Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 If Love had played Monterey Pop...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
myoungish Posted - 17/07/2007 : 07:03:45
Just got a new 4-DVD 40th Anniversary Edition of the Monterey Pop Festival. I couldn't help but wonder...what if? First of all, we would have a beautifully shot concert of our favorite band in their absolute prime. Can you imagine them coming on after..say...Otis Redding? Or right before Hendrix? Blowing people's minds with Maybe The People and Alone Again Or and 7 And 7 Is?

The mind boggles wondering just how different Love's history would be if they had made that short pilgrimage. Supposedly one of the reasons they were weary of going is because they'd be too far from their dealer. Somehow I have a feeling they could have scored anything they desired up in Monterey in the summer of '67. Ah, bless 'em, they wouldn't be the Love we love if they had made "smart" career moves....

Michael Young
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
myoungish Posted - 24/09/2007 : 06:18:27
jazmann, just read your account of the bum who had a moment of clarity and recognition when he saw Arthur. Only, only in London would that happen (and just maybe in l.a.) Arthur's reaction is a bit peculiar, considering how much of an underground cult figure he was in the scheme of things....
And ZFarrar, I couldn't agree with you more concerning the fact that Morrison did put in the hard work while Arthur tended The Castle, and that's part of why The Doors are household names. Also agree about the hypocricy and pettiness of so many so-called hippies. At least Arthur didn't fake any flower power precociousness. Much of the time he seemed to be a paranoid, anti-social curmudgeon, but you get a sense he was a wounded and idealistic romantic at heart...somewhere way, way down there.

Michael Young
barbinberkeley Posted - 23/09/2007 : 21:34:32
I went to the 40th Summer of Love at Golden Gate Park. From my point of view, it was a wonderful day. We put on our prettiest, most colorful clothes and my old friend dug his Nehru shirt out of the back of the closet. I even put flowers in my hair. It was funny, though, that Country Joe and Barry Melton both performed there, but not together. I understand they still don't speak. Barry Melton was great. Still a powerful voice and can really turn up the heat.He went to law school after the Fish, and is now a public defender in Yolo County. Canned Heat was down to one guy, only one Chambers Brother, but Time Has Come Today, had me jumping in the air! Jefferson Starship did Volunteers of America, and I just about floated away with joy. Taj Mahal sang Corina, and I cried. It was a good day for fans, anyway, despite all the BS behind the set-up.
ZFarrar Posted - 23/09/2007 : 07:57:10
Should have could have what of. He wouldn't play because of his dislike for Lou Adler. I was involved with a recent Summer of Love event which included some of the Monterey bands and artists. Its the same boring thing when it comes to conflicts & feuds, these guys are in their 60's and preaching love & peace, and many famous names can't even bring themselves to play or speak to former band members due to old fights.

I
find it hypocritical as hell, actually kind of funny. But Arthur was a classic anti-social type. Look at how little he collaborated with other artists. Sorry, but the Doors have a larger footprint in music than Love. It wasn't unearned either. As self-destructive and nuts as Jim Morrison was he worked a lot harder than Arthur Lee ever did. The Doors were gigging while Arthur was hanging out in his house. Not being critical, just factual. I think its also folly for people to say, "well you know Arthur got gigs around LA, he didn't need the touring". At what point did that dry up, and compare the paycheck of a club gig & a major concert tour. Yes all the bands played for free at Monterey.
rocker Posted - 31/08/2007 : 19:07:40
jazmaan..you know it owuld look that after what happened to Lennon that was a pretty realistic approach that Arthur had in being in the public's eye...When Lennon got murdered here I was stunned. I couldn't believe it. "Fame" can give you a precarious existence.
jazmaan Posted - 31/08/2007 : 05:55:20
Arthur had a strange relationship with fame. I'll never forget one evening in 1996 we were walking in London near "The Powerhouse". A very drunk derelict "Agualung" sort of bum was practically passed out in the gutter. But when we walked past him he gazed up out of his stupor, and in a moment of clarity weakly pointed and exclaimed "Arthur Lee!" Arthur was visibly disturbed and when I asked him why he said that he always had in the back of his mind that he might suffer the same fate as John Lennon at the hands of some deranged fan.
barbinberkeley Posted - 30/08/2007 : 22:57:58
Fame. One thing about it is that people who didn't know you are still wondering what you were about even after you're dead. About agoraphobia, when I had it I couldn't even get in an elevator, so I seriously doubt a phobic would get in a plane for England fortified (heh-heh) or not. So, probably my idea wasn't valid.
rocker Posted - 30/08/2007 : 14:16:04
allan..

