New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2016 :  15:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to read the moving eulogy to Nick Talbot 3 posts down..."Turn The Hourglass Down".

Posted already but for those who are new to Nick Talbot (aka Gravenhurst)...English singer-songwriter, record producer, multi-instrumentalist and journalist Nicholas John Talbot (14 May 1977 Ð 2 December 2014). Talbot, from Bristol, England, signed to Warp Records. He died in late 2014, aged 37.

Share his music here...
Gravenhurst is described as dark and atmospheric, veering between the noisy shoegazing sound of guitar bands such as My Bloody Valentine, the harmony-laden singer-songwriter territory of Simon and Garfunkel, and the intricate fingerpicking guitar styles of Bert Jansch and Nick Drake. Earlier releases were grounded in acoustic and folk styles, while Fires in Distant Buildings made moves towards psychedelic rock. Flying Saucer Attack, a cult Bristol outfit who released a series of feedback-drenched, folk-inspired albums in the early 1990s, have been cited by Talbot as a major influence. -wiki

GRAVENHURST

Gravenhurst - In Miniature (taken from 'The Ghost In Daylight')
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVqg2gB6EA

"Got the name Gravenhurst from an album called Turnstyles amd Junkpiles by Pullman. Solo guitar track by guitar legend Dave Pajo (Papa M, Slint). Made me think of English gothic Gormenghast, Beauiful track, Needed a name, took it." -Nick Talbot

On Nick Talbot's Passing-

We are shocked and saddened to share the news that Nick Talbot aka Gravenhurst has passed away aged 37. An immensely talented singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and journalist, he will be hugely missed. Nick's family and friends request privacy at this difficult time.
Warp Records

I am utterly devastated to confirm that Nick Talbot, also known under the performing name Gravenhurst, has passed away aged 37. The finest, most extraordinary and inspirational songwriter, singer and performer, and a remarkable producer and journalist, Nick's work has deeply affected so many people all over the world. Outstandingly intelligent, compassionate, fascinating and witty, Nick was the dearest friend and his absence brings indescribable sorrow.
Michelle Hilborne, Manager

Gravenhurst[/size] was the musical pseudonym of the English singer-songwriter, record producer, multi-instrumentalist and journalist Nicholas John Talbot (14 May 1977 Ð 2 December 2014). Talbot, from Bristol, England, signed to Warp Records. He died in late 2014, aged 37.

While Talbot began performing solo, since 1999 additional musicians have helped expand Gravenhurst into a live band, with drummer Dave Collingwood also contributing performance and production work to several recordings. From 2004 to 2006 Gravenhurst performed as a trio with Huw Cooksley on bass guitar. On tour throughout 2007 and 2008, Robin Allender played bass, and Alex Wilkins played guitar. The release of The Ghost in Daylight in 2012 saw the formation of a new three-piece Gravenhurst Ensemble, featuring Rachel Lancaster on vocals, bass guitar and keyboards, and Claire Adams on vocals and percussion. Talbot also performs solo with a guitar and phrase-sampling, looping and droning devices.

Gravenhurst is described as dark and atmospheric, veering between the noisy shoegazing sound of guitar bands such as My Bloody Valentine, the harmony-laden singer-songwriter territory of Simon and Garfunkel, and the intricate fingerpicking guitar styles of Bert Jansch and Nick Drake. Earlier releases were grounded in acoustic and folk styles, while Fires in Distant Buildings made moves towards psychedelic rock. Flying Saucer Attack, a cult Bristol outfit who released a series of feedback-drenched, folk-inspired albums in the early 1990s, have been cited by Talbot as a major influence.

A constant in the Gravenhurst sound is Talbot's fragile voice and vocal harmonies, intricate guitar work and unsettling and mysterious lyrical themes.

Gravenhurst wrote and recorded original soundtrack music for the film Ein Freund Von Mir. As well as the bespoke "Song Among the Pine", the Gravenhurst songs "Animals", "The Velvet Cell" and "Song from Under the Arches" feature prominently in the film. An instrumental version of the song "Nicole" is featured in the acclaimed Shane Meadows film This Is England. The song "Black Holes in the Sand" is featured at the end of the "Johnny B. Good" episode of "The Unit."

Gravenhurst recorded cover versions of HŸsker DŸ's "Diane", "See My Friends" by The Kinks, "Farewell, Farewell" by Fairport Convention, "Longest River" by War Against Sleep, "Song to the Siren" by Tim Buckley, "Only A Northern Song" by The Beatles, "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson, "Paint a Face" by Neil Halstead, "The Tourist" by Radiohead and "I Found the F" by Broadcast (for the 2009 Warp20 20th anniversary album).

