New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flec032
First Love

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  16:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone out there! Having discovered Forever Changes only 3 months ago and after becoming completely obssessed with it, i've realised I have to let my feelings known to people who understand what i'm banging on about and what I have discovered. Being a 20 year-old lad living in Manchester, England, trying to preach to my mates about my obsession with a (nearly) 40 year-old album is very dificult and most of them don't understand what all the fuss is about, even though i've made them all a copy of the album, which have all probably gone unplayed. I just need to tell people about it that understand, and I would also like some advice, from love/arthur lee veterans about further listening following forever changes.

Thanks.

Mosquito
Second Love

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  18:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Flec
I'm a relative newcomer here too (other end of the country to you, based in Cornwall) but have loved Love for a long time, about 20yrs I guess. They are a band to grow old with, not a fashionable band to grow out of.

If you love Foreover Changes, my advice would be to buy Da Capo next. The music on Da Capo evolved into what you hear on FC, and in my opinion is cloest to it musically. The arrangements are simpler perhaps, no strings, but the album features some beautiful songs. Side 1 comprises 6 songs all of which are classics, right up there with FC. Beware of side 2 - a 30 minute 'jam' entitled Revelation. I love it, others don't. Even if you don't love it, I'd say the first 6 songs are so good, they make the album on their own. The first album is also brilliant, and equally recommended but has more of a punk/garage feel to it in part.

If you go for the next album after FC, Four Sail, it has a harder, heavier edge and different instrumentation. Different musicians in fact, apart from Mr Lee. No strings, keys, flute etc. Ditto later albums in this era.

No doubt you'll buy 'em in time!

pete
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  19:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flec,

I understand where you are coming from. I truly became infatuated with Love after seeing them in 2002. Best show I may have ever seen.

Anyway, in in order here is what I recommed.

1) Forever Changes (definitely check out the live version too. Arthur's voice is in some ways richer and fuller 35 years later)
2) Da Capo
3) Four Sail
4) Love (the first album)

Be aware that many people consider the first album to be better than Four Sail. But honestly, I play Four Sail more. The debut album is good, stripped down garagey material. Very good first album. But Four Sail came right after Forever Changes when Arthur was still at the top of his game. Four Sail has tremendous musicianship, especially the drums and guitar. It has elements of jazz and an ethnic flavor, too.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2005 :  16:10:41  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have only heard the 3 first albums, and this is my "toplist":

1. Forever Changes
2. Da Capo
3. Love

None of my friends like Love either :P
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2005 :  16:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apart from the first four albums, I would recommend buying "The Forever Changes Concert" DVD . You can currently get it brand new for £4.63 on amazon.co.uk All the best, John E
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2005 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John E

Apart from the first four albums, I would recommend buying "The Forever Changes Concert" DVD . You can currently get it brand new for £4.63 on amazon.co.uk All the best, John E

Yes, you are right there John and, if you don't want to pay the postage, I've seen if for £5.00 in Fopp (if you are UK based and have one nearby)
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2005 :  21:33:48  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I first bought Forever Changes, and two months later I ordered Da Capo, Love and Forever Changes DVD! Im not dissapointed!
Also if you dont want to pay postage you can buy it on play.com for £7.99! (buy the cheapest one, thats the one with bonus tracks etc.)
Go to Top of Page

flec032
First Love

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2005 :  22:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Mosquito
Second Love

United Kingdom
47 Posts