Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2004 :  07:17:09  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been listening to a lot of 60's radio recently. Today it was B. Mitchell Reed on KMET-FM (Los Angeles), 9/20/70. The playlist included this sequence: "8 Miles High" (Byrds), "Alone Again Or" (Love), B. Mitchell commenting on Spiro Agnew campaigning against drug culture songs, and then "The Pusher" (Steppenwolf). Don't ask me why he sandwiched "Alone Again Or" in there. It never struck me as a drug song!

Some other interesting segments had B.M.R. reading a then current Mick Jagger quote "I'd rather DIE than be onstage singing Satisfaction at age 49!" segued into Tina Turner's version of "Honky Tonk Women". Then B.M.R. read a cease-and-desist letter from the Beatles' publishers enjoining KMET from further plays of the Beatles unreleased "Get Back" lp. He followed the letter with Nilsson's cover of "You Can't Do That".

Other songs in the same hour: "I Got A Line on You" (Spirit), "Rollin and Tumblin" (Canned Heat), "Only You Know and I Know" (Dave Mason), "Wooden Ships" (Jefferson Airplane).

I love 60's radio!

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2004 :  15:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jazmaan...I am a 'hopeless' student and product of the 60's as well LOL. There is a radio show back here in Philly on Saturday morning called 'Saturday Morning 60's', hosted by a DJ that's been around here for over 35 years. Outside of that show and my 60's/early 70's vinyl collection (1,000 +), that's my only way of living my past, so to speak. When I think about all the great bands that came out of LA in the 60's, it still blows my mind [Buffalo Springfield, Electric Flag, The Byrds, LOVE, The Doors, Spirit, Mothers of Invention, The Seeds, Leon Russell, Canned Heat, Carole King...and more]

The 60's...age of mind expansion in every regard
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2004 :  23:23:06  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many people don't realize that there is a treasure trove of classic 60's radio available for free online. Visit http://www.reelradio.com and do a search for the call letters of your favorite radio station and you'll see what I mean.

I grew up in Los Angeles where KHJ "Boss Radio" ruled the AM airwaves in the 60's. There are many incredible hours of KHJ available on this site. In fact, the KHJ will spoil you because its of such high sound quality. But whatever station you choose, try and find the selections that are described as "unscoped". That means all the original songs, commercials, promos, weather and news are complete and unedited.

Unfortunately ReelRadio.Com doesn't have a lot of underground radio. But that underground FM stuff is out there too if you search long enough. I just finished listening to a 3 hour set of KPPC-FM from 1968 where Frank Zappa was the guest DJ, spinning all his favorite 50's oldies from his personal collection!
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2004 :  10:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jazmaan - thank you so much for the reelradio link. Colin and I love 60s American radio - it was what inspired Colin to become involved in radio in the first place. KHJ is the GOD of US radio stations in our eyes and radio today just doesn't compare in my opinion. I'm off to have a listen now.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2004 :  10:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a look - Robert W Morgan is Colin's hero and we're listening to him right now!

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2004 :  18:37:19  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I highly recommend the July 3, 1967 Real Don Steele Show. It's partially scoped but still an incredible listen. Then try the Feb 67 Steele show. In fact ANY 60's Real Don Steele show is an amazing experience and they have lots of them. I was just telling Arthur that the May 3, 1966 show included "Little Red Book".
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2004 :  19:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jazmaan, we'll have a listen to those recommendations.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2004 :  21:50:04  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is a great radio station hosted by Little Steven lots of stuff by bands such as LOVE - the Seeds - Fuzztones - Electric Prunes - Ramones - New York Dolls (etc) http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

sclean
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2004 :  23:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What site are the KPPC-FM shows available on?
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  01:26:51  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The KPPC and KMET shows are $5/hr on cassette or $10/hr on CD from
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ahmintz/
Go to Top of Page

sclean
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  01:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, I have been searching for something like that for a long long time!
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  21:42:25  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listening to KHJ October 18, 1967 I just heard a promo for a KHJ sponsored compilation of various artists including Love doing "Orange Skies"!

I own a KHJ "Boss 30" lp that contains "7 & 7 Is" but this was a different compilation. Anybody here ever seen it?
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  01:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is such a cool site. Tina Delgado is alive, alive. I had forgotten all about that one.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  02:44:21  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love "My Little Red Book" is also on The Real Don Steele's June 20, 1969 playlist.
Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  00:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Jazzman & all other Love'sters who are into Underground radio,I must mention again Ted Alvy's 'Cosmos Topper'pages.Ted maintains a web-site which is a mine of links to all sorts of info relating to the history of the Underground radio scene in LA & the USA,along with the LA music scene in general.He also co-wrote lyrics for Mallard (a Magic Band off-shoot,well loved in this parish - Happy New Year LarryNYC!),and was a close friend of Neon Park (remember those fabulous Little Feat album covers).Ted also flies the flag for the wonderful Firesign Theatre,who started out with their own underground raio show,and are now back going on strong.(Largely due to the phenomena of the internet,which re-united them with their fan-base and audience).Ted's pages are to be found at - httm://members.aol.com/tedalvy/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  06:46:33  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
As an L.A. native , i've gone through am radio in the '60s,and early fm . in L.A. the radio stations we listenend to : krla. khj, kfwb, played LOVE A LOT! LOVE is our home band! we , here need to remember our history! support Arthur Lee, rejoice in his art. commercial radio SUCKS now. ARTHUR LEE AND LOVE came into am radio just at the cusp of experimental fm/ am emergence, around 1966/67. BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD, BYRDS, LOVE, were the main stuff here in L.A. the 60s. radio sucks now, except for those college radio shows, and listener supported stations. best way now is just play your own recordings, enjoy them, and laugh at the mainstream music lame media!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page