Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Underground Radio

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jazmaan Posted - 30/12/2004 : 07:17:09
I've been listening to a lot of 60's radio recently. Today it was B. Mitchell Reed on KMET-FM (Los Angeles), 9/20/70. The playlist included this sequence: "8 Miles High" (Byrds), "Alone Again Or" (Love), B. Mitchell commenting on Spiro Agnew campaigning against drug culture songs, and then "The Pusher" (Steppenwolf). Don't ask me why he sandwiched "Alone Again Or" in there. It never struck me as a drug song!

Some other interesting segments had B.M.R. reading a then current Mick Jagger quote "I'd rather DIE than be onstage singing Satisfaction at age 49!" segued into Tina Turner's version of "Honky Tonk Women". Then B.M.R. read a cease-and-desist letter from the Beatles' publishers enjoining KMET from further plays of the Beatles unreleased "Get Back" lp. He followed the letter with Nilsson's cover of "You Can't Do That".

Other songs in the same hour: "I Got A Line on You" (Spirit), "Rollin and Tumblin" (Canned Heat), "Only You Know and I Know" (Dave Mason), "Wooden Ships" (Jefferson Airplane).

I love 60's radio!

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jazmaan Posted - 30/01/2005 : 02:35:18
I didn't know that the BMR segment I heard was from a commercial release. I got it from a "collector".
SignedRW Posted - 26/01/2005 : 23:36:38
Hey Jazmaan-
Might want to share with folks that the B. Mitchel
Reed KMET piece you refer to is actually a commercially
available CD (out of print, but easily and inexpensively
found on E-Bay) called "The Golden Age Of Underground
Radio, With B. Mitchell Reed, on KMET." There is also
a companion release featuring radio legend Tom Donahue
at KSAN, San Francisco. Both are a pretty fun listen,
time-warp style for those of us who were there, but
just as enjoyable even if you weren't; great music,
vintage commercials, and even actual newscasts. Track
them down, you'll be glad you did.

Rick Williams
gordo Posted - 19/01/2005 : 10:53:31
quote:
(Phun City! Didn't the MC5 play that festival?).

they did indeed. I've got the CD of their set. Dreadful sound quality. On Black to Comm the sound speeds up and slows down constantly, making it very odd sounding.

According to the film MC5 A True Testimonial they were invited by Mick Farren to play, but he neglected to tell them they wouldn't be paid as it was a free festival until after they had played.

Sadly the film may never be seen again as Wayne Kramer has withdrawn permission for the use of MC5's music in the film and rather than try to negotiate with him, the film's producers have got Becky Tyner to sue him and the other living members of the MC5 for royalties.

The only way that the film will ever be seen again is if the legal action succeeds and Wayne Kramer, Michael Davis and Dennis Thompson are forced to give up the rights.
Tina Posted - 19/01/2005 : 08:48:41
Lovely verbal picture Jazmaan - and do you think the good weather is going to hold out for a few weeks until Lizzy and I arrive in LA on February 5th?
jazmaan Posted - 19/01/2005 : 06:03:32
Correction: that was the June 20, 1969 show, not 67 with "My Little Red Book." Actually we listened to snippets from several different KHJ shows and then Arthur wanted to hear some KGFJ (the black station) so I put on April 28, 1966 and we heard James Brown "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" and Koko Taylor "Wang Dang Doodle"!
jazmaan Posted - 19/01/2005 : 05:18:58
Today was a picture perfect day in L.A., 80 degree weather, crystal clear skies, no smog and snow all over the mountains. You couldn't ask for a better day to go rolling down Ventura Blvd in my Beemer with the sunroof open listening to KHJ from June 1967! Arthur's singing along with Van Morrison ("Baby Please Don't Go") and Joe Cocker "Feeling Alright" and then the Real Don Steele introduces LOVE "My Little Red Book"! It doesn't get any better than that!
oldfartatplay Posted - 10/01/2005 : 22:11:03
Thanks Gill!What a great site - not only a treasure house of fondly remembered days(Phun City! Didn't the MC5 play that festival?).Also with an eye to the future,with their current plans & activities - this really is one of the marvels of the internet,the possibility of finding that potential audience/community out there in hyperspace.Underground Radio lives, & the beat goes on!
Lizzyb Posted - 10/01/2005 : 21:25:42
that's a great one. oh i remember it well

Keep on shining
Gill Posted - 08/01/2005 : 20:53:30
I just found the Radio Geronimo website which has loads of great clips to listen to:

www.radiogeronimo.co.uk

Love
Gill
Gill Posted - 08/01/2005 : 20:45:32
Yes I remember Radio Geronimo and their theme tune of Amazing Grace by the Great Awakening. It was a fairly short-lived venture I believe. Did you ever listen to Radio Seagull from the Radio Caroline ship - that was good underground radio if ever I heard it.