THE PRIZE (taken from 'The Ghost In Daylight')
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4n5NG3VgAg

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 21/03/2016 15:57:42

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2016 :  15:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full album listens...please do. Utterly brilliant.

Fires In Distant buildings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLJJApOvRrU&list=PLkRGz7rqwGe1tBl2rOtPWAvvU3Fx09sET&index=1&spfreload=10

The Ghost in Daylight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyoUmXIvYaE&list=PLkRGz7rqwGe2AGakCpoohNoH7SAG0kgah&index=1&spfreload=10

Flashlight Sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjFIoUH--o&list=PLkRGz7rqwGe3FN1f6W25qb8z6tpxUWO2t&index=1&spfreload=10

Western Lands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-mIVh6Kzyo&list=PLkRGz7rqwGe1LHLOihKVWP5KmTa4eXtQJ&index=1&spfreload=10

[size=200][color=#408040]Farewell to Nick Talbot, soul Gravenhurst[/color][/size]
©Rolling Stone 2014

2014 will, most probably, one of the saddest years in the history of Warp Records. The key in the evolution of electronic music over the past two decades, British label had to deal last week with the death of Mark Bell, one of its flagship musicians. And yesterday he announced in a brief statement the death of Nick Talbot, artistically known as Gravenhurst.
-died Mark Bell, leader of LFO

Translation--forgive the "English"...but it serves to emphasize the international grief and loss

The musician and journalist , Nick Talbot, based in Bristol, was 37 years old. At the moment were not disclosed the cause of death. The circular releases, Warp Records stressed that both the family and friends of the deceased demanded respect and tranquility to overcome so hard trance. Conceived 15 years ago as an expressive vehicle Talbot, Gravenhurst embodied in his scores a taste of the most eclectic. In his songs fit elements of classic pop, shoegaze, folk and psychedelia.

Gravenhurst published five albums and a handful of singles, earning acclaim from critics, but never reached mainstream audiences. difficulties in maintaining the viability of the plan were a constant. In fact, his last album was released almost three years ago, although Warp recently reissued albums Flashlight Seasons and Black Holes in the Sand as well as a compilation of unreleased material titled Offerings .

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2016 :  15:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ÔTurn The Hourglass AgainÕ Ð An Obituary to GravenhurstÕs Nick Talbot

Bittersweet masterpieces for all the desperate souls in the world who were longing for guidance. Last week Nick Talbot passed away, leaving us speechless one last time.

December 8, 2014 Norman Fleischer / nbhap.com

The Ghost In Daylight, full album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyoUmXIvYaE&list=PLkRGz7rqwGe2AGakCpoohNoH7SAG0kgah

Digital technology surely isnÕt that evolved at the moment to let us witness specific emotions via written words but there are moments when you wish it would be possible. I never met Nick Talbot in person, our mail exchange a few weeks back was brief but extensive as he agreed to answer a few questions on the just released 10th anniversary edition of Flashlight Seasons, the cult record of his alter ego GRAVENHURST. Being an editor for a music magazine you are facing mail interviews from time to time. They are less personal than the face-to-face ones and the answers donÕt allow follow-up questions but sometimes thatÕs the best you got. The answers I received from Nick Talbot have been the most detailed e-mail-interview I ever received in my not-that-short-running career as a music journalist. Almost five pages of stories, comments and little essays that allowed an insight into the artistÕs mind. ÔYouÕre lucky you got in early,Õ he wrote in a little unofficial part at the end. ÔItÕs unlikely IÕll answer in this much detail as more interviews come inÕ he continued. He wrote about the forthcoming tour, a new GRAVENHURST album and his personal hopes for the future. I sensed a spark in his eyes, although technical not possible. ThereÕve been excitement and hunger.

Last week Nick Talbot shockingly passed away at the age of 37. The spark went out, reminding us all of the everlasting presence of death and the transience of life itself. The fact that TalbotÕs death occurred in the same week of the Flashlight Seasons re-release makes the tragedy even more bittersweet. NOTHING BUT HOPE AND PASSION just published what turned out to be one of his last interviews; I was personally looking forward to his spring tour, seeing that spark and maybe exchange some real words. All these things circle around in your mind and one day later that person is gone.

