Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

veryoldman
First Love

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  16:02:10  Show Profile
Bear with me on this one while I ramble on a bit about something that is obviously dear to us all and that we all have views on.

I first saw Love in the late 60's/early 70's in Birmingham (the English one). Always followed them and loved the music with the early stuff the best, IMHO. Great times when AL became a free man again and sent us into raptures with tour after tour - and some brilliant performances by him and the band (who right from the outset I thought were very special and provided more than just great backing to AL).

Then......went up to Sheffield to see Love. When AL stumbled on stage I didn't recognise him at first. Words wrong, couldn't reach notes, generally not good from AL. I watched the band as AL performed that night and saw them 'keeping and eye' on AL and smiling in an "oh well" sort of way that didn't bode well for the future. At this point I should state that I thought that AL was all important to Love and couldn't foresee a time when Love would be minus AL. I still think he is a great showman and has such charisma on stage (on a good day!). I put it down to a bad day at the office for AL and maybe overstretching himself with all the touring.

Then of course came the news that AL would not be participating in further tours, including one that I had tickets for at Milton Keynes in July. Went along to the gig with mixed feelings about how I was feeling and how I would react to Love minus AL. The Love Band that night gave perfect renditions of all the classics (and more)and seemed to my eyes to be enjoying the music more than I had seen them before. Great singing from Rusty, brilliant guitars, JE more to the fore and seeming relaxed, a really tight, enjoyable night of Love music played by a band who, I feel, have every right to call themselves Love.

Yes, AL came back and would seem to have now blown it. The band that supported AL (and put up with him?) are now playing with a different vocalist, simple as that. All Love fans should be grateful that the Love Band are continuing because thats all we have now. The Love band play the music of Love with love (did you follow that?). Long may they prosper, enjoy the music they play and give us what we want - the music of Love.

Finally, I sincerely hope that AL can free himself of his demons. Who knows - we may see him back again??!

Regards,
veryoldman

veryoldman

Judith
Third Love

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  16:32:38  Show Profile
"The band that supported AL (and put up with him?) are now playing with a different vocalist, simple as that. All Love fans should be grateful that the Love Band are continuing because thats all we have now. The Love band play the music of Love with love (did you follow that?). Long may they prosper, enjoy the music they play and give us what we want - the music of Love".

Agree with you here Veryoldman. I happen to love the play "Under Milk Wood", written by Dylan Thomas. I especially love this play read by Richard Burton who had the most incredible voice. However, since he is no longer with us to read it-have heard it read by Anthony Hopkins and other Welshmen and it is still brilliant. PERHAPS THE CONTENT MATTERS equally as much as the voice. And isn't it good that we can still enjoy music, plays etc from the past, that's what art is about isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong and shouldn't be listening to Vivaldi etc!!

There is no doubt, for me AL has a superb voice and is charismatic and I'm sure Rusty is aware of this and I don't think Rusty is trying to mimic him in anyway at all, as has been suggested recently. He too sings Love songs so well and has his own style to bring. Having seen the band with and without AL, I would prefer to see them with AL but I also enjoyed them without his presence. And yes, long may they prosper and give us the songs we all enjoy so much.

Judith Anne
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  19:12:13  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage
Agree with you both 100%, very well put
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2005 :  03:11:50  Show Profile
It must be accepted that, with the passage of time, the number of bands covering the music of those that have passed on or who become incapable of performing will increase. Either that, or what is now regarded as great music will sink slowly into oblivion. It is happening already, but this process is going largely unnoticed. 'Cover' bands, when they first arrived on the scene, were derided by many, and in some cases with justification. These days, though, with a more professional approach now allied to a for the most part genuine love and respect for the original music and performers - where it is due - such bands are a different proposition. They are keeping more elderly rock music alive. Of course, as always, whether a particular band or artists material merits this is a mstter of individual 'taste', but, if centuries-old classical music is kept vibrant by fresh performance and recordings, why shouldn't rock? Not to agree is an implicit statement that rock is a somehow inferior, lesser music than what has gone before. I would contend that this is not the case. All musical genres will inevitably continue to produce their fair share of turkeys as well as gems, but I'm confident that much of what merits it will still be performed by other artists one hundred years hence - all things being willing.
I do not regard the Love Band as being a covers band as an original member remains with them, and, in addition, they are in the process of creating new material, which will be judged on its merits in due course. While I have never heard any of Baby Lemonade's work, I am nonetheless aware of the origin of their name, and await with interest an amalgam of quirky intelligent 'pop' and what Mr.Echols brings to the table. Good luck to them. As for 'The Other Fella', well, if he defies the majority prognosis and experiences a resurgence in his abilities to reproduce material live and even a reignition of his long-dormant creative juices, then fine. However, I will not be there see it. Not now. My choice. If it's my loss so be it.
If in due course Johnny leaves his young(er) friends and they concentrate on reproducing the material that we know and love I know that they will continue to do so to the very best of their ability. Who knows, one day another band may come along doing the same thing even better when such bands are more socio-musically acceptable. It's a jungle out there. The music though is fit to survive, and deserves to.

P.S. I hope that John Leckie proves affordable. I have been a fan of his for 35 years now. He has a way with acoustic guitar recording - HINT. Check out Roy Harper's 'Stormcock' from 1970 - featuring Jimmy Page - and Baaba Maal's 'Missing You' Magical, both.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2005 :  04:28:35  Show Profile
Well put that man !!
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2005 :  17:06:51  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage
"Having seen the band with and without AL, I would prefer to see them with AL but I also enjoyed them without his presence. And yes, long may they prosper and give us the songs we all enjoy so much."

Well put Judith. If Art can get it together and climb off his high horse and treat the band, with Johnny, as equals - some hope - then it would be great to see them play together. We all know it's not about to happen in the next few months but who knows, stranger things have happened, especially with Art.

cheers Chris

www.BryanMacLean.com www.ZENuk.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page