which featured them playing. If one doesn't demand their money, even from friends, [they're] not likely to offer. How often does someone walk up to you, and say "Hey Dude I owe you some money!" But to answer your question...No!!

GMM

Yes publishing is different than mechanicals this we know to be true, sort of. Im sure he got his mechanicals too.
Demand what from whom? The album says B.McClean writer. If i were to play the guitar on a friends track and he pays me 100 dollars, and i sign off on it, does he owe me anything?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

It is not a question of playing on a friends record. Johnny, Arthur, Kenny and Bryan were signed to contracts with Elektra Records, and entitled to be paid Mechanical, and or Performance Royalties, for any, and all songs they played on,[FOREVER.] In addition to the session money, paid through the Musicians Union. The only payments they would receive directly from a Record Co. are Performance Related...Mechanicals.

Publishing (and Song Writer Royalties) are totally seperate, and distinct from a Record Co. And are Governed by the rules setforth by the United States Copyright Office. And unless you borrow against them, those royalties must be paid,(in full) even if the record never recovered its costs. Suppose a group only did covers, They may be dealing with ten different Publishing Company's or copright owners. With absolutely no connection to the Record Co. [Period.]

Why do you think Ringo Starr, is so wealthy? Or non song writing members of most other successful groups. They get paid for what they played, (in perpetuity,) as long as their work, is being sold. Otherwise only songwriters would make any money.

They are also paid performance royalties, for radio or television airplay, through BMI, ASCAP, HARRY FOX, and the myriad other record keeping organizations. That is the purpose of being under contract, otherwise they would hire studio musicians, and pay them once. Band members sign with Record Company's TOO GET PAID...!!!

GMM

Joe Morris Posted - 01/12/2010 : 04:11:55
didn't ASCAP or someone take possession of all the Love songs, including Bryans?
waxburn Posted - 01/12/2010 : 02:41:18
quote:

Love played in a beer commercial?
how?!

Bryan set up his own publishing starting with the 3rd album?

If Elektra didn't own Love's publishing, I can understand Bryan not being obligated to get statements and the like from Jac Holzman

But how is it that Bryans mom had to sue to get her sons Love songs?

Probably because Arthur controlled the administration. Just a guess.
Joe Morris Posted - 01/12/2010 : 02:39:36
Love played in a beer commercial?
how?!

Bryan set up his own publishing starting with the 3rd album?

If Elektra didn't own Love's publishing, I can understand Bryan not being obligated to get statements and the like from Jac Holzman

But how is it that Bryans mom had to sue to get her sons Love songs?

waxburn Posted - 01/12/2010 : 02:37:34
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

GMM

gatemouthmoore Posted - 01/12/2010 : 02:05:20

GMM

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page