New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2005 :  14:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a week this is! Last night's Meltdown was amazing. The evening kicked off with Lenny Kaye from the Patti Smith Band singing "Barbara Allen" and "Catch the Wind". We were then treated to an incredibly eclectic variety of acts, including some extraordinary combinations. Included were Martin Stephenson, Robin and Bina Williamson, Bert Jansch (who also played with Johnny Marr and Beth Orton), Robyn Hitchcock (who played with John Paul Jones), Neil Fynn, Roy Harper, and Patti Smith herself (who sang two Joan Baez songs). I was particularly impressed by Hitchcock & co's version of "Reynardine" and Neil Fynn's "Wild Mountain Thyme". Harper has matured well and mellowed slightly. However, he remains unchanged in other ways. He stressed the importance of what the evening was about, despite the current leaderships of the two nations, and an illegal war. The show lasted from 7.30 - 11.30 pm, and ended with most of the performers singing a rousing version of "Lay Down" (a song that I know from the Strawbs). While I was there, I managed to pick up a ticket for tonight's show - Patti Smith's "Horses" plus John Cale. L & M, John E

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2005 :  18:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I thought you'd been to Swansea lol.
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2005 :  00:03:07  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was at Meltdown last weekend and saw Richard Hell do a reading from his new book 'Godlike' on saturday and then on sunday we saw Steve Earle and Patti Smith Patti played a full set with her band which included Tom Verlaine from Television on guitar they started with a great version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' then on wednesday I saw Television in Bristol.. seeing Patti Smith again in Paris on July 8th..

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2005 :  22:36:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went to three of the Meltdown events, The 'Songs of Innocence' last Sunday, 'Stand Bravely Brothers' on Thursday and 'Horses' last night...all were stunning events and worth every penny (and all the delays on the trains...long story ! lol) Anyway, 'Horses' last night was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen...stunning and John Cale was bloody good too. How did you get a ticket John, was it a return, they were going for big money on Ebay? Pity I didn't see you there I would have said 'Hello'

Didn't see Televsion at Meltdown but saw them in Bristol on Wednesday and they were damn fine too.
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2005 :  23:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Caryne,
I got a one-off return at the RFH on the night before the show. (Stalls G4). However, it was fairly easy to get single returns just before the show, even if they weren't the very best seats. I looked out for you, but only met one Love fan there (Derek Rodgers). We were hanging out at the bar, till nearly midnight. My big moment of the evening was when Patti came out into the audience, and stood on a seat, not far from me. A bouncer tried to edge me back, but I took Patti's hand and kissed it! Patti then took my hand to help her climb down from the seat. Great show of course, even though Patti admitted having missed one track. Good to hear Piss Factory and My Generation, too. John Cale's set was interesting, even though the sound could have been better. We got Ghost Story and Gideon's Bible from Vintage Violence, The Jeweller from Guts, some more recent material, and from Fear - Fear is a Man's Best, and to close the show, Gun and Pablo Picasso (Cale left the keyboard for the last too tracks, and played guitar menacingly). Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

thujone
First Love

1 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  09:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excuse me for chirping in here, but did anyone of you lucky guys who went to see "Stand Bravely Brothers" happen to get a recording of it??
(I only have a partial one which lacks Antony (of Antony and the Johnsons) bit - would love to hear that....
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  22:51:28  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No but I wish I had, it was a wonderful event (and I have to say I was especially touched by Marc Almond's appearance) so if you ever get one do let me know
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page