Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PaulG
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  17:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but am very impressed with it.
Anyone out there who is going to the cheese and grain on the 10th July?
Saw Arthur at Glasto 2003 - one of the highlights of my life - my favorite album of all time played live at my favorite place.
Am looking forward to the chhese and grain gig but will arthur still play most of forver changes and how will it work without the strings and brass?

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  17:37:46  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
me and my partner Angel will be at the Cheese and Grain in Frome been there a few times and it is a great venue! Johnny Echols is back in the band and to me that beats the brass and stings! it will be great!

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve64

me and my partner Angel will be at the Cheese and Grain in Frome been there a few times and it is a great venue! Johnny Echols is back in the band and to me that beats the brass and stings! it will be great!

hey ho! lets go!

Go to Top of Page

PaulG
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  17:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Steve,

Never been there but looking forward to it. Where are you from?

Paul
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  17:55:21  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi we live in Taunton - Somerset

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  19:07:52  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I certainly intend to be there (as long as my lift doesn't fall through) Never been to the venue before but as has already been said, Love are much more exciting live now than ever, I've got to admit, I've forgotten the strings were ever there
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  20:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the strings and brass is what made Forever Changes so special and the way the album was re-created live was very special - particularly at Glastonbury. I haven't seen Love since but from what you are saying, I am really looking forward to it.
Has anyone heard the album by The Arcade Fire - Highly recommended.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  22:44:34  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was but I feel we've moved on, the Forever Changes with strings was great but it's time for another era....Johnny Echols brings a different dimension..you'll love it.
Yep, I bought the Arcade Fire album, after everyone telling me how wonderful if was, sadly it wasn't....not bad exactly just felt I'd heard it all before.
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  20:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I will, I need to listen to the first two albums a bit more too. Trouble is I compare them to Forevever Changes which isn't fair really.
Give Arcade Fire some time and you might get to like it. That's the trouble these days - everything has been done before and hardly anything original anymore. I still really like it - did you see them on jