Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 what you all listening to right now??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  21:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the albums themselves look good too..love "Ten Man Mop" and "Below the Salt"..treasure'em kid..

ok now to take a listen to "Cadgwith Anthem"...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2113 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  21:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The truly extraordinary I Am The Blues by Laura Nyro - from her jazzy 1976 album, Smile.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  18:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9


The truly extraordinary I Am The Blues by Laura Nyro - from her jazzy 1976 album, Smile.

You've mentioned that LP before and I keep neglecting to get it!



Right now i'm listening to "Tangerine Dream"......(UK) Kaleidoscope 1967. NICE!
1967 is the greatest year music history, like 1939 was the greatest year in movies!!

____________________________________________________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe. --Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  20:22:15  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by John9


The truly extraordinary I Am The Blues by Laura Nyro - from her jazzy 1976 album, Smile.

You've mentioned that LP before and I keep neglecting to get it!



Right now i'm listening to "Tangerine Dream"......(UK) Kaleidoscope 1967. NICE!
1967 is the greatest year music history, like 1939 was the greatest year in movies!!

____________________________________________________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe. --Albert Einstein



I would love to know why you think 1939 was the greatest year in movies?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  22:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by John9


The truly extraordinary I Am The Blues by Laura Nyro - from her jazzy 1976 album, Smile.

You've mentioned that LP before and I keep neglecting to get it!



Right now i'm listening to "Tangerine Dream"......(UK) Kaleidoscope 1967. NICE!
1967 is the greatest year music history, like 1939 was the greatest year in movies!!

____________________________________________________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe. --Albert Einstein



I would love to know why you think 1939 was the greatest year in movies?

That is the general consensus...most historians of film will concur.......

Google- 1939 in movies........my opinion agrees.

The Wizard of OZ...that one alone makes this year!!
Wuthering Heights
Gone With The Wind
Goodbye Mister Chips
Beau Geste
Dark Victoey
Gunga Din
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Destry Rids Again
Each Day I Die
The Hound, & Adventures, of Sherlock Holmes
Love Affair
Of Mice and Men
Only Angels Have Wings (considered Howard Hawks best film)
Ninotchka
The Roaring Twenties
Stagecoach
The Women
Young Mr Lincoln


Plenty of good years and eras...I just really like 1939 as the best of the Golden Age of Hollywood ( I didn't name it).....but I agree.

That's why.......but then you gotta love classic movies as i do.


____________________________________________________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe. --Albert Einstein

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/08/2009 22:36:03
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2113 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  22:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are of course some who would say that cinema's greatest masterpieces all precede 1929! But to my mind, the greatest year is always this year! So many intelligent movies seem to emerge continually from all over the world. Back in 1976, New York film critic, Pauline Kael summed up her movie viewing over the previous four years in a book called Reeling. She explained that apart from title's obvious cinematic connection, 'Reeling' also summed her sense of excitement whenever a new cinema experience awaited her. That's how it is with me as well.

Edited by - John9 on 25/08/2009 22:58:47
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  23:52:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

There are of course some who would say that cinema's greatest masterpieces all precede 1929! But to my mind, the greatest year is always this year! So many intelligent movies seem to emerge continually from all over the world. Back in 1976, New York film critic, Pauline Kael summed up her movie viewing over the previous four years in a book called Reeling. She explained that apart from title's obvious cinematic connection, 'Reeling' also summed her sense of excitement whenever a new cinema experience awaited her. That's how it is with me as well.



This is a very good point here. Must say I've never read any film historians waxing lyrical, particularly, about 1939 but maybe LK and I have read different stuff (I tend to read British/European for a start)?
I think LK has listed some excellent films from 1939 (along with some I find deadly dull) but I am sure I could come up with equally good lists from many other years if I cared to spend some time thinking about it.
Like John, I prefer to think that there is always great stuff to come, as in music, I prefer to keep up with what is current whilst still loving much from the past.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  19:50:27  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iggy Pop - The Idiot, a fine album
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  21:40:59  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Imagined Village -

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  21:43:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve64

The Imagined Village -

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com



Yeah, I mentioned that a few weeks ago. It's good isn't it?

http://www.imaginedvillage.com/
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  22:18:15  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
methinks "Wizard Of OZ" is missing from l.k.'s list.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  22:32:45  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Sandinista!" - The Clash's Great one! A real studio record, and has the songs that rule! this double album is chock full of great tunes and ambition and magic and talent!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  22:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

methinks "Wizard Of OZ" is missing from l.k.'s list.

...what the world needs now...

HA!! Right at the top of my MENTAL list.....so obvious I left it out!!! Thanks Bob.
FIXED!!!



____________________________________________________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe. --Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  21:15:02  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by steve64

The Imagined Village -

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com



Yeah, I mentioned that a few weeks ago. It's good isn't it?

http://www.imaginedvillage.com/



yeah I like it a lot, saw The Imagined Village at Beautiful Days Festival last saturday and brought the cd after,

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  21:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the site and I think it's great to see how the modern links up with the English folk past. Real liked John Barlycorn and Hard Times of Olde England...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06