New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  14:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone catch the DC 5 doc about the great band? Glad All Over...what a string of amazing hits. Dave Clark was one of the few managers/abnd leaders that was truly a fantastic ..business manager!

The part about not wanting to be a 24/7/365 on the road band was cool...they scheduled their tours so that they worked only five days a week and got 2 days off at whatever locale they were performing....to get some sun on the beach, go night clubbing, or just chill, whatever.

One of my all time favorites from the 60's...nice harp playing!

Catch Us If You Can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zGvtBCgKeY

PBS 'Great Performances' features hits of '60s wonder band Dave Clark 5 in 'Glad All Over'
©The Daily News 2014...no infringment intended

BY DAVID HINCKLEY/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, April 8, 2014, 2:00 AM

Early rivals to the Beatles are recalled by performers including Gene Simmons and Paul McCartney

Fifty years ago, at the dawn of the British Invasion, the Beatles werenÕt compared to the Rolling Stones. They were compared to the Dave Clark Five.

So Dave Clark himself clearly enjoys the fact that PBSÕ ÒGreat PerformancesÓ devotes two hours Tuesday night (8-10) to the DC5, in a special titled ÒGlad All Over.Ó

ÒOur band was different,Ó says Clark. ÒWe were still playing rock ÕnÕ roll, but we had an entirely different sound: just one guitar, but an organ and a saxophone.Ó

The DC5 has sometimes gotten lost in history, perhaps because it broke up in 1967 and Clark held off for years on reissuing its catalogue. But ÒGlad All OverÓ treats the band as royalty.

ÒWhole magazines were published about the Beatles vs. the DC5,Ó recalls Bruce Springsteen.

In the end, the Beatles beat the DC5, which is no disgrace, because they beat everybody.

But the DC5 didnÕt carve out a bad legacy. They appeared on the ÒEd SullivanÓ show 18 times, theyÕre in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and in this special, a parade of rockers from Gene Simmons to Paul McCartney hail this bunch of blokes who saw Elvis and decided to form a band.

ÒWe couldnÕt get enough of American rock ÕnÕ roll,Ó says Clark, who is as quiet and soft-spoken in an interview room as the band was animated on stage. ÒWeÕd hear it when we played American air bases in the U.K. One of the reasons I wanted a sax in the band was that I loved Fats DominoÕs ÔBlueberry Hill.Õ Ó

In the early days, says Clark, ÒWeÕd play 31/2 hours a night without repeating a song.Ó

To give the band a little break, drummer Clark developed the trick of playing repetitive riffs to a flashing light show.

A couple of those riffs, he says, turned into ÒGlad All OverÓ and ÒBits and Pieces,Ó two of the bandÕs biggest hits.

ÒFreddie Mercury said years later that he got the idea for ÔWe Will Rock YouÕ from ÔBits and Pieces,Õ Ó says Clark. ÒI never knew that.Ó

What Clark himself can tell you about ÒBits and Pieces,Ó he adds with a wry smile, Òis that there were supposed to be eight beats in the break. But I rushed it and there are only seven and a half.

ÒThese days youÕd just fix that. But it was a lot more complicated then. You had to take a piece of tape and physically splice it in. So we left it.Ó

The band did splice something in on another song: the harmonica interlude on ÒOver and Over.Ó

ÒPhil Spector asked me how we did that,Ó Clark says. ÒI didnÕt tell him it was just a splice.Ó

After the DC5 broke up, Clark, who shrewdly owned the rights to all their music, held back on reissues until CDs came along and he felt the sound would be right.

He doesnÕt think that dimmed the bandÕs star. It certainly didnÕt prevent him from becoming a successful and wealthy producer across multiple platforms.

A one-time fringe actor, he produced movies and a musical, ÒTime,Ó that starred Cliff Richard and featured the last performance of Sir Laurence Olivier.

At the meeting where Olivier agreed to take the role, he finished up by telling Clark, ÒNow that weÕre partners, call me Larry.Ó

ThereÕs a sentence not everyone hears.

Not even the Beatles.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  14:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
15 Top 20 hits in four years...and for good reason!

Glad All Over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSepEeMgPg&feature=kp

Over and Over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ji1MMXoAVk

DC 5 had the songs we couldn't stop singing....over and over again!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/04/2014 14:40:56
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  16:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I caught the latter part of this one, mad that I missed the first part. Hoping PBS will replay it again in our area. DC5 sold more that the Beatles and Stones for a while...not as deeply artistic as other bands, but I really love their stuff. Very good seeing these home movies in all their dog-eared glory.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  15:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100 million records sold,a Hall Of Fame induction,and I'll bet they still continue to be at least a bit on the overlooked side.For some strange reason,I swear I hear Herman's Hermits get mentioned more when people talk about their oldies radio.Don't get me wrong,the Hermits certainly did have a lot of hits,but I find the DC5 catalog to be more driven and inspirational.They had a stronger and seemingly prouder vibe.As far as the PBS special was concerned,fantastic!I wish they would go through some of the other Brit invasion bands and American bands as well whose music I've always thoroughly enjoyed,but never knew too much about the singer or group.Personally,I'd like to see a "Great Performances" about Creedence.Final foot note.So sad to discover that three of the DC5 are no longer with us...........
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page