New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  16:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit & Greenhill - The Unwritten Works Of Geoffrey, Etc. (1968)

The Viper (What john Rance Had To Tell)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pve5mCQBMlg

Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit & Greenhill were an obscure late 60s group from Texas, their real names being David Bullock, Scott Fraser, Eddie Lively and Phil White. More of a collaboration of singer-songwriters than a true band, they got together and recorded this one album in 1968, under the guidance of producer T-Bone Burnett (who also contributed to the songwriting). Stylistically it is a truly diverse exploration of the folk-rock pallette, at times rootsy and earthy and at others whimsical and baroque. All four members contribute guitar, bass, keyboards and vocals between them, and their arrangements are orchestrated here and there by violins, accordions, harmonica and strings. The end result is a charming, laid-back and curious blend of sounds. The record went unnoticed on its original release, and would have remained so to this day if it wasn't for a recent CD reissue. White, Fraser and Bullock later teamed up with drummer Brett Wilson and became Space Opera.

Review by Richie Unterberger - Allmusic Guide

Although Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit & Greenhill were indeed a quartet, no one in the band actually went by any of those names. Instead, their eclectic, whimsical psychedelic-influenced 1968 LP, The Unwritten Works of Geoffrey, Etc., was recorded by David Bullock (guitar, bass, vocals), Scott Fraser (guitar, keyboards, bass, vocals), Eddie Lively (guitar, vocals), and Phil White (bass, keyboards, vocals), with John Carrick adding guitar and vocals, and a young T-Bone Burnett producing. Bullock, Fraser, Lively, and Burnett all wrote material on the album, a low-key but ever-shifting mixture that defied an easy label. Some songs ("The Viper [What John Rance Had to Tell]," "House of Collection") sounded rather like an oblique take on early, rustic Neil Young, though it's highly unlikely Young was a direct influence. Others offered accomplished country-rock ("Just Me and Her"), stirring folk-rock with touches of hard psychedelic rock guitar ("Ready to Move"), pastoral Renaissance-flavored orchestrated folk that sounded very much like some of the most baroque pieces recorded in the late '60s by the Beau Brummels ("Upon Waking from the Nap," "Tribute to Sundance"), and a haunting cabaret-like number laced with violin and disembodied backing vocals ("Street in Paris").

The group formed in Fort Worth, TX, where Fraser and Lively had been in the band the Mods. After picking up the other members, they began recording in a basement studio of a local radio station, coming to the attention of Burnett. Guy Clark, later to become a rootsy singer/songwriter of some renown, was also associated with the group and did the LP's cover design and photography. The record, however, was barely noticed upon its initial release. After Fraser, Bullock, and White hooked up with drummer Brett Wilson in Austin, they changed their name to Space Opera, recording more polished (though often still folk-rock-influenced) sounds for a self-titled album on Columbia in the early '70s. The Unwritten Works of Geoffrey, Etc. was reissued on CD with historical liner notes in 2006.

Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit & Greenhill's only album was a minor but decent late-'60s folk-rock-psychedelic record, at times (but not always) reflecting the influence of California groups of the period like Buffalo Springfield. Certainly a few of the tracks, especially "The Viper (What John Rance Had to Tell)" (written by a young T-Bone Burnett, who produced) and "House of Collection" sound much like the folkier things Neil Young was writing and singing in the Springfield's later days and his early solo career. They're also competent at integrating both psychedelia ("Days of Childhood") and country-rock ("Just Me and Her") into that Springfield-esque palate, though at times the songs aren't particularly rootsy. "Upon Waking from the Nap," for instance, goes for a more baroque orchestrated mood, and Burnett's "Street in Paris" seems like an attempt to craft an eccentric throwback to '30s European cabaret. There's an understated mood to the record that makes it a cut above many similarly derivative albums of the time, as it doesn't seem to be straining as hard to ride the trends of the day as if they're cloaks to be worn for the duration of the recording sessions. This rarity was reissued on CD in 2006 with historical liner notes.

Ready To Move
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SEc0OvlwI

As Pure As Freshly Driven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idj23r0Ihk

Fun to discover new bands from the 60's..though this hasn't grown on me yet as much as I'd hoped...we'll see. But it is not your average derivative fare..it has that different minor key sound I like, and with T-Bone Burnett producing I will always give his projects a chance, and a second chance. It has some nice off-key psychedelic sounds.

So after two listens...I'm digging this! Usually the albums that take a couple listens, end up being my favorites...Like ForeverChanges! It's the easy-to-like hooks/songs that I get tired of quickly! Those are the familiar--this is GOOD & different-the unfamiliar!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/04/2014 19:45:50

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  21:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
READY TO MOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rROaUPXkto

from yutube guy....

With influence from celtic hymns and the anthemic Byrds song "Change is Now," this song by late 60s Texas group Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit and Greenhill (or soon to become "Space Opera") really strikes a chord. Produced by T-Bone Burnett, this group sadly never quite got its due.

I encourage you to buy the album here:
http://www.amazon.com/Unwritten-Works...

It is full of standout tracks that leave me wondering why my generation can't make music half this good.

-------------
Ready To Move (songwriter: David Bullock)
David Bullock: Lead vocal, electric 12-string
John Carrick: Backing vocal
Scott Fraser: Drums, lead guitar
Philip White: Bass, backing vocal

When I wrote this, Bullock said, I consciously used a few notes from the hymn, 'Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing'. If you know the hymn, you can hear it in there. One of the words we always used to describe The Byrds' music was 'churchy'. Listen to '5D' and you can hear its majestic, stoic quality. On 'Ready To Move', I was thinking of 'Change Is now' as a model and I think we came close to the spirit in the recording. It has kind of a Celtic, droning feel and is probably the heaviest song on the album. That, by the way, is the last song we recorded for the album and we were pleased to end it that way.

--
I mean this video as a tribute to my favorite group. If any friend, relative, member of the group, copyright holder etc, wish for me to modify or take it down, I will do so.

-newenglishsound (youtube)

(no copyright infringement intended...)

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/04/2014 21:39:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page