You make some good points. I'd just like to add that I think deep down we'll never really "know" where Arthur wanted to take the band. I don't think "fame" meant alot to Arthur well at least he didn't lust after it like some others and I'd say that that was why he was pretty comfortable doing his thing there in LA. Funny thing is I think fame chased him anyway whether he liked it or not. And hey we're always constantly talking about him and the band anyway. He made his mark on alot of things. And agorophobia?..heh heh well he traveled alot to the UK but I guess maybe he had to be "fortified"???...
Allan Posted - 30/08/2007 : 02:05:12
Many here have said that Arthur just didn't like to travel. He was very comfortable and very much at home being in LA.

I, like many of you, recently purchased 'Riot on Sunset Strip'. Arthur's roots was with R&B before the Grass Roots and LOVE. It seems that many local R&B groups and Surfin' bands to LA didn't travel out of LA much because there were so many venues that they could gig at within LA. They were popular within the local realm and were making money with all of the gigs that they did have.

We all know how very popular LOVE was at Bido Lido's and the Whiskey during their heyday. And the void they filled when The Byrds were internationally touring. All the more reason why Arthur wanted to stay in LA.

Of course I'm with all of you in wishing that Arthur and the band did tour a whole lot more than they did. But I also see Arthur's point of view on this...he was popular, making money, and comfortable just being in LA

Allan

barbinberkeley Posted - 30/08/2007 : 00:14:33
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

quote:
Originally posted by barbinberkeley

Too bad they didn't go. It looked like a beautiful day in the park. They would have fit right in. It's not even that far to drive up here from los angeles, even without insurance.

I always heard that LOVE didn't play at Monterrey so Arthur could
"get back" Lou Adler - To quote Brian Maclean, "we sure showed
him, didn't we ?"

Free the gigs !

kdion11 Posted - 29/08/2007 : 18:30:34
quote:
Originally posted by barbinberkeley

Too bad they didn't go. It looked like a beautiful day in the park. They would have fit right in. It's not even that far to drive up here from los angeles, even without insurance.

I always heard that LOVE didn't play at Monterrey so Arthur could
"get back" Lou Adler - To quote Brian Maclean, "we sure showed
him, didn't we ?"

Free the gigs !
barbinberkeley Posted - 29/08/2007 : 02:55:01
jazmaan Posted - 28/08/2007 : 05:49:37
Wasn't Monterey supposed to be a charity event? Meaning the groups didn't get paid? If so, there's your answer right there as to why Arthur wasn't interested.
TJSAbass Posted - 28/08/2007 : 02:16:11
I just watched Monterey Pop this weekend, the new version with Adler's commentary track. It's a little irritating to hear them constantly say "everybody" was there, meaning all the big groups. There were a couple big omissions! Love and The Doors were MIA, but young people watching will probably not realize that. I wish he had talked candidly about the bands that DIDN'T play. The original cut of the movie makes it look alot like a San Francisco gig, despite no Dead. The Sunset Strip heavyweights did not represent well. I can't wait to see the extra footage of the Byrds and Springfield.
myoungish Posted - 27/08/2007 : 06:58:57
I agree, barbinberkeley, with your speculation that Arthur had agorophobia, and it seems he had social anxiety issues too. Fragile psyches mixed with a dose of genius and strong acid, etc, can be a heavy cocktail.

Michael Young
barbinberkeley Posted - 27/08/2007 : 06:20:01
Monterrey Pop Festival is a beautiful video. I can finally look back on that time and see the beauty and promise and innocence there. I had forgotten what a great psychedelic band Country Joe and the Fish was. Mostly known for the Vietnam Rag, but they could really take you "far out." Joe lives here in Berkeley. I don't know what about the rest of the Fish. It was Barry Melton who sang the Vietnam Rag. You can watch it on youtube. I doubt the rumor about Arthur Lee not wanting to be away from his dealer. There were plenty of them right here. Perhaps he was afraid of travelling. Maybe had a bit of agoraphobia.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page