Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur's quiet years.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
myoungish Posted - 05/09/2007 : 08:09:23
I don't know about anyone else, but I do wonder what Dr. Lee was up to from...say... 1972 to 1992. I mean, obviously there was some serious inertia going on (and various forms of fortification)...but does anyone have any insight or Revelation?

Michael Young
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chris@StartProductions Posted - 12/09/2007 : 12:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:
Originally posted by jazmaan

Some of my best times with Arthur happened during those years. Arthur was a big fight fan and he always had pay-per-view parties. Leonard-Hearns, Leonard-Hagler, Leonard-Duran -- I saw all those fights at Arthur's house in Sun Valley. Those were the days!

Some great fighters around at that time, especially welterweight/middleweight. Do you recall if Arthur have a favourite?

Arthur told us he was at the 'infamous' second Ali versus Sonny Liston fight. Said he went in and his step-father was trying to park the car, by the time he'd parked it and got to his seat, the fight was over!

myoungish Posted - 12/09/2007 : 08:10:25
I likes, kdion. The mighty Lee vs. Buddy Miles is one for the ages!...Okay, concerning Arthur's quiet years, another thing that befuddles me is the fuzziness and lack of solid biography surrounding some absolutely monumental recordings. For instance: who was the horn section for that little mind-blowing gem called Always See Your Face? And it seems as if nobody is really clear on who really played on the mighty and profoundly underrated, under-anthologized song called Your Mind and We Belong Together.....And of course I refuse to re-open the mysterious can of words called Gesthemane, in which at least ten songs were actually given names (including 4(!) supposedly co-written by Lee/MacLean.

Michael Young
kdion11 Posted - 11/09/2007 : 21:57:39
quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:

Some of my best times with Arthur happened during those years. Arthur was a big fight fan and he always had pay-per-view parties. Leonard-Hearns, Leonard-Hagler, Leonard-Duran -- I saw all those fights at Arthur's house in Sun Valley. Those were the days!

Some great fighters around at that time, especially welterweight/middleweight. Do you recall if Arthur have a favourite?

KD: All this talk about boxing reminds me of that great Celbrity
Death Match: Arthur "Pistol Whipping" Lee vs. Buddy "Crack Thief" Miles - of course staged as the main event to the 60th Birthday
Bash for Jimi Hendrix in LA at BB King's.

What a night ! DING !

Free the fights !
scully Posted - 11/09/2007 : 13:55:30
quote:

rocker Posted - 10/09/2007 : 14:22:11
..the "quiet" years...I've always wondered why Arthur didn't do a "Chronicles" kind of thing like Dylan did. To me, he was a pretty good song writer who knew how to express himself in a unique way. Yet he never put anything down. Not sure if he was lazy, didn't care about his "legacy" or what but it would've been good to know he saw things in those days and where we're are all goin' to. (Arthur could've made it entertaining too because I think he could be hilarious as well as serious. I never met him but I think he could crack me up..)
jazmaan Posted - 10/09/2007 : 03:00:22
I booked Love into that Madame Wong's gig (and all his other gigs around that time period), so I'm sure I must have seen your band that night!
bob f. Posted - 08/09/2007 : 22:40:09
i remember (a little!) being at a late '70s show in downtown L.A.
LOVE, and The GO-GOS!

...what the world needs now...
Merlyn Merlot Posted - 08/09/2007 : 21:49:42
[quote]Originally posted by jazmaan

I was there. Arthur was actually pretty active on the L.A. club circuit. Those were tough times for 60's legends. But Arthur wasn't much interested in his 60's legacy during those years anyway. Orange Skies and Little Red Book were mainstays but he was just as likely to play "Mr. Lee" or "With a Little Energy". He was playing Madame Wong's, The Hong Kong Cafe, Music Machine and similar clubs around town. John Sterling and Melvin Whittington were his guitarists. When they both showed up to play those shows were musically exciting. But half the time one of them wouldn't show."

I saw 3 Great shows in the 80's
One my bands at the time
Andy and the Rattlesnakes
Opened for Love at Wong's Chinatown
another time at the same club
i saw Sterling who I grew up with in Las Vegas
and The amazing Bruce Gary play a mega set with Love
and a 3rd show @ The universal where Arthur was in Top form

I also want to say the 3 times i had conversations with the man
he was always funny and focussed Peace in
John9 Posted - 08/09/2007 : 12:20:17
quote:
Arthur was actually pretty active on the L.A. club circuit. Those were tough times for 60's legends. But Arthur wasn't much interested in his 60's legacy during those years anyway.

I think this is often the case with former group members (or leaders) who by the 1970s had major and critically acclaimed bodies of work behind them. 'The Solo Years' is the title of a chapter that has been written in the histories of any number of groups who had been truly innovative during the 1960s. During this later phase though they tend to see their solo albums as the really important ones whilst downplaying the significance of their truly great work. It is often only decades later that they come to recognise their own true musical legacy. I think (and this is an entirely personal view) that the 1960s people who were doing best in the mid 70s were those whose songwriting had been always been so prolific that it could never adequately be contained within the confines of a group. Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young I would count as examples. Their albums from this time are still counted as being amongst their most dynamic and forward looking and thus they stand proudly alongside their earlier classics.

This said, I remember the 1975 touring incarnation of Love as being a remarkably tight, focussed and professional band who treated us all to a joyous celebration of so many classic songs. I still think that their version of 'Alone Again Or' was the best I've ever heard - but then I've always been easy prey for the nostalgia bug!
myoungish Posted - 08/09/2007 : 09:23:02
Wow, jazzman. That's what I'm talking about! Thanx. It's still hard for me to imagine that the same guy who wrote A House Is Not A Motel could also sit around on a lazy Saturday afternoon watching boxing on pay-per-view. He was such a peculiar mix of brilliant and enigmatic surrealism..... and down-home all-Americanism.

Michael Young
jazmaan Posted - 08/09/2007 : 06:45:45
I was there. Arthur was actually pretty active on the L.A. club circuit. Those were tough times for 60's legends. But Arthur wasn't much interested in his 60's legacy during those years anyway. Orange Skies and Little Red Book were mainstays but he was just as likely to play "Mr. Lee" or "With a Little Energy". He was playing Madame Wong's, The Hong Kong Cafe, Music Machine and similar clubs around town. John Sterling and Melvin Whittington were his guitarists. When they both showed up to play those shows were musically exciting. But half the time one of them wouldn't show.

myoungish Posted - 07/09/2007 : 23:34:58
Free the blanks, indeed....and a great point, Kula John ("do you reckon Arthur knew?")...The only other big-time musicians I can think of with so many wilderness years are Sly and Syd.

Michael Young
kdion11 Posted - 07/09/2007 : 19:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

I don't know about anyone else, but I do wonder what Dr. Lee was up to from...say... 1972 to 1992. I mean, obviously there was some serious inertia going on (and various forms of fortification)...but does anyone have any insight or Revelation?

Michael Young

KD: Well at the SF show at Bimbo's in 2002 or whenever it was,
Arthur dedicated Everybody's got to Live to "his hero" John Lennon.
He went on to say that he was in LA County Jail when he saw the news of Lennon's murder on TV !

That of course was in Dec 1980 - fill in the blanks.

Free the blanks !
Kula John Posted - 05/09/2007 : 23:25:08
Do you reckon Arthur knew?!! It's a good question though.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page