Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 The 8/09 Love band is doing its best

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
probyn gregory Posted - 18/08/2009 : 20:55:34
Just a quick note from the road to say thanks to all the faithful who came out to see Love featuring Johnny Echols, and weren't buffaloed by the absence of Elec. Prunes or Seeds or Moby Grape or Blues Magoos. Most of us may not be the original guys, but we are out here away from our families, performing this material because we honor the legacy of this unique music and want to keep it alive. Believe me, this tour is NOT making any money, so it can't be about that.
thanks again, fans
Probyn Gregory, side guy
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
caryne Posted - 28/08/2009 : 13:23:05
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Well, I wasn't worried about the sex appeal part!

I actually thought his vocal performances, over the original doors backing track, weren't too bad.

(And BTW, yes, while he can be a little one-dimensional at times, VK was in one of my favourite kids films: Willow, so he can almost be forgiven anything in my book.)

Jim was a very sensual perfomer, I would have thought that obvious even to heterosexual males(), VK just doesn't have that sensuality.
boombox Posted - 28/08/2009 : 12:07:21
Well, I wasn't worried about the sex appeal part!

I actually thought his vocal performances, over the original doors backing track, weren't too bad.

(And BTW, yes, while he can be a little one-dimensional at times, VK was in one of my favourite kids films: Willow, so he can almost be forgiven anything in my book.)
caryne Posted - 28/08/2009 : 00:03:36
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

... lots of opinion..
Another opinion: Densmore helped out Stone in the film. He thought Kilmer shojuld have been nominated for an Oscar for the portrayal which btw gave him the "creeps". Densmore thought he really captured Morrison. I'll probably take another look.

Guess we'll have to agree to differ, Kilmer is, as far as I'm concerned, one of those actors who can ruin a film by just being in it. As someone else said here in the Doors movie he is as wooden as a person could be and (and perhaps being a woman helps here) he just didn't have the sex appeal of Jim.
rocker Posted - 27/08/2009 : 20:43:16
... lots of opinion..
Another opinion: Densmore helped out Stone in the film. He thought Kilmer shojuld have been nominated for an Oscar for the portrayal which btw gave him the "creeps". Densmore thought he really captured Morrison. I'll probably take another look.
The sweet disorder Posted - 27/08/2009 : 20:22:07

quote:Originally posted by boombox

I'm with lk - I'd love to see all three surviving doors playing together again - even if for a one off farewell tour. I'm all for Robbie and Ray keeping it going too - maybe it's becasue I'm not a drummer, but both of them has such an inimitable style that they defined the sound of the doors in a way which John perhaps did not.

However, for me, the ultimate would be for the three of them to play, perhaps with a bass player, with Ray doing 90% of the vocals himself, rather than getting in a Jim clone. Better yet, get Val Kilmer back in - he didn't do a bad job on the vocals in the film.

I agreed with every word of your post until the last sentence!! Val Kilmer was awful in that film (actually Kilmer is awful in every film) so please not him with the rest of the guys.

Caryne

Surely not!!! What about Tombstone?? - "Why Johnny Ringo, it looked like somebody just stepped over your grave" a sterling performance from the Ice Man

Got to agree about "The Doors" though - a decidedly wooden performance!!

Cheers

Ian
rocker Posted - 27/08/2009 : 19:33:36
..ok... a little music levitee here!...
saw this one..."If a drummer plays a steady beat for too long he will begin to lose timing so he has to play a fill to get the timing back!"...

And true??? ...if a drummer plays with "feel" that means he plays whatever he "feels" like!
lemonade kid Posted - 27/08/2009 : 18:39:48
quote:

Don't get me wrong - I do recognise drummers' invaluable contributions to a band's overall sound - and particularly those who play with a jazz influence like Densmore, Peart and Baker. It's just as I'm not a drummer, it's usually the last thing I listen for.

My usual way into a band is via the guitarist(s), then vocals, keyboards, bass and finally drums. I suppose it's too many years of folk musicians with acoustic guitars. If the song has enough of a beat to it, you can manage without a drummer - I mean Ritchie Havens did pretty damn well, didn't he? For me, as a guitarist first and foremost, in the doors, it's strangely the keyboards and keyboard bass part that defines their sound for me.

And what about John Mayall's Turning Point....no drums and you don't miss it a bit!! But I always listen to the drums first. If I hear anything that even resembles a drum machine,,,,I'm outta there!!! Speaking of Mayall (BORN 1933!!)...Who has introduced more talent than he?!!!!

Eric Clapton
Jack Bruce
Peter Green
John McVee
Mick Fleetwood
Mick Taylor
John "Sugarcane" Harris
Harvey Mandel
Larry Taylor
Aynsley Dunbar
Hughie Flint
John Hiseman
Dick Heckstall-Smith
Andy Frasier
Jon Mark, Johnny Almond
Walter Clark
Coco Montoya
Buddy Whittington

He's on tour again and a new LP this September!!! Go John!!!

boombox Posted - 27/08/2009 : 18:01:05
Don't get me wrong - I do recognise drummers' invaluable contributions to a band's overall sound - and particularly those who play with a jazz influence like Densmore, Peart and Baker. It's just as I'm not a drummer, it's usually the last thing I listen for.

