Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2006 :  16:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could anyone tell me if this album is worth getting? I've heard 3 or 4 clips from it and it sounds intriguing, but i just don't know whether to get it or not!

thanks in advance

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2006 :  13:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just dug out my copy, if you like Van Dyke's work with Brian Wilson I would consider buying it. However my main problem with the album is Park's vocals, to me they are annoying, whiny voice with slight echo, and ruin the album. If they are not annoying you on the sample cuts buy it.

Edited by - mikeb on 23/01/2006 13:38:59
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2006 :  21:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

Just dug out my copy, if you like Van Dyke's work with Brian Wilson I would consider buying it. However my main problem with the album is Park's vocals, to me they are annoying, whiny voice with slight echo, and ruin the album. If they are not annoying you on the sample cuts buy it.

I basically go along with mikeb here, I bought it last summer on a whim (cheap used cd on eBay), and after I guess three listens I'm still glad I did, though it probably won't find it's way to my stereo terribly often. Interesting sort-of "period piece" maybe I could call it.
It bears mentioning that I have only lightly tapped into Brian Wilson territory like Smile and Pet Sounds--I like those alot, just haven't been drawn all the way in yet.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2006 :  11:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok cheers for the help, think i'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay, see if i can pick up a cheap copy!!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page