New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A profoundly underrated song...To these ears, it's up there with God Only Knows and The Wind Cries Mary and all the Heavy classics. I mean, Arthur's high, tortured tenor, those chugging, ascending horns, his plaintive wail at the end: "I'm Looking at You...You're Looking at Me!" Still works every time. They rarely played it live, and you almost never see it mentioned in reviews of Four Sail, etc. Strange, but I suppose everything surrounding Arthurly is....

Michael Young

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  19:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO that side of "Four Sail" sucks.
They're out of tune and the songs are lousy.
But the other side, "August, I Am With You, Good Time, Your friend and Mine" are great! But I was never that thrilled with "Singin' Cowboy".
I don't know why everyone puts "Four Sail" down- 4 great songs are 4 better than the crap you hear today...
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  19:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one of my great concert moments was always see your face at newcastle opera house with the strings and horns. so brilliant i got out the album and was surprised to find there was no trumpet on it.

I've put it on the imovie i'm making of Tina's blog - sort of because we've always seen each others' and arthur's face - always knew we'd meet again.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  20:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completely agree, youngish. That song packs a serious emotional wallop.
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  05:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree about Always See Your Face as well. Such an incredible song.

I've always thought Four Sail was extremely underrated. It's probably my second favorite Love record.
Go to Top of Page

Phil Brauer
Third Love

90 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Always See Your Face" is a beautiful song. Unfortunately the original recording of it on Four Sail really sucks...not the song itself, but the recording, production quality of it. Just listen to how the vocals are pumped way too high, and the horn parts you can barely hear. The live recording of it on the DVD is just awesome, with the guy playing the trombone...that one does it justice.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  15:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmittelstadt

I've always thought Four Sail was extremely underrated. It's probably my second favorite Love record.

Here here! It is definitely seriously underrated. For me it pretty much shares 2nd place with da Capo--"s/t" being not far behind. I love the tone & phrasing of Donnelan's lead guitar throughout, and most of the songs are really great. 'Always see your face' as you say, and also Robert Montgomery (--that one'll turn you upside and shake you), August, and Dream ("...you know what I mean---ooohhh-oohh")! I didn't care much for Singing Cowboy at first, but I found out years later that I secretly loved it.
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  03:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Astrolobe33,

Our taste in Love's music sounds the same. Forever Changes is my fave, while Four Sail and Da Capo come in tied for second.

Robert Montgomery is a great "heavy" Love song. August, I'm With You,Dream, Singing Cowboy and Nothing are my other favorites on that album(outside of Always see your face and Robert Montgomery).

I too really like Jay's guitar, but George Suranovich's loose drumming is what I like the best.
Take care,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  18:47:10  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure those are french horns on the studio version - it's tough to tell because it's recorded so poorly - was'nt it in someone's garage or something? If that recording had the same care and detail as FC, I would listen to it more often. The trombone player on the dvd is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  04:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the things I like best about Love is how different they can sound. They sound great rockin out on a song like 7 & 7 is. They pull off an excellent instro with Emotions. They sound great, polished with horns on Forever Changes. I like the loose/ hard rockin feel on Four Sail, and the production doesnt bother me.
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  19:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've gotta admire the psychopathology of "Your Friend and Mine".
It's got the chords and melody of a happy 1920s pop tune, and the lyrics are talking about a friend who's "passed away, maybe it's better that way"!
"Good Time" is the closest AL ever got to jazz (other than "Revelations)and Donnelan and Suranovich swing and rock in the same tune!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2005 :  00:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that the one about the "murdered" roadie, Neil Rapporport ?
Now that's a good one.

Free the truth !

quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

You've gotta admire the psychopathology of "Your Friend and Mine".
It's got the chords and melody of a happy 1920s pop tune, and the lyrics are talking about a friend who's "passed away, maybe it's better that way"!
"Good Time" is the closest AL ever got to jazz (other than "Revelations)and Donnelan and Suranovich swing and rock in the same tune!

Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2005 :  09:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael Stuart's book talks about how Neil Rappaport used to walk around with a needle in his arm, rigged so that it dispensed the heroin slowly over a long period. I guess the band was briefly questioned after he overdosed. The sad part was reading about how his beloved dog howled all night after they took his body away....

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2005 :  16:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

IMHO that side of "Four Sail" sucks.
They're out of tune and the songs are lousy.
But the other side, "August, I Am With You, Good Time, Your friend and Mine" are great! But I was never that thrilled with "Singin' Cowboy".
I don't know why everyone puts "Four Sail" down- 4 great songs are 4 better than the crap you hear today...

HEY, SOMETIMES,
Do yourself a favor and listen to the song "Nothing". Ferment in your brain.
Just keep listening to it, you will fall in LoVe with it.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2005 :  17:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JFP,
Where would I find Nothing?
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA