Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 Anything Else
 World Cup 2010

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 04/12/2009 : 19:50:22
oh boy England vs US square off first..very interesting....looking forward to this one...the pundits are already talking!....
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 12/01/2010 : 22:07:58
You know I picked up the BBC news and they noted that Togo was told by a rebel commander that there would be trouble if the team went in there. Not sure if they thought it was an unreliable threat but the commander was at his word and tragedy struck.
And I'll tell you something it's to Britain's credit that there hasn't been an "incident" in any of stadiums when a Premiership games is played. I'm sure they have their work cut out for them each week.
John9 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 15:43:03
It is certainly worrying, Rocker ....though I think what happened here had quite a lot to do with the special problems that Angola faces in the Cabinda enclave...which is territorially separate from the rest of the country. Although South Africa has an extremely high crime rate in certain areas, there is probably a much lower risk of political terrorism...and of course it has a much more fully developed infrastructure. I would imagine though that the organisers of the London Olympics will be keeping a keen watch on what happens this coming summer. This said, as we have seen to the cost of both our countries, and most recently of course over Detroit, Al-Qaeda are an ever present threat...both to our safety...and to civilisation.

Before last night's City against Blackburn game, an impeccably observed one minute silence was held for the men who died in Angola.
rocker Posted - 12/01/2010 : 14:39:34
Togo is now out of the African Nations Cup. 3 of their football team are dead and the their team had to go home. I hope this incident isn't going to affect the Cup later on'...FIFA says not to worry.
BobbyFischer Posted - 12/12/2009 : 16:27:56
yeah! I was quite shocked when the nobel comitee announced Obama,and I still think its to early,great president who I have high hopes for but he hasnt actually done so much allready..That said he held one hell of a speach where he explained the paradox of being involved in twø wars and getting the peace prize.
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Thanks Bobby.....I see that you have President Obama in your country today!

quote:

rocker Posted - 10/12/2009 : 14:43:21
You know i'm just think of some of the scenarios that can come from that upcoming game on June 12.

1. England wins/US loses ..all's well in the football world. The football gods are right in their heaven!
2. US wins/England loses..the football world turned upside down. But but if the pundits rap about the "death knell" of English football then the country will have to be prepared for what I think will be the most ridiculous comments on what it would all mean just because a few US guys beat'em in a WC game. We'll get the same. I can see the headlines if we win by 1 goal....US CRUSHES ENGLAND ONE-NIL!!!!! A new dawn in US soccer!!! The crowd roars and all genuflect in front to King Donovan!. (meanwhile some will say can't that guy get a game in Europe???)...oh man what we all have to think about!...
John9 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 11:52:59

BobbyFischer Posted - 09/12/2009 : 23:24:31
Close John,had to google it goes like this "We want the finest wines available to humanity we want it here and we want it now!!" setting: trip from Uncle Montys cabin to the nearest village drunk as skunks,"rejuvinating" in this cosy cafe that hasnt changed since the 50s,inluding the clients and people working there :).Priceless!! Love that movie
quote:

Thanks Bobby - and Withnail and I is a terrific film. What was that immortal line shouted out in a quiet little tearoom in Keswick? It went something like this: "I demand the finest wines this country has to offer.....I want them here........and I want them now!"

John9 Posted - 09/12/2009 : 20:47:29
Thanks Bobby - and Withnail and I is a terrific film. What was that immortal line shouted out in a quiet little tearoom in Keswick? It went something like this: "I demand the finest wines this country has to offer.....I want them here........and I want them now!"
BobbyFischer Posted - 09/12/2009 : 15:48:22
Great post John! Even though England "only" have won the World Cup once you sure picked the perfect year to do it,The greatest year of mankind to paraphrase Withnail and I
John9 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 23:47:54
Thinking back to the time when we did last win it - in 1966.....it gave such an incredible lift to the nation. For example it got grannies interested in soccer for the first time. People were actually throwing themselves into the fountains in Trafalgar Square amid scenes of frenzy. I remember saying to my mum at the time that it was far better for national pride to be channeled that way.....than in armed conflict. Harold Wilson's Labour government won a second term of office, partly on the back of the triumph. And of course.....the music......oh the music. Dylan had Blonde on Blonde out, the Stones were there with Aftermath and of course the Beatles with Revolver. The Byrds were releasing Fifth Dimension and we were seeing first albums from the Airplane, the Mothers.......and from a new little Los Angeles band whose name escapes me for the present. But more than any of this, Marianne Faithfull and Francoise Hardy were looking ever more lovely with each passing day. As Wordsworth once wrote of another time: "To be young was very heaven".
rocker Posted - 08/12/2009 : 22:27:43
heh heh now that's great!........football's great to argue about, eh?
BobbyFischer Posted - 08/12/2009 : 21:59:23
Have to love the Sun,not for its journalism but for its often brilliant over patriotic and optimistic sport headlines with funny word plays "best english group since the Beatles" ! and not least their cover after the drawing on whole front page:
England
Algerie
Slovenia
Yanks
EASY!!
rocker Posted - 08/12/2009 : 21:46:45
kula...

Good points you made. I don't think he's can be considered "Flash" but your comment about the "pacey wingers" may help him get out there doing his damage out there. Question is would he be a defensive liability which would cancel out his potential offensive effectiveness? I don't know. Maybe those wingers might have to strap some oxygen onto their backs??? On the other hand, Cappello will be ruthless as you say. The English guys he picks I know will die out there no doubt about it. The spirit cojuld be willing for some but the flesh will be weak. And man if I was a US back I'd be jangling in my jock seeing the likes of a Rooney or a Lennon come running at me when millions are watching...God bless'em and protect them..
Kula John Posted - 08/12/2009 : 21:13:58
I'm not sure about Becks. Capello is very much his own man and won't worry about upsetting people by not taking Becks. I'm torn really. Part of me says we should take him as in all fairness to Beckham (and I'm by no way his biggest fan) he is passionate and you do get the feeling he genuinely cares about pulling on the shirt and wearing the 3 lions . He also still has a lot of quality and can deliver that killer pass or cross.

However, we have some young, pacey wingers playing well in the premiership (Lennon, Wright-Phillips, etc) who may on paper offer a little bit more than Becks. I also wish Beckham would perhaps forget about the celeb culture he seems to chase and just keep his head down and concentrate on all things football.

It would be good to see Becks have one last shot and what a great story it would be if he played a part in a successful tournament. I have a feeling though that Capello will be ruthless and unless he is playing regularly for Milan Beckham may miss out.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
rocker Posted - 08/12/2009 : 18:30:23
Torben's quiet.wonder if he knows anything about those "bets" in Europe...

And tell me will we see Becks out there? Is he a high choice with Capello?

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page