New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  00:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I invite you to click on the link below - it will take you to a very recent (April 2014) 'Best of' Poll that has appeared in the long running NME mag. Then scroll down a couple of inches and click on Number 1.....I promise you that the very pleasant surprise will be worth it:

http://www.nme.com/list/101-albums-to-hear-before-you-die/338322/page/11

Many thanks to my old friend Martin who pointed this out to me this afternoon - he is a veteran of Love's gig at Leeds Poly in early 1970.

Edited by - John9 on 04/06/2014 00:47:13

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  17:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four Sail at no 1 and Forever Changes at no 5, both chosen by members of the Libertines (who I think are the most overrated UK band ever).

Edited by - stewart on 04/06/2014 17:50:40
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  17:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stewart

Four Sail at no 1 and Forever Changes at no 5, both chosen by members of the Libertines (who I think are the most overrated UK band ever).

Ahhhhh, but they know their music when it comes to Love anyway!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  21:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, LK - I found it especially heart-warming to see Four Sail given such a high profile by an independent source. It has often been the case that it has either not been mentioned at all - or it has been dismissed and consigned to the same category as Arthur's 1970s output. I seem to remember that when album first appeared on this side of the pond, it was in those delightfully offbeat record shops (where the staff always seemed to know their stuff) - alongside import copies of Out Here. It must have been a really confusing time for fans, many of whom had probably no idea of all the personnel changes. I recall vividly mistaking Jay for Bryan in the cover shot.

And how would the industry have you buy your music today - by tuning into the lonely endless void that is cyberspace. Give me the days when making a special trip into the city centre and going through the magical ritual of making the purchase was an affirmation of your loyalty to the band. It all puts me in mind of those oft quoted lines by A.E. Housman:

That is the land of lost content
I see it shining plain
The happy highways where I went
And can never come again.

Edited by - John9 on 04/06/2014 21:39:49
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  22:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes indeed, LK - I found it especially heart-warming to see Four Sail given such a high profile by an independent source. It has often been the case that it has either not been mentioned at all - or it has been dismissed and consigned to the same category as Arthur's 1970s output. I seem to remember that when album first appeared on this side of the pond, it was in those delightfully offbeat record shops (where the staff always seemed to know their stuff) - alongside import copies of Out Here. It must have been a really confusing time for fans, many of whom had probably no idea of all the personnel changes. I recall vividly mistaking Jay for Bryan in the cover shot.

And how would the industry have you buy your music today - by tuning into the lonely endless void that is cyberspace. Give me the days when making a special trip into the city centre and going through the magical ritual of making the purchase was an affirmation of your loyalty to the band. It all puts me in mind of those oft quoted lines by A.E. Housman:

That is the land of lost content
I see it shining plain
The happy highways where I went
And can never come again.

Those were the days, j9. The way we found out about a new release was a 15 minute bus ride to one of two small downtown record shops...and there in the window or on one of the walls above the record bins we could discover the newest and mysterious releases by the likes of Love, or Beatles or Donovan...no cyberspace to get lost in.

Then we'd ask for the promo vinyl at the counter so we could sample it on the turntable in the corner...no headphones even....then everyone in the shop could revel in the newest venture and adventure in the golden age of Rock & Folk! And if the music had the sound we'd hoped, before long, we'd be riding the bus home with the new sealed vinyl treasure tucked under our arm, excited to get home to hear the latest and greatest and stare at the new beautiful record jacket & smell that new vinyl smell!

The days of innocence & the daze of the roots of rock are gone forever...now we have the jaded daze of the internet where a 10 year old can see and hear things that a 50-60 year olds like us can't even imagine, or wish to sully our minds with!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/06/2014 23:03:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page