Page: of 2

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2006 :  15:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wade Collins

Nuggets rocks!

Also, I just heard a CD entitled Pebbles. Electric Prunes, Lyrics, Sons Of Adam "Feathered Fish" is on it, along with The Quid & The Fantics.

Looking into some more Texas garage rock & psychedelica.

Texas psych was great. 13th Floor Elevators, Bubble Puppy, Moving Sidewalks! Ah...I love that stuff!

Love the Prunes too. Their recent live DVD is fantastic. Shws what could have been all those years ago. Definitely worth picking up, if you haven't already!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2006 :  20:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got to check that out.

What does the Sons of Adam version of Feathered Fish sound like ? I have only heard the Baby Lemonade version.

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2006 :  21:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, everone should definitely check out Texas Psych! Some of it is among the most important of the whole genre, especially the Elevators which you mentioned, but also the Golden Dawn (who are soon to release their follow-up to 1967's "Power Plant"--believe it or not, it's very soon to happen!!), and Red Crayola, Lost & Found, Fever Tree, The Chaynes, Thursday's Children, on and on...

> What does the Sons of Adam version of Feathered Fish sound like ? I have only heard the Baby Lemonade version. >

BL did a fairly precise rendering of it, so in ways it doesn't sound a whole lot different, aside from the fact the original has the EDGE, because it possesses the special alchemy that was those times, and that cannot be recreated.
I once saw the Screaming Trees cover it live, about 20 years ago, they opened their set with it, and damn near blew the roof off. I thought they were about to acheive lift-off, they hit it so hard!!
Powerful tune.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2006 :  22:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

I got to check that out.

What does the Sons of Adam version of Feathered Fish sound like ? I have only heard the Baby Lemonade version.

-Thomas Galasso

Thomas, I have send you the mp3 of it to the eddieb address.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  06:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you boombox. I really appreciate it. I listened to it, and it does sound very similar but much slower. I prefer the Baby Lemonade version, but it does sound a tad more modern than the awesome version The Sons did.

I can hear the lyrics much better from The Sons of Adam version, it is also too bad they couldn't get an album or two done before breaking up.

Now, the question is what would Love's have sounded like on Da Capo ? I am assuming somewhere in between the two, but leaning more on the Baby Lemonade style as I am sure Arthur had some input.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  18:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently bought music-related stuff:
A great DVD, of a movie they used to show on a latenight program in the early 80's that was called "Night Flight" (the program that introduced me to such fine things as Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" film, "Reefer Madness," "Bambi meets Godzilla," the ancient film "Trip to the Moon," Lenny Bruce's "Masked Man" cartoon, and Cammell/Roeg's enigmatic "Performance" (I still get dreams about Anita Pallenberg from that one)!
But, the li'l gem I picked up is the mighty "J-Men Forever!"
I can't wait to see it again, it used to kill me. It was done by the Firesign Theater with pieces of old sci-fi film put together with their voices-over, a story of these stoner agents fighting an alien who was trying to take over the world by using loud rock music to blast the snot out everyone...
Er, something like that. Hell, that was a long time ago I was probably .
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  20:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas

The following link will show you some vinyl from The Sons.

http://love.torbenskott.dk/sonsofadam.asp

I was fortunate enough to find the Moxie EP (Feathered Fish) on EBay some time ago. The EP is awesome

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  22:37:27  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Montage - Montage :D
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2006 :  03:55:32  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
ASTRO: i use to stay up all night in a certain state of mind watching "Night Flight"! it showed ephemeral films such as grade school dating and hygene, anti- stoner public address films, and, boy, that was good fun! " New Wave Theater"( local bands performing), was also a segment of the show, and my band, " The Generals", was on one of those episodes, along with "X", which was broadcast on the NIGHTFLIGHT show.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2006 :  05:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on bob f.! That show was the best. One of the progenitors of all the black and white retro-flash type thing that's still going on. Tons of great music and films, too. And your band was on New Wave Theater--wow, that's definitely a bright spot for a resume!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page