Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  16:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

Music is the balm in times like these. Been into old faves and discovering new artists too in this isolation.

Share your new discoveries.

Even if your secret faves are not new to you, why not share some that you may think we likely won't know, for us all to enjoy.

Cheers
LK

Marlon Williams

I discovered Marlon while searching for thoughts and reviews for Bob Carpenter's only release "Silent Passages", a lost gem that all should hear.

Marlon is an artist from New Zealand who has been performing for a decade and is quite talented. He opened for Springsteen in 2017 in Australia, I assume.

Marlon's cover of Silent Passage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whup1L3g6a4&feature=emb_logo

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 08/04/2020 16:51:59

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  16:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have't discovered Bob Carpenter's lost gem, here is a love letter from a fan:

Love Letter To A Record:
Marlon Williams On Bob Carpenter’s ‘Silent Passage’

Written by Marlon Williams on February 16, 2018

I first heard the title track of Bob Carpenter’s Silent Passage on Midlakes’ edition of the Late Night Tales compilation series. The first thing that struck me was the compromised quality of the master. It suffered from a bit of pitch bend and a fair amount of tape hiss. Instead of being put off by this at all, I was compelled. Much like a physical idiosyncrasy in a lover, this blemish became a medal of mysterious distinction.

Then that voice descended upon me; “Before the war I had no need for traveling/ indeed I do not know what made it too important to leave/ And after all this time I found that I’m avoiding thee/ for nothing more or less than fear of what I have to gain from staying in the clear”. Instantly, I knew this protagonist, whoever he was, had suffered, and my heart was given over to his story. I remember getting to the end of that song and the questions burning away within: What war? Who have you been avoiding? The respective answers to these questions are, crucially, “No war you’ve ever heard of” and “thee”.

I listened to the rest of the album. More tales of mysterious and terrible journeys, bound by the common thread of seafaring. I searched out the cover with something kin to lust; Gustav Dorés’ etch of a ship traveling towards an unknown horizon for ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner’. Of course. Carpenter’s protagonist in Silent Passage was a modern day Mariner. The religious imagery. The metaphor of the “ship of life” on a sea of faith. And yes, the ambiguous mystery of time and place. People have long conjectured over where the Ancient Mariner’s Rime takes place; The presence of icebergs and the albatross itself seem to place it in southern seas somewhere near Antarctica, but it’s all conjecture.

Similarly, there were lyrics across Silent Passage that, no matter how hard I listened, I couldn’t quite discern. In my hunger to know I searched the web. It seemed nobody could say for sure what the lyrics were and through my research I learned that Carpenter had passed away almost twenty years ago, thereby preserving that precious mystery.

This paradox of self-consistent ambiguity, so central to storytelling, is what makes Carpenter’s only record a true work of art in the highest sense. No other album had ever dragged me away to a world so vaguely half-detailed, so achingly dreamlike, and no album has quite done that since.

Bob Carpenter..Silent Passage...stunning (as is his whole album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8TMRjSpSoY&list=PL4AE4318DE8946819&index=2

Edited by - lemonade kid on 08/04/2020 17:05:12
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  17:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reina Del Cid
Social distancing live feed Sunday Mornings With Reina Del Cid
-great songset by a couple of talented ladies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6se7Mu-bk

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page