New Songs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2005 :  11:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here's a thought, prompted by comments that AL hadn't written anything good since 1992

in the past Arthur's music moved on, definite progression through the first 3 albums, and on to four sail and vindicator and so on. Is it that surprising that writing new material that conforms to expectations based on the first 3 albums has proved a challenge? Seems to me that the contributions from others were very necessary.

The glimmer that this brings on is... maybe AL's songwriting head has moved on, maybe he did write those songs in prison but they didn't seem to fit, maybe the plan was to get the audience back with the FC shows then introduce different stuff.. OK I'm rambling.

So the question is...
if they exist, what will they sound like?

Keep on shining

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2005 :  21:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now we are talking!!!I have always liked AL songs...maybe not the way they were done but the songs themselves. I must say I am more interestedd in hearing new songs from AL than I am in hearing new songs from Baby lemonade with or without JE, Both\ may prove good but I am simply saying where my interests lie. I have a strong feeling tghat deep dpwn most would agree. After all it's not the guitar solos that kept us singing the songs for lo these many years, is it?

Come on BL and AL let's hear something new!!!
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  15:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wendy, on that point I've got to disagree! BL are tremendously talented songwriters - and in addition to hoping for more BL recordings, I'm VERY interested in hearing their collaborations w/JE, particularly the Gethsemane material.

Arthur still has the magic when it comes to performances - when his head is reasonably straight - but it took a major effort by others to coax a song as 'good' as rainbow in the storm out of him.
Go to Top of Page

Saucy Jack
Second Love

26 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  16:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you like "My Anthem", Wendy From When?
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  16:45:46  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anthem! the song that never existed! I remember being at the Royal Festival Hall and the guy with the bagpipes coming on the stage! can't see it anywhere on the dvd though!

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  19:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Tremendously talented songwriters"....tremendously talented??? Please tell me wgere I can hear evidence of these tremendous songs. In my view great songwrioting requires first and foremost a unique POV on the world. having heard BL as BL I can not go along with your assessment. Not that they were not good, they were but "tremendously talented songwriters" they were not. Please notice my use of the past tense. I am eager to hear what they come up with as well, I'm sure there will be welcome surprises. but lets not get carried away in our gushing fandom.
By the way all great songwriters in band feed off of the other members for insiration and almost all band members at some point swear they were responsible for this or that song/riff/lyric. Par for the course.
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2005 :  15:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wendy, you are absolutely right...

after all, how could they be tremendously talented if you don't think so, right? anybody who disagrees with you must be suffering from gushing fandom, the poor saps!

it's funny, but I didn't know that songwriters collaborate with their bands - wow! I for one look forward to more of your penetrating insights.

thanks for setting me straight on all of this!
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  07:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just point to the evidence of "tremendous songs" and be done with your biting and witty repast.
Where are these tremendous songs of which you speak.
They most certainly play Love songs well ....No question
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  22:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two points:

1) There are *many* terrific psych power-pop songs in BL's catalogue. I don't think that one has to be enigmatically unique, a la AL circa '66-'72, to be considered an excellent songwriter.

2) NEENER! :)
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  23:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are so many older groups out there making money off their hits. Earth, Wind & Fire, Chicago, The Doobie Brothers, The Temptations, WAR, The Four Tops, Morris Day and The Time, etc., etc. The truth is that the audience comes to these gigs to hear the old hits. Alot of these groups have only one original member, and still the fans keep coming.

I don't know of any 'new' songs that became hits from any older groups...not even The Eagles. It's all about the established hits. I'm sure they'd all like to stop playing the same old songs they've played for over 30 years, but it's seems to be almost impossible for any success with newer songs. I hope The Love Band can beat the odds with newer material, and until then I will continue to enjoy their legacy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page