Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  15:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Lewis
with David West

Live at Lobero Theatre

Included in this wonderful CD is the bonus studio track "Looking' For America"
Peter Lewis and David West...as good as ever, and always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQVWrtNKCwQ

This is Peter Lewis, formerly of the group Moby Grape. Peter and I were touring this summer and I noticed that this song ("America") earned a standing ovation almost every time we performed it, whether we played for audiences in affluent areas or in places like blighted downtown Detroit (Detroit Music Festival). I thought it would be interesting to post on youtube for Peter's fans and for those who remember the true promise of America. --David West

Label: Taxim
catalog-no. tx 2087
rock - 2013

info/order
http://www.taxim.com/items/tx2087.htm

Tracks:

Intro: Peggie Jones (Peter Lewis) 0:42
Journey to the Crossroads (Peter Lewis) 4:11
Lookin' for America (Peter Lewis) 4:24
Fate Full of Shadows (Peter Lewis) 4:27
When You Walk in the Room (Sharon Lee Myers) 3:17
Pictures of the Past (Peter Lewis) 4:08
Beyond the Storm (Peter Lewis) 4:28
If Life Was Just a Game (Peter Lewis) 4:34
He (Peter Lewis) 5:08
Lookin' for America (Studio) (Peter Lewis) 3:06
8:05 (Studio (Jerry Miller/Donald Stevenson)) 2:52
Peter Lewis - guitars, vocals
David West - guitars, mandoline, banjo, harmony vocals

Bobby Nichols - drums, shaker, tambourine
Lorenzo Martinez - congas

On recording Peter Lewis:

Peter Lewis' life has been populated by large personalities from the start. First as the son of actress Loretta Young, growing up in a house frequented by the top tier of Hollywood Filmdom, and later becoming a member of the hugely influential rock group Moby Grape with all of the attendant characters '60s San Francisco could offer. Privilege and success can be deceiving. Being the child of overly busy parents can be, and was, a difficult road for a sensitive and talented kid who needed more validation than a series of boarding and military schools can give. Then, after achieving true "star" status, Moby Grape became the poster child for the devastating effects of colossal career mismanagement, leaving wreckage in its wake.

Now years later, having survived it all, Peter is writing arguably the best songs of his life. Remarkably still innocent and inquiring, he is never more comfortable and seemingly at home than when he is on stage relating anecdotes and memories of his unique personal history. This is what I wanted for so long to capture in a live recording. Peter tells his stories and sings his songs with a guileless delivery which is never self aggrandizing... as if we all had Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart at our childhood dinner table, or communed with the likes of Jimi Hendrix or Van Morrison in San Francisco in 1967. Never name-dropping to impress, just describing the events of his extraordinary life.

It has been my great (and sometimes frustrating) privilege to try to corral Peter's mercurial self long enough to record in the studio or do a small concert tour. Sitting beside him on stage or in the studio, I am delighted to have the best possible seat to hear Peter tell his endless stories and sing his amazing songs. Peter Lewis has evolved into quite a large personality in his own right. Its all captured on "Live at the Lobero Theatre."

--David West

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/02/2015 22:23:15
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page