ÔI suppose the fact that IÕve survived as long as I have in spite of some serious struggles and periods of hopelessness and despair is a source of hope, and I will never lose my passion for music.Õ ThatÕs the answer Nick gave me when asked about whether his music can be seen as hopeful or not. The sound of GRAVENHURST wasnÕt a quite optimistic one after all; it has never been. Maybe itÕs one reason why the five studio albums of Talbot havenÕt gained large commercial success but remained little morbid masterpieces for all the desperate souls in the world who were longing for guidance.

GRAVENHURSTÔs songs were anthems for outlaws, introspective beauties driven by the undeniable flaws of the human ways. According to our mail exchange, the themes that interested him were Ôthe nature of violence, the inherent corruption of the human condition.Õ Talbot furthermore confesses Ôan obsession with murderÕ that is sensible throughout all of his work. ÔTo understand the killer / I must become the killerÔ was the key line from 2005Õs The Velvet Cell. He surely was not into sweet love songs but rather interested in exploring the abysmal depths of humanÕs nature.

While 2001Õs debut Internal Travels remained a still quite vague first attempt to find his own sound 2004Õs Flashlight Seasons (and its follow-up EP Black Holes In The Sand) was the real start of whatever GRAVENHURST was originally intended to be. It was a reduced trip into melancholic terrain, a place of darkness somewhere between desolation and relief. TalbotÕs voice remained the constant in that unholy equation even if the sound around it changed over the years. Fires In Distant Buildings from 2005 saw Talbot and his fellow musicians Dave Collingwood (drums) and Huw Cooksle (bass) exploring a fuller and more band focussed sound with epic ambitions. Cities Beneath The Sea is a dark monster and the closing track See My Friends unfolds its magic over the course of nine minutes. He was Ôall about change and progressÕ Ð at least thatÕs what he told Warp Records before signing his long-lasting record contract.

The Western Lands from 2007 saw Talbot treading the path of louder rock sounds even more. Hollow Men, for example, is four minutes of noisy beauty. GRAVENHURST basically recorded a post-rock-album back then and allowed TalbotÕs bittersweet lyrics a more disturbing musical environment. Back then, in 2008, Talbot took two years off from recording music to focus on his job as journalist. He was still interested in discovering these cracked vessels and societyÕs problems but from a different perspective. He met British philosopher John Gray for an interview and remembers the exciting exchange the two had on certain topics about which he also informed me. Talbot explains: ÔJohn doesnÕt believe that the terms ÔRightÕ or ÔÕLeftÕ have much meaning anymore, and that the kind of pre-Thatcherite conservatism he was once an exponent of scarcely exists now. So while his ideas of scepticism about social progress are often associated with the Right and conservatism, I feel a great affinity with them, and unless the Left gets to grips with them and understands them, and in particular once again connects with the aspirations of the working classes, it has no future.Õ He also adds that he actually is a member of the Labour Party, although quite Ôan extremely dispirited oneÕ as he tells me.

His final album, The Ghost In Daylight from 2012, saw Talbot stripping down his sound again, mixing it with a few electronic elements. Something he was keen to continue on a potential sixth studio album. A record which he was clearly excited about, I could sense that. A record that will now never happen. The Ghost In Daylight will remain Nick TalbotÕs legacy; a beautiful one. The record ends like GRAVENHURST startedÉ with the gentle acoustic lullaby Three Fires, a track that was once again inspired by the murders committed by Fred and Rose West back in 1994. There it is again. The fascination of an unexpected death and the motifs behind murder. Nick Talbot was capable of disguising the despair of these stories into gentle little songs. These songs will remain long after his sad, unexpected and yet still quite mysterious passing. They will remain because they were different, they touched different themes and emotions, GRAVENHURST recorded the beautiful soundtrack to an ugly world. I once had the pleasure of experiencing him live in concert a few years back. I felt blessed back then and now even more. Talbot was one of the most gifted songwriters of the past years because he wasnÕt fitting the expectations; he was intelligent and somehow stubborn in his own way. ItÕs a hard-to-find characterization these days. His music will be a melancholic monument to remind us regularly about the fact that life is not easy. ItÕs pretty often pretty miserable but thatÕs OK as long as you got company. Wherever you are Nick, I hope youÕre not alone right now.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2016 :  15:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some rare live video...not to be missed

Holes In The Sand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZrTUU1 ... freload=10

The ghost Of Saint Paul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxD95G8 ... freload=10

Nicole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKgkzxs ... freload=10

and the wonderful...I Turn My Face To The Forest Floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGzyIWJ ... freload=10

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page