As for the Cruisin' albums we have a collection of them both on vinyl and now on CD, they were the only way we knew about American radio stations in the 60s and 70s weren't they?

Both Kenny Everett and Emperor Rosko were DJ heroes of mine - Kenny was a one-off and an inspiration to so many broadcasters. He will never be forgotten. I met both Kenny and Rosko on several occasions - in fact I was part of Rosko's cheering section when he used to do his Saturday lunchtime programme on Radio 1. He used to take some people in with him to the studio to cheer and shout things out during the links, and I can remember one amazing day when we went from sitting in on Rosko's programme, having spoken to Kenny in the corridor who was in before him, then we were allowed in to Johnnie Walker's studio, followed by John Peel. Ah those were the days!!!

Love
Gill
oldfartatplay Posted - 08/01/2005 : 19:17:11
For Jazzmaan & all Love'ster Underground Radio fans - Some of you may well remember the wonderful CRUISIN' series of albums from the early 70's.Each album being a lovingly crafted vinyl slab of classic US Rock 'n Roll Radio shows covering the years 1955 through to 1969.The year 1965 being represented by Robert W. Morgan with a typical 'Boss Radio' show from KHJ Los Angeles.There is a web-site dedicated to these great albums(which also include shows by Arnie 'Woo Woo'Ginsberg/Russ 'Weird Beard' Knight/Dick Biondi & others),it can be found at http://leemichaelwithers.tripod.com/cruisin.htm.In the UK the nearest we got to a bona-fide all singing 'n dancing DJ of the classic US style was probably Kenny Everett,who famously was a pal of & court jester to the Beatles camp in the early days.Another great US DJ who made his mark over here was Emperor Roscoe,who I think is still out there somewhere enthusing over the ether.Do any UK Lovesters recall another short-lived,but wonderful Underground Pirate station called 'Radio Geronimo',which I believe,was broadcast from Monaco,and featured The Great Awakening's incredible slide-guitar version of 'Amazing Grace' as it's theme tune,and broadcast whole sides of West Coast albums(Quicksilver,The Dead,etc),interrupted only very occasionally by the mumbled tones of the (chemically adjusted?) DJ's.The classic US Underground Radio format is splendidly sent up on National Lampoon's masterpiece album 'Goodbye Pop',with Bill Murray as the almost comatose DJ Mel Brewer,and Lampoon stalwarts John Beluschi,Chevy Chase,& Christopher Guest.etc featuring.(This is where the seeds of Spinal Tap were sewn)Every home should have one!
Lina Posted - 05/01/2005 : 19:47:41
Thank you for the link Jazmaan!

I too grew up here in L.A. and listened to all those stations. Nothing these days can even come close (except Little Steven's Underground Garage), and I've been jonesing for something like this!

Looks like I'm in for some great listening!!!
bob f. Posted - 05/01/2005 : 06:46:33
As an L.A. native , i've gone through am radio in the '60s,and early fm . in L.A. the radio stations we listenend to : krla. khj, kfwb, played LOVE A LOT! LOVE is our home band! we , here need to remember our history! support Arthur Lee, rejoice in his art. commercial radio SUCKS now. ARTHUR LEE AND LOVE came into am radio just at the cusp of experimental fm/ am emergence, around 1966/67. BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD, BYRDS, LOVE, were the main stuff here in L.A. the 60s. radio sucks now, except for those college radio shows, and listener supported stations. best way now is just play your own recordings, enjoy them, and laugh at the mainstream music lame media!
oldfartatplay Posted - 04/01/2005 : 00:20:30
For Jazzman & all other Love'sters who are into Underground radio,I must mention again Ted Alvy's 'Cosmos Topper'pages.Ted maintains a web-site which is a mine of links to all sorts of info relating to the history of the Underground radio scene in LA & the USA,along with the LA music scene in general.He also co-wrote lyrics for Mallard (a Magic Band off-shoot,well loved in this parish - Happy New Year LarryNYC!),and was a close friend of Neon Park (remember those fabulous Little Feat album covers).Ted also flies the flag for the wonderful Firesign Theatre,who started out with their own underground raio show,and are now back going on strong.(Largely due to the phenomena of the internet,which re-united them with their fan-base and audience).Ted's pages are to be found at - httm://members.aol.com/tedalvy/index.htm
jazmaan Posted - 03/01/2005 : 02:44:21
Love "My Little Red Book" is also on The Real Don Steele's June 20, 1969 playlist.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page