Jay Donnellan and Newport 1969
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  09:38:37  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just found a story Jay Donnellan once wrote to me about the gig at the Newport Pop festival 1969!I thought I lost it, but found it again!
So check out the story from Jay.This will be the only one he wrote.He wrote this just before he went on his boat trip which is still going on.

Also Jay mentions a Boot tape, so this must be out there somewhere, if anybody has it.....There are no LIVE performances from before 1970 so it would be a great find!!

http://www.thefreedomman.com/JD/Jaynewport.htm

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Ed

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 11/10/2005 09:41:49

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  16:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed

That's a great story. The magical 60's. Thanks for the link

Allan
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  04:19:32  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
great story! i was at the festival, but missed LOVE. it was wild and freaky. i remember only Eric Burdon, C.C.R. ...and ...duh...and arriving there, through a broken fence with "Ranger", and " "Kitten"( "who wrote songs for the 13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS").Ranger was really cool, big, old, funny bearded hipster from san fransisco, and Kitten, his lady , a fat hippy chick with a beautiful face, and a warm and loving way. i later hitchhiked up to Altamont for THAT festival and hung out with them at their pad in the Haight/Ashbury area, and the event. i enjoyed the Flying Burrito Brothers( Gram Parsons!!!)
Go to Top of Page

stefaan
Second Love

Belgium
45 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  16:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! The story and the replies just are making a jealous 46 years old man out of me. Being/playing at Newport, watchin' The FBB WITH the Late Great Gram Parsons!! I'll have to do it with the forthcoming DVD "Fallen Angel" ( saw it on the BBC, a real must have!!)

Why was I only 10 years old then, and living in Boring Belgium. What have I done to deserve this? Only my mother knows I guess ;-(

Anyway, I've been able to watch Love with AL in 2002(Utrecht, Holland) and in January 2003 (15th, London, Royal FH)

Edited by - stefaan on 12/10/2005 16:46:15
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  18:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

... with "Ranger", and " "Kitten"( "who wrote songs for the 13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS").Ranger was really cool, big, old, funny bearded hipster from san fransisco, and Kitten, his lady , a fat hippy chick with a beautiful face, and a warm and loving way. i later hitchhiked up to Altamont for THAT festival and hung out with them at their pad in the Haight/Ashbury area, and the event...

First, thanks FM, that is a great story.
Bob F., my ears always perk when someone mentions the 'vators... I'd like to hear more about the connection with your friends and the group. The only person outside the band that I was aware of to write songs for them is Powell St. John (who has a soon to be released all new CD forthcoming--I hear it's pretty fantastic), aside from a rare cover tune here or there. Did you ever see the Elevators live? I know they stayed in San Francisco for a couple of extended periods circa '66-67, but all returned to Texas with the exception of Powell, Tommy Hall (lyricist/jug-warbler) and his wife Clementine. Is Kitten the same person as Clementine Hall? I've never heard of her being called that... Love to hear anything more about that.
Jon

p.s. You did Altamont!!?! --you guys are killin' me!
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2005 :  05:17:18  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
astro... Kitten was her name. she told me she wrote for the elevators. knowing her, i know she told the truth. never saw them play. i'm kicking myself a little for missing LOVE at Devonshire Downs. but i always feel better when i remember seeing the Flying Burrito Brothers AND the Country Joe and the Fish AT A love inn in Elesian Park, L.A. in '67. or that concert at the Valley Music Theater in the San Fernando Valley in '66 with the BYRDS, and the Buffalo Springfield! or that CONCERT AT bIRMINGHAM HIGH wityh the DOORS and Jefferson Airplane! "66. or that LOVE concert '66 at the Hulluballoo, Hollywood!
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2005 :  08:49:20  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK STOP IT BOB, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH YER HURTING ME!!! LOL

By the way,The Doors played in the Birmingham Stadium on May 20 1967 instead of 1966.Guess you didn't record it.........?

Cheers,
Ed

http://www.thefreedomman.com/love/mikepage2.html
PRESS THE LINK!
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2005 :  23:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of tapes from ~1970....Owsley (yes, THAT Owsley!) recorded Love at Fillmore East when they played with the Dead and Allman Bros. in Feb 1970. he expressed interest in getting it released, and I tried to connect him up w/Arthur's management at the time...but no reply from them.

I've mentioned it to a few people over the years (the BL guys, Glenn Povey, Gene Kraut) but nothing has ever come of it, unfortunately. I'd Love to hear it!
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2005 :  23:54:20  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the Grateful Dead recording where Arthur sits in on percusion.It was recorded in Feb.11 1970.Wish we had the LOVE set also, they played a few days later, right?

PRESS THE LINK!
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2005 :  00:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that Arthur ever sat in on percussion with the Dead - interesting. What song(s) did he play on?

I believe Love played on Feb 13 and 14. I have the Dead shows from those nights (Dick's Picks #4) - VERY nicely recorded. It would be very cool if the Love shows eventually came out.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2005 :  04:55:26  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Freedom Man.. things are hazy shade of winter for me , so thanx for the correction: "1967"! it's like another century ago! it's amazing i remember what i DO!.....' Didn't mean to hurt you....oh, just one more thing....i enjoyed The Beatles in '66 at Dodger Stadium. but too much screaming! .............my throat still hurt when i got back to school!
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2005 :  07:55:33  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok that's it Bob, yer out!

No not really, wish I had those memories........

ruxprncd:
Grateful Dead At The Fillmore East. Feb 11 1970. Arthur Lee on percussion!!!

1 > Dark Star
2 > Spanish Jam
3 > Lovelight
4 > Uncle John's Band

Segment from set 2 that has Peter Green and Duane Allman sitting in on guitar.Berry Oakley joins in on 2nd bass, Gregg Allman adds some vocals & organ.
Arthur Lee provides various percussion through out the set, and Danny Kirwant & Mick Fleetwood also join the Jam at some point.
LOVE was opening set, The Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead.

Best,
Ed

PRESS THE LINK!

Edited by - The Freedom Man on 14/10/2005 08:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2005 :  13:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a line up eh!?