Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Re Worst Love song

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Joe Morris Posted - 24/08/2010 : 00:55:43
so whats reckoned as the worst? Revelation, just cos its such a long (18 minute) track

Doggone (unedited version)?

Run to the top? Discharged? side one of Out Here?

The Watcher? and has anyone even listened to that track ANYWAYS?!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kula John Posted - 10/09/2010 : 09:07:20
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:
Originally posted by GatherRoundPeople

I'll start with...The Move...Stephanie Knows Who.

I beg to differ. That was the first time I ever heard the song and loved it from the off. I have even played it since I discovered the original too.

I agree with Boombox. I actually think it's a pretty decent version, obviously not quite as good as the original but a worthy effort. I often listen to it.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Joe Morris Posted - 09/09/2010 : 03:06:10
I thought False Start had been remastered long before the box set

It goes for a lot on eBay when it turns up. Amazon has it at a rather steep $60, used
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 08/09/2010 : 19:05:32
someone from this board was kind enough to do me a copy of the LIVE IN LONDON disc from the Blue Thumb box set, and i think it,s really good, a great re- master job, and one of my fave live Love discs.
Joe Morris Posted - 30/08/2010 : 16:32:55
I understand the box costs rather a lot
rocker Posted - 30/08/2010 : 14:27:09
KD: Hey Rock. One of my all time fav Love tracks is Que Vida
from Da Capo. I was grooving to this the other night and noticed
the KILLER organ track coming in at the end. Guess who played
that too ?

Yeah Snoopy! Thx!!!! Now I'm going tos ay something. Seriously, DA CAPO's side one is perhaps one of the most glorious and beautiful song sides in all of rockdom. Who were doing any songs like that at the time? The 'sound' is incredible that came out of the band's heads, fingers, hands, etc and into the pristine air. The "styles" that they experimneted with were I think "avant garde" if there was any California band involved in it. They came a long long way from You I'll be Following! Now Lou in NY was pretty good with his edgy, dreamy and airy stuff here in NY but arguably Arthur with DA CAPO showed I think that he could do a little more than Lou at the time when it came to skirting the "avant garde" bit in music. Now I could see Lou doing "Orange Skies" or "Que Vida!" but Arthur beat him to it...
John9 Posted - 30/08/2010 : 10:15:44
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

how bad is the box?

Is that actually a serious question? I do sometimes wonder. For real Love fans, it was a fascinating release. To have the two Blue Thumb releases remastered for the first time together with a record of the well received 1970 tour of England was wonderful. Whilst I've always had some reservations about the way Arthur's vocals were recorded on the live set, I certainly wouldn't be without it. When you add in the attractive booklet, which includes some new (to me at any rate)pictures, an interesting essay and meticulously accurate session information.......well, need I say any more?

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=4B43205C-EFDD-449F-BBA4-6C6CCFF89AC8
Joe Morris Posted - 29/08/2010 : 22:47:10
how bad is the box?
Dukie Posted - 29/08/2010 : 22:34:19
The Blue Thumb box set included "Live in England, 1970".
waxburn Posted - 28/08/2010 : 22:14:22
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

From what I understand, almost all the Fillmore shows were recorded and Bill Graham had them archived....the whole vault was sold to a dude whose goal is to somehow release or save what he can, but the danger of them all deteriorating before that can be achieved is likely.

Who knows what gems there are to be discovered-- or forever lost.
Forever changes.

Im told that he didnt start with the taping until after the original Love was done, NO original Love in the vault. If by any chance they had found it would already have been exploited.

lemonade kid Posted - 28/08/2010 : 19:21:13
From what I understand, almost all the Fillmore shows were recorded and Bill Graham had them archived....the whole vault was sold to a dude whose goal is to somehow release or save what he can, but the danger of them all deteriorating before that can be achieved is likely.

Who knows what gems there are to be discovered-- or forever lost.
Forever changes.

waxburn Posted - 28/08/2010 : 17:43:24
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

was there a live Fillmore disc with the 3 cd Blue Thumb box set

More interested in the original line up live, personally. Tapes of those seem to be pretty rare, to put it mildly!

I doubt any of those tapes exist, except maybe for the Whiskey one/
I may be wrong but it seems the crowd surrounding Arthur was interested in other type of activities, and back then they would have had to smuggle reel to reels.
. Elektra didnt record them live which was a pity.
Joe Morris Posted - 28/08/2010 : 16:14:53
was there a live Fillmore disc with the 3 cd Blue Thumb box set

More interested in the original line up live, personally. Tapes of those seem to be pretty rare, to put it mildly!

gatemouthmoore Posted - 28/08/2010 : 00:45:32
There was a cast of characters that followed the band through-out the sixties. They were Jeffy Eisen, Tommy the "Chinaman" and Neal Rapaport. Any one of whom may have had tapes of early Love.

Jeffy Eisen was one of the few people who had full access to the group, and was known to have recorded them, many times. At one point in the early seventies he was trying to sell some of his treasures, which included a five foot blow-up of Arthur with little pink rollers in his hair.

By the eighties there was not much interest in collecting Love memorabilia, so I assume most of it is in a landfill somewhere. I can't imagine why none of them have surfaced. Though I do know from personal knowledge there are recordings out there!

GMM
kdion11 Posted - 27/08/2010 : 21:28:00
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

[quote]Originally posted by kdion11

[quote]Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

KD: Hey Gate. Didn't know that TJay Cantrelli did anything post
Da Capo. I thought that Gratefull Dead / Fillmore bill was the Four Sail line up from 1970 /71 ? Same gig tape that was used for
Love: Studio / Live. Keep On Shining, Singing Cowboy, Product of
the Times etc.

Hey KD,
The seven member line-up of Love toured quite extensively on the west coast, in 1967!
The group did the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. The Fillmore, the Family Dog shows in San Francisco etc. They Introduced the "New" Love at the Whisky to great acclaim. That show blew peoples minds! Tjay was "Old-school" so he was quite the "Showman," and was very charismatic, so the ladies dug him. All that attention may have been [The] motivating factor in his being shown the door. The dude rocked it!

GMM

KD: Hey Gate. Yea, I know TJ toured and played in Love through
1967 etc, but your claim of a live LOVE tape floating around
in the 1980's from The Fillmore is not only news to me, but would
represent the "holy grail" for Love fans - a live tape surfacing
of the original line up. If true, then someone on this board
must have a copy !

Again, any news I've heard of a Love live Fillmore tape opening
for the Grateful Dead must have been that one that was used
on Love : Studio /Live.

Anyone else ever hear of this original line up live tape
from The Fillmore ?

Free the tapes !
lemonade kid Posted - 27/08/2010 : 17:02:56
Snoopy became a good drummer even by Michael's standards, but could not hope to fill the needs of Arthur's next challenges on Da Capo & FC with the complex arrangements Arthur had in mind.
He ended up doing what many drummers could not....making the final cut on "7 & 7 Is"....a daunting task for any drummer to maintain that beat.

Snoopy is underrated as a keyboard artist and was put to his best use by Arthur, but as it says in John's book--there was not place for Snoop as Love was progressing and the organ volume at live shows was so low that he could not be heard, so just as his part in LOve was diminishing so was his volume.

Sometimes I think Snoopy is underrated due to Snoopy himself...he is his own worst enemy, because of the tales he has spread and the bad feelings he expresses. I would give my eye teeth to have been on Love's first LP as drummer and Da Capo on keyboards. AN honor that Snoop seems to forget. Besides, it was Arthur's band, and changes in lineup were part of the creative process. I do believe however that Snoopy should be getting royalties for his part, but that is another issue with Arthur altogether!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page