New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  19:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I accidentally clicked on a track from Flase Start and I had not listened to the LP for ages...strangely, I thought, "Damn! I know this. What's this" t's good. Who is this?" It took a minute or two but I came round to realize--this is the much-maligned False Start.

We have such high expectations of Love and Arthur, and False Start was so different from OUR LoVE, we couldn't help feeling, what a let down.

But, now I'm thinking and rethinking the whole LP...NOT BAD.

When I was unable (momentarily) to place the track that I accidentally played, I thought ...who are these guys, they're really good...and REALLY different.

So... if you haven't given False Start the chance it deserves, try to erase the prejudice that False Start is lesser-LOVE and just have a listen to this "cool obscure album"....not bad.

Keep On Shining...Electric Gardens, Glasgow 1974
http://mp3days.com/download/2p58Xd-5/08-keep-on-shining.html

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/09/2014 19:35:00

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always liked False Start, despite its short playing time.
Stand Out live has always been a personal favourite.
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  01:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right there with you guys about "False Start." My only ever (minor) gripe about it was that it's such
a brief, short album, but for me, just as L.K. stated, it's simply another new chapter in the Arthur Lee/Love story, and one that has never been less than pretty enjoyably listenable.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

An additional recommendation is its crystal clear production - along with Frank Fayad's wonderfully resonant bass lines. Two of the best tracks for me are Anytime and Ride That Vibration - and it is strange that they have never been included on any of the compilations........excepting of course the indispensable Blue Thumb anthology.
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  11:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So back to this one again? Personally, I think that False Start is pretty dire and I think that it is really sad that it was released as a "Love" album. Unfortunately, the "new chapter in the Arthur Lee/Love story" adopted a style of music that I don't much like - I was never a fan of Hendrix, for example, all noise, not much melody. But it takes all kinds....

DT

But I Can't Understand
Why We Let Someone Else
Rule Our Land
Cap in Hand.
(The Proclaimers)
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  14:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyTee

So back to this one again?

YEP!

And it looks like it is only one thumbs-down so far! It is very melodic to my ears and very little Hendrix "noise"...it is Arthur's funky side to my ears. And if it wasn't LoVE, with all those expectations, I believe as just anther band...False Start would STAND OUT!!

Another notable track "Feel Daddy Feel Good"

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  15:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to Scott's thoughts, let me throw this in. Just for arguments sake, clear your mind and suppose Arthur had not created any albums prior to False Start, there was no LoVE legacy, and wipe away the knowledge that Arthur was on the downturn of his career. This is Arthur's first album. Flawed yes, uneven yes....but a quality batch of songs on the whole.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  22:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this had been Arthur's first album, it wouldn't have made any difference - it's the style of music I don't like and that would apply whoever was playing it. But even taking that into account, I don't agree that the songs show any great quality. So if this had been Arthur's first album, I doubt if it would have received much if any airplay save perhaps for the Hendrix track which might have been played occasionally as a curiosity feature, but even that's not very good. Arthur made his name and reputation from the first three Love albums and will always, and rightly, receive credit for one of the finest rock albums ever. But this isn't it and had he not done the first ones, we'd probably never have heard of him.

DT

But I Can't Understand
Why We Let Someone Else
Rule Our Land
Cap in Hand.
(The Proclaimers)
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  21:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I would never claim that it is as good as Four Sail - but another reason why the album has a special place in my affections is that it serves as a document of Love's 1970 UK tour...their first outside the States.

The Hendrix track was of course recorded in the year of his passing - and the fact that it was released posthumously adds to both to its poignancy and to his magnificent legacy.
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  01:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw them at The Roundhouse in February 1970. I remember being shocked by them and, sadly, disappointed. Four Sail had been released only a few months beforehand and while I realised that the band had changed to some extent, I was not prepared for just how dramatic that change was.

DT

But I Can't Understand
Why We Let Someone Else
Rule Our Land
Cap in Hand.
(The Proclaimers)
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  09:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that the original Love would also have been capable of shocking their audiences from time to time...although of course we can only go by press reports from the time. No one could claim that the three studio albums from 1969-70 in any way matched the vision of Forever Changes - or even Side 1 of Da Capo - but they still to my mind display exemplary musicianship. Live performances were a rather different matter and of course Arthur Lee was notoriously unpredictable.....that is part of his mystique.

Edited by - John9 on 09/10/2014 09:26:21
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you misunderstand me, John. As far as I can remember, there was nothing wrong with their musicianship at that gig, or indeed with Arthur. The shock was to my system in that I'd gone to the gig expecting to hear one band that I very much loved but instead had found something very different that I didn't really like much at all but foreshadowed the forthcoming releases of "Out Here" and "False Start" - indeed, the tour was to promote the imminent release of "Out Here" so much of the material, as well as the band's new sound, was new to me. In view of the dramatic change both in personnel and in style, I still think it was wrong of Arthur to continue to use the name "Love" for that band.

DT

But I Can't Understand
Why We Let Someone Else
Rule Our Land
Cap in Hand.
(The Proclaimers)
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  21:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where you are coming from, DaveyTee - ultimately it is all probably down to that time honoured question, what's in a name? There have been similar debates over The Byrds - whose line-up changed dramatically from 1968. And I have a friend who refuses to recognise any version of Fairport Convention other than the 1967 inaugural one (with Judy Dyble). I suppose that we all have different patterns in our minds to help us make sense of things individually.

Edited by - John9 on 09/10/2014 21:40:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page