My usual way into a band is via the guitarist(s), then vocals, keyboards, bass and finally drums. I suppose it's too many years of folk musicians with acoustic guitars. If the song has enough of a beat to it, you can manage without a drummer - I mean Ritchie Havens did pretty damn well, didn't he? For me, as a guitarist first and foremost, in the doors, it's strangely the keyboards and keyboard bass part that defines their sound for me.
rocker Posted - 27/08/2009 : 15:00:46
And just an fyi if any want to play bass like McCartney you can by going to nowplayit.com. He's there giving a lesson. Just search for McCartney. I think he does drums and guitar too. Bass on...
TJSAbass Posted - 27/08/2009 : 06:17:16
I've been noticing more and more how distinctive Kenny's sound was in Love. The tone and the playing. You really wouldn't mistake him for anyone else. I am also a big fan of Bruce Palmer, he was definitely the soul of Springfield. (Yes, I have played bass myself fwiw.) Funny how Densmore and Morrison were often at odds socially, according to John's book, yet they played off each other musically alot.
The Freedom Man Posted - 26/08/2009 : 22:44:06
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes, I too have often reflected upon just how remarkably stable The Doors were as a unit. I wonder whether they appreciated much more the importance of what what they were doing than did Love...their output was certainly much more consistent....but perhaps they lacked that extra enigmatic craziness that Arthur had when he was at his best. It is interesting to note that both bands had released six albums by 1971 and whilst The Doors never scaled the heights of Forever Changes, neither did they plumb the depths of False Start. I can still remember them doing Hello I Love You on Top of the Pops. And of course there was that legendary concert with the Airplane at London's Roundhouse when Morrisson and Slick traded vocals - Jim doing Somebody to Love and Grace tackling Light My Fire.

Wish we had that recording of the traded vocals.Guess you don't remember which date it was, Sept 6 & 7? Never heard that by the way.

http://www.thefreedomman.com/
PRESS THE LINK!
lemonade kid Posted - 26/08/2009 : 21:14:05
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Addressing the drummer issue, boomer!!.....Ha! For me, John had a very unique style that verged on jazz. I think some of his fills were as unique as Ringo's. Distinguishable from any other.
Powerful and deceptively simple sometimes, but as important as the others, for me, to the DOORS sound. i know you said that you weren't a drummer, hence your view......being a drummer, I thought I'd give you mine.

If you revisit some of the live performances from the studio footage (Classic Collectors DVD), you may see something there...I always liked his unique licks. "When The Music's Over" LP & live too.

I'm not a drummer either but I too think drummers and, to a lesser extent, bass players get a raw deal. Both these instruments are the vital backbone to so much music but they just don't get the credit they deserve.

For sure, Caryne! Just the rhythm section, right! We were just discussing this at Freed's site, as the excellent bass player on the first DOORS album has just passed away.

Many 60's rock bass players were guitar players moved to bass out of necessity. Many did a cracker jack job, though...Chris Hillman was one of the best when moved from mandolin.

Buffalo Springfield's Bruce Palmer on the other hand (among the elite bassist), WAS a bass player and recruited for his reputation. Peer bands really loved his playing and knew his playing to be the major force that created the ROCK sound for Buff, along with Dewey Martin--a great drummer with vast connections as a rock and soul drummer, and former member of the electric Dillards....... the rest of Buff were folkies gone rock! RIP Bruce.

There is a lot to be said for the core of a band that provides the solid RHYTHM....the sound!!!

caryne Posted - 26/08/2009 : 19:43:44
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Addressing the drummer issue, boomer!!.....Ha! For me, John had a very unique style that verged on jazz. I think some of his fills were as unique as Ringo's. Distinguishable from any other.
Powerful and deceptively simple sometimes, but as important as the others, for me, to the DOORS sound. i know you said that you weren't a drummer, hence your view......being a drummer, I thought I'd give you mine.

If you revisit some of the live performances from the studio footage (Classic Collectors DVD), you may see something there...I always liked his unique licks. "When The Music's Over" LP & live too.

I'm not a drummer either but I too think drummers and, to a lesser extent, bass players get a raw deal. Both these instruments are the vital backbone to so much music but they just don't get the credit they deserve.
lemonade kid Posted - 26/08/2009 : 19:39:40

caryne Posted - 26/08/2009 : 18:33:26
quote:

I'm with lk - I'd love to see all three surviving doors playing together again - even if for a one off farewell tour. I'm all for Robbie and Ray keeping it going too - maybe it's becasue I'm not a drummer, but both of them has such an inimitable style that they defined the sound of the doors in a way which John perhaps did not.

However, for me, the ultimate would be for the three of them to play, perhaps with a bass player, with Ray doing 90% of the vocals himself, rather than getting in a Jim clone. Better yet, get Val Kilmer back in - he didn't do a bad job on the vocals in the film.

I agreed with every word of your post until the last sentence!! Val Kilmer was awful in that film (actually Kilmer is awful in every film) so please not him with the rest of the guys.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page