Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2020 :  19:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm am opening up this thread for author William Spevack...introducing a new and upcoming book on Love. William will join us soon..he had trouble signing up, but will be here shortly! -LK

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share some news about a book I'm writing and self-publishing with Amazon on the band. 'Keep On Shining: A Guide Through The Music Of Love & Arthur Lee' will be released this Autumn. My fandom got the best of me and I had a lot of downtime this year, so I decided to write something on Love. I was very lucky to have help and encouragement from fellow forum members lemonade kid, Dukie, and The Freedom Man, omikron and from Love drummer Michael Stuart-Ware, who was kind enough to answer a lot of questions.

The book perspective will be telling the story from inside the music out since most of the time, the music reflects Love's history. They'll be summaries on every song from Love, Arthur Lee solo, and Bryan MacLean solo amongst other side efforts. All the live and compilation releases are covered and since there hasn't been a book on Love & Arthur Lee since 2011, and the 2010s saw a lot of new Love releases, those are detailed in this as well.

I was able to research a lot of old and rare Love articles to flesh out the rest of the story outside the music since it's a unique tale and I wanted all the Love members to have a voice in this, so I researched a number of quotes about the songs and important moments in their history.

I know there are a few Love fans on the forum , so I thought I'd do this thread to provide updates as the book is being completed for anyone that happened to be interested and thanks to Torben for letting me give this heads up.

Cheers,
William Spevack

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/08/2020 13:18:37

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2020 :  19:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From William:

The book will have a lot of information that the few Love books that came out didn't really dive into and I'll go through those books and how this one differs. It should appeal to a casual Love fan because of their unique story and for the hardcore fan, the music summaries and analysis get a lot more time so it's not just stuff you can find in the other books. Now that we have all the lost material, it changes the overall quality of the catalog and that's something that hasn't been covered before. 'Love Lost', 'Black Beauty', the live 1970s-2000s recordings, the unreleased songs/bonus tracks, the early pre-Love tracks, the Forever Changes box, the Electric Company expensive version that just came out- all that adds and changes their legacy.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 21/08/2020 20:10:11
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2020 :  20:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/09/2020 20:05:54
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2020 :  20:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/09/2020 20:06:53
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2020 :  13:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. Can't wait to read all the tidbits you've uncovered, William...anything new concerning LoVE will be a treat indeed! -LK

This from William on his recent interview with rather unknown (to many including myself!) Love drummer, Justin Polimeni (in the Love band from 1992-1993):

Oh yeah for sure, Justin Polimeni was great and it was fun to converse about Love for so long. Polimeni hasn't been noted in Love lore much at all and he played with the group in 1992 and 1993 right before Baby Lemonade became Lee's band. It's another strange detour in the Love saga. I mean this is really one of the weirdest histories for a music group I've heard of. He played for two years with Love but kept not getting credit. He's not credited on Love's final album in 1992 because the one song he played on was recorded and included at the last minute and they printed everything already. Then on reprints he's not credited either. He may also be on the live boxset 'Coming Through To You' as well but isnt' credited.

He had a pretty cool entrance into Love. He had known of the band when he and his girlfriend went to a secondhand store and got Da Capo for a $1. He was into more aggressive music and got into "7 & 7 Is". He said it took a couple of weeks to get into the rest of the album but he eventually got to like the whole first side. He didn't mention "Revelation". From there he got all the albums and learned how to play drums along with some of the tunes as a teen.

This was around 1990 and in late 1991, he went to see Love play - the lineup included Melvan Whittington and Robert Rozelle who both played on Black Beauty and Reel-To-Real were in the band and Lee was using a bunch of different drummers at the time. I heard a story once that he hired someone off the street once in the 1980s and taught them some songs in an hour before one live show. Anyway, so when Justin saw Love playing the tiny venue At My Place, the drummer looked bored and was leaning against a wall behind him as he played drums. He wasn't putting much effort in and Justin thought the other 3 were great but this drummer wasn't.

So after the show, Justin goes to the bathroom and Arthur is in there. Justin mentioned he was a confident kid and didn't mind approaching someone he admired like Lee. So Justin introduces himself and Arthur says 'hey'. Then Justin says, "Hey I love your music and the bassist and guitarist are great but the drummer sucks." See, at this point, if it was me in the bathroom, I'd be awkward to speak with him while he's doing his business or after or whatever but everybody's different. Justin told him he was a drummer.

Lee stared at him for a full minute in silence. Lee could be very intimidating at times and he liked to throw people for a loop and give them what they'd least expect. It's hard to approach him because he was physically imposing and after meeting him, you never know what he'll say or do next. After the dramatic pause of looking Justin over, Arthur says "give me your phone number and maybe I'll use you if I need you". Justin was only 18 years old at the time.

Justin said it seemed like Arthur was just being polite and figured he'd never call but six months later Arthur called Justin personally and told him he could try out. Sometime later, Arthur told Justin that the reason he invited him to try out with the band was because Justin exuded confidence on that first meeting. Arthur likened Justin to himself when he drove to Capitol Records as a teen and secured a record deal that his parents had to sign since he was underage.
---
Justin shared a lot more stories I'll get into here and it was a blast speaking with him.

