Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  18:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don Conka and Skip Spence are featured:
Tragic life of the original Love drummer, (Immortalized in Signed DC)

Skip Spence: The Lost Years.

And of interest to Love fans, there is also an exploration of Love's first great drummer, Don Conca [sic]

http://webstore.ugly-things.com/ugly-things-53-p430.php

Skip Spence’s wilderness years are explored, along with the tragic life of original LOVE drummer Don Conka (immortalized in their song “Signed DC)...hmmmm, is Ugly Things misspelling Conka or am I?

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/03/2020 18:50:26

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  18:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From our own "signed RW" in recent exchange:

" Do you recall me telling you about Conka having sent a few "fan" letters to my girlfriend when he was a regular listener to her college radio show near where he was incarcerated here in SLO? And that he explained what he claimed was the real, true story behind some of the songs on the first Love album? For instance, contrary to all I'd ever heard (or read) "You I'll Be Following" was not "I went to..." but rather "Owe it to..." about the various band members and friends whom Arthur regularly bummed pot from.

Conka explained that the "shoe box behind the icebox" was absolutely true, as far as where the stash box was located. When I had him sign my first Love album, between Arthur's and Johnny's signatures at the Fonda Theatre in 2002, he said "No, man, I didn't play on this record." I replied that I'd seen him play nearly all of the songs live, and that, no offense to Snoop, it was obvious to me even then who the better drummer was. He smiled, said "Thanks," took the album, and signed it, "Signed DC."

If you by chance don't see Ugly Things magazine regularly, their web-site has a number of back issues available for between three to five, or at most, generally ten bucks each. The issue with the John Sebastian interview is pretty great, and more than worth the three dollars they want for it." [link to Ugly Things s in the opening post above]

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/03/2020 18:50:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page