Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  11:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought we'd like to read more....

It is good to know Michael & Johnny still carry the torch for Love. Michael sounded very happy with the Nov 22 gig. He tells me he doesn't play drums as much anymore--no fun to drums by yourself he says (but then he doesn't miss the grind either of regular gigs).

Michael still cooks on drums from what I've seen on youtube--if anything he is better than ever. Still in my top ten Rock drummers of all time.

We need a concert updater. They also played El Cid in LA on Oct 25...

Love Revisited with Johnny Echols & Michael Stuart, Pugwash, Bunnynose
When: Fri., Oct. 24, 9 p.m. 2014

4212 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles

Here is a nice review from RecordCollectorNews for the Ugly Things 30th--

Celebrating The Mags Birthday Bash at San Diego's Casbah with LoVE Revisited

by Jason Tryp

ItÕs an early Saturday, late May (25th) morning. IÕm starting my shift half asleep at work, itÕs 4am folks and the only thing I can think of is driving down the 15 freeway to San Diego to head after work to the Day 2 (out of 3) of the Ugly Things 30th Anniversary celebration happening down at the Casbah (by the San Diego airport).

Pan forward to later that night, IÕm standing in front of the stage, the third act of the night is about to go on, members of Love Revisited, remains of the classic 60Õs Elektra Label band, are about to take the stage to help celebrate some of the greatest music to come out that greatest of musical decades, the 1960Õs. For a moment or two I get slightly distracted and come out of it to notice founding Love member, lead guitarist Johnny Echols, has taken the stage by now along with some of the newer members. Unassuming yet looking like the cool hip grandfather you wish you had, his guitar is strapped on and heÕs just about ready to go. Seeing him so up close in this intimate space that is the Casbah is a surreal dream come true. The band begins a tight, intense set, founding member and lead singer Arthur Lee, is not present, having passed away in 2006 but even though King Arthur is not here, for a while Merlin has taken his place in the apparition of Soundtrack Of Our Lives frontman Ebbot Lundberg who takes the mike and lead vocals for a majority of the set. At one point, we are blown away by a surprise announcement that early member and drummer Michael Stuart is there to join the band on a few songs and despite his aged look proceeds to attack the drum kit with a professionalism and agility of a man less than half his age, no kidding! Johnny Echols takes lead vocals on a searing and heartfelt version of Love comedown classic ŌSigned CDĶ from their first album originally released in 1966. Johnny Echols kindly took out some time afterwards to answer some of my questions in regards to that evening and that era.

Jason Tryp: The band sounded great, your guitar playing was a joy to hear, to my ears, your concise and emotive solos were what I would imagine would have been like listening to Miles Davis solo, that same kind of artistry involved, How content where you with the bands performance that night? Did the original LOVE ever make it down by San Diego way?

Johnny Echols: Hi Jason, We had a wonderful time playing in San DiegoÉ It was more akin to a dance, where everyone plays with more spontaneity and freedom, as opposed to concerts where there is a bit more structure and the sound is much closer to the records. The original group did play San Diego though I canÕt recall the venue.

JT: Which guitarists did you admire growing up while learning your craft and later as contemporaries of LOVE?

JE: Growing up I was influenced by Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Charley Christian, and many of the old blues players.

JT: If you had to make a top five of your favorite 60Õs albums what would they be? Do you currently own a record player/turntable? ThatÕs all, thanks!

JE: Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. Chico Hamilton with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Zabo. Blonde on Blonde by Dylan, and for sure Sgt Pepper, by the Beatles. I own two Phase Linear amps, a couple of Empire turntables, Wilson speakers, and a bunch of analog equipment, tape decks etc. I prefer old schoolÉ

So do we, Johnny...lk

Love Story Promo extra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3qYHjgp3M :wk:

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/12/2014 11:45:57

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2014 :  00:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did Michael ever drum professionally after leaving Love?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2014 :  23:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As he says in his book, he had an audition but never went forward with that. I think Michael was trying to escape all the negatives that go with being a rock drummer...drugs and all the rest. The breakup of Love was likely something they all needed to get away from that scene, and get straight and healthy...just my thoughts.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page