---

Cheers.
William S.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/08/2020 13:58:30
Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2020 :  00:29:29  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey fellow Love fans, this is my first post on a website I've followed for almost 20 years. I always wanted to join but I didn't really get into posting on forums until recently. I should have signed on here a long time ago. I wanted to get into how I started writing the book. Some of the writing started back in 2016 when I signed up for the Hoffman music forum.

I had originally done the Love album-by-album thread there in 2016 and I was kind of normal on the surface but I hinted that I was getting a little fanatical when I mentioned I had put together my own box set for Forever Changes by using a vinyl, the 2-CD 2008 set, stickers, fridge magnets, album cover pins, a T-shirt folded, my Love boxer briefs... whoops! (okay I made that one up), any Love trinkets I could find on Ebay for a few bucks. Then I bought a white box and put it in and used a poster as a cover. By then I knew my mind and I didn't belong together. I finished up the thread later in 2016 but was still looking at EBay. After scanning EBay non-stop that year, of all people I bumped into David P. Housden, the creator of the Castle fanzine. He had listed a set of 10 old Castle fanzines from the 1990s. I thought it was a good deal and I went for it since I'd never seen them on EBay before.

I got them and David sent me an e-mail saying he had another 10 if I'd like them. I said 'sure go for it.' So I got 20 in total. I remember opening up one of the two boxes of 10 and there was a bunch from the 2000s that had a lot of info about Lee's comeback and all the live shows he did from 2002-2005. I read through and thought it was great and learned but by the end of going through them, I was exhausted with Love. I overdid it and I finally decided to take a breather.

Moving on to 2020, all this craziness happened with the world and I had some downtime. So I figured if I did some project, it would take my mind off all the troubles around. Then Dukie came on to the 4 year old thread and mentioned that some of the photos I used were taken by him. That's when I started toying with the idea of doing a Love book because if he was willing to let me use a photo for cover, I'd might do it. When I asked, he was very kind like and agreed to.

The final thing that pushed me over the edge and committed was when I realized - it took four years to realize - 'Hey wait a minute! I had TWO Castle fanzine boxes. Doh! They were in storage so I go and get the unopened second box. I opened it and it was like I dove down to the bottom of the sea and pulled up a treasure chest and sat on the beach looking at gold. It had so much research and all kinds of things I'd never seen on the internet nor the Love books that had already came out. That's what made me go for this. The Castle's came from the 1990s and they had a lot more difficult info to find then the 2000s fanzines. So I was inspired and added my own research and from spring to now I wrote 400 pages (okay not really, I had a bunch of the writing done already but it sounded better that way he he) that I've since started editing down some. I owe a lot of thanks to David P. Housden.

Maybe my mind and I are still not together but I kept on rolling and now it's almost done and I might as well finish it.

So that's my VH1 Behind the Book episode LOL- when the real Forever Changes box came out, I finally disassembled my custom box.

Keep On Shining: A Guide Through The Music Of Love & Arthur Lee
Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2020 :  00:31:08  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, I wanted to thank Lemonade Kid - he has designed the book and has helped me in many ways including helping me sign up here - and thank you Torben - you're always an inspiration. Lemonade Kid - you are a hardcore Love fan, I thought I was and then I saw you in action and you are the ultimate fan along with Torben. You guys really make me realize I'm doing the right thing writing this.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2020 :  13:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WilliamWes

Also, I wanted to thank Lemonade Kid - he has designed the book and has helped me in many ways including helping me sign up here - and thank you Torben - you're always an inspiration. Lemonade Kid - you are a hardcore Love fan, I thought I was and then I saw you in action and you are the ultimate fan along with Torben. You guys really make me realize I'm doing the right thing writing this.

Cheers, William!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2020 :  13:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frontispiece...

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/08/2020 13:13:07
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2020 :  13:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opposite page, frontispiece

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/08/2020 13:50:43
Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  19:31:16  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Love fans, wanted to give an update. The book is being edited currently and I'm just doing all the little technical things to get a book finished. Today I wanted to post an excerpt from an old article from the Hit Parader that had some profiles on each member of the band around the time of 'Da Capo'. This was one of the ways original fans learned of each member.

'Arthur Lee: Lead vocalist and group leader. Twenty-one years old, born in Memphis Tennessee; came to Los Angeles at 6, plays drums, piano, accordion, harmonica, organ, guitar. Has written words and music all his awake life; led a recording group at 17, and has never formally studied music and never would:

Lee: "I don't want to be brainwashed, don't want to limit myself to any one instrument or style. I like Coltrane because he plays free music."

Arthur, dressed boldly and bizarrely, gregarious and glib, humorous and quick. Arthur relies on his impulses and writes and plays from immediate emotional whim. Ask him to explain what he's doing or to paraphrase a lyric he's written and he'll just typically shrug. Never to be labelled-no matter with what amount of praise.'
--
'Johnny Echols: Lead guitarist. Like Arthur: 21, born in Memphis, raised in L.A., music always. But, studied at the L.A. Conservatory of Music and at East L.A. City College. At one time, Ornette Coleman lived next door to Johnny; the jazz guru brought about a musical revolution in his disciple and Johnny went into jazz. Johnny is a serious musician, a deeply reflective person. His major influences include Charlie Parker, Monk and Coltrane, all musicians who have gone digging into the microcosm of music with intelligence and taste.'

