Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2016 :  17:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be Here To Love Me
A Film About Townes Van Zandt 2004 LIMITED DVD

Full play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXTvGi69LMU

Be Here To Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt is a 2004 documentary film directed by Margaret Brown which chronicles the often turbulent life of American singer-songwriter Townes Van Zandt. The film includes interviews of Van Zandt's immediate family and contemporaries such as Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Lyle Lovett, Steve Earle and Guy Clark along with "... home movies, old TV performances and, especially, early Seventies footage originally filmed by James Szalapski for his outlaw country documentary Heartworn Highways."

Townes Van Zandt was a well regarded and influential musician and songwriter. The film follows his life as an artist, and documents the impressions he made on other musicians, his commitment to a mental facility, involvement in music, drugs and alcohol, departure from his family, several of his live performances, and general life on the road.

The film covers some of Van Zandt's time spent in Houston, Texas, where he began his musical development, though according to the film's DVD commentary, much was excluded from the early years, when he met many of his early influences and lifelong friends (Lightnin' Hopkins, Guy Clark, Steve Earle, Micky Newbury, etc.), and developed his musical skills in the city's folk and country scene in the late 60s and early 70s.[/i]

Be Here to Love Me was first premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in Toronto, Canada in 2004. It first showed in the United States at the Wisconsin Film Festival, then to a limited run of theaters in 2005. The film was released on DVD by Palm Pictures in 2006.

Reviews

The film maintains a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The New York Times said, "Margaret Brown has directed a tender, impressionistic film biography about the Texan singer-songwriter," and The Village Voice called it "loving but frank."

Be Here To Love Me was listed at #7 in a list of "50 Greatest Music Films Ever" in TimeOut Magazine.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/03/2016 19:46:26
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page