New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone got the LP "The Third Coming of Love," which apparently is a collection of alt/out-takes from '66-'68? What exactly is on it, how does it sound, and is it very rare?
Thanks, Jon

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  18:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have not got the album but here is what it says at

http://www.klangundkleid.ch/katalog/detail.asp?ID=3602&SID=3

which has a picture of the cover too.

LOVE
A collection of alternte mixes and studio rarities 66-68, all tracks recorded at Sunset Sound Records Hollywod CA, USA

Limited editon of 500

Titel: The Third Coming Of
Stil: Sixties Garage Kings and Loosers
Typ: LP
Preis: 38.- CHF
LOVE - The Third Coming Of

Songs:

SIDE ONE:
My Little Red Book
Hey Joe
7 & 7 Is
No. 14
You Set The Scene
Wonder People
Hummingbirds

SIDE TWO:
Alone Again Or
Signed D.C.
Just For You
Robert Montgomery
A House Is Not A Motel
Singning Cowboy

Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  22:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks mikeb. Now I wonder if this is some of the same material that is found on "The Last Wall of the Castle" and the extra tracks on the FC remaster (both of which I do have), or if these are any different. Anyone
J
Go to Top of Page

otiselevator
Third Love

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2005 :  00:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not 100% sure about this but I saw the LP for sale in Camden market a few months ago for around £20 and decided I had most of the tracks already...somewhere between the remasters of FC, Four Sail and Last Wall of the Castle....but I might be mistaken!
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  22:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we shall soon see! (barring the unforeseen)--I have recently procured a copy of the LP (and for a very lovely price) from a fine fellow somewhere in Wales. It should be happily winging its way across the Big Pond to me right about now.
I'll be sure to make a report on its contents here, soon after it spins on my turntable!
Jon
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2005 :  23:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've now given the LP a listen, and we were mostly correct in guessing its contents. The early demo of Signed D.C. and the alternate mix of A House Is Not A Motel appear to be the same as what are on Last Wall of the Castle. Ditto for the alt-mixes of You Set The Scene, and Alone Again Or, as well as the demo Hummingbirds and the outtake Wonder People. These last four are apparently also identical to what is included in the bonus tracks of the remastered Forever Changes CD. As for Just For You (aka. Your Mind and We Belong Together)--the liner notes state that it is an "alternative double tracked vocal mix"--but as near as I can tell (and mind you, I'm no expert), it may as well be the same as what's on the two aforementioned collections.
The first four tracks on the LP, My Little Red Book, Hey Joe, 7 & 7 Is, and No. 14 are all excellent stronger-sounding mono-mix versions of the songs we all know. The sound on the whole thing is great, an improvement, except perhaps on the new F.C. CD stuff.
But then there's Robert Montgomery. The liner notes succinctly have it that it's an "alternate mix with a different vocal and added reverb." Well... I'm not sure, but I think it might a fully different take. The vocal, as they state, is not the one you hear on Four Sail, and the mix is extremely different, but the blazing guitar on it sounds different at points too. I think it's a different take. Anyway it sound fantastic. Lastly, there is "Arthur Lee's original and longer mix" of Singing Cowboy, which is not so very different from the LP version as is Robert M., but does carry on a good bit longer at the end than the album cut.
Overall pretty neat, but probably more for collectors/completists, or those who don't have Last Wall or the F.C. remaster. I guess it's actually a bootleg? I read somewhere that there were only 500 copies pressed--no idea. Mine has the wonderfully perplexing foible of displaying the A-side label on both faces...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page