'Bryan MacLean: Rhythm guitarist and vocalist. 19 years old, born and raised in L.A., no musical education but much practical learning. Has played guitar only 1 1/2 years, mostly folk blues. He is a graphic artist of astute discipline and sensitivity, a fact at odds with his brusque personality. Bryan combines the innocence of a Blake with the intellect of a Mozart. He has lived little, but knows much. He is mostly silent and speaks only in staccato phrases which are worth listening to.'

'Kenneth Forssi: 23 years old, has played electric bass for 2 1/2 years. Born in Cleveland, lived there and in Florida before coming to L.A. Has no musical schooling, but studied art before turning to the world of sound. Kenny is quiet in the same way as Johnny, the silence of contemplation. Although neither is as open as Arthur, all share a charming affability and ease. Kenny is very much like the kid next door, except for his unerring sophisticated taste and style. Kenny is powered by a restlessness, a continual quest for excellence in all things. He dresses with care and precision, lives among elegant objects and carefully considers the quality of what he does. He is a deliberate person, reaching towards classic simplicity.'

'Alban "Snoopy" Pfisterer: "Snoopy" was born in Switzerland, the son of an architect in the Foreign Service; he is 19 years old. 'Snoopy's background takes in Maryland, Costa Rica, Washington, Central America; he was a student of classical music for most of his life before leaving it for the drums at 17. "Snoopy" is the least verbal of the group. Like Bryan and Johnny, an intellectual who has turned thoughts into direct action.'

'Michael Stuart: Michael is the new drummer, but his musical background includes trumpet, clarinet and piano. He attended college in Los Angeles for three years, then went on the road with a group. Somewhere along the line he met Love and started getting into their "frame of thought of music, they were going from straight rock to a free expression style, more real. There's more emotion involved in what I'm doing now. We're improvising a lot too, but we still do songs from the first album (including their initial hit "My Little Red Book"); new songs like 'Revelation' (a 20-minute album cut that is, album side) and 'Smokestack' have a lot more improvisation than there used to be."

Tjay Contrelli, the other new Love, was acquainted with Johnny from their jazz group days. He plays several wind instruments, from flute to tenor sax to soprano sax and back again. He amplifies his instruments using a tiny pick-up, or microphone, which leads to an amplifier which allows the soft wind sounds to be heard with the guitars, drums and harpsichord.

'Contrelli' is spelled this way also when Tjay was a member of Geronimo Black.

Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  14:29:52  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love trivia anyone? If there's anything unanswered, I'll answer tomorrow.

I have 3 questions:
How many Arthur Lee songs have 'love' in their title? What songs are they?

What do Love’s “The Daily Planet” and The Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” have in common?

What Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Famer was rumored to have joined Arthur Lee on stage in the 1970s?

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9837 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have 3 questions:

What do Love’s “The Daily Planet” and The Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” have in common?

What Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Famer was rumored to have joined Arthur Lee on stage in the 1970s?

ok...I give up!

Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  16:36:08  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

I have 3 questions:

ok...I give up!

Well that's okay, don't be too hard on yourself- I'll pray for you even if you don't have faith in yourself. Remember to keep on shining...time is like a river, the answer will flow to you eventually! There's still plenty of time today for anyone to come up with the answer(s), before I give the answers tomorrow. I'm sure somebody knows.

Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  00:59:39  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some hints:

1. There are 5 released Lee songs with Love in the title - can anyone name them?
2. The Love song and The Beatles song have something they share when it comes to lyrics and vocals.
3. The RRHOFer is female.

Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  01:59:24  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many Arthur Lee songs have 'love' in their title?

5; “Love Is More Than Words Or Better Late Than Never” (Out Here), “Love Is Coming”(False Start), “Love Jumped Through My Window” (Vindicator), “Love Saga” (Arthur Lee & Love), “Love Me” (Love On Earth Must Be EP). An unreleased - “Love On Earth Must Be” and rumored unreleased – “Love Is Like A Bowling Ball”.

2. What’s the connection between Love’s “The Daily Planet” and The Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” have in common?

The rare distinction of having backing vocals singing different body part names that don’t match the body part name sung by the lead vocalist.
“The Daily Planet” (“I can see you with no face/[hands]; eyes I need you, you’re my heart/([face]). “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” (Paul: “Desmond lets the children lend a hand/(John: arm)(George: leg”), then later (Paul: “Desmond lets the children lend a hand [George: foot]")

3. What Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Famer was rumored to have played with Arthur Lee in the 1970s?

-Patti Smith. In 1976, the Melody Maker made a quick blurb about Patti Smith. While in Smogville, Patti jammed with Arthur Lee at the Starwood and guested on Rodney Bingenhemier's KROQ radio show. It was only a rumor. Patti Smith was an Arthur Lee fan and both knew each other and met but they never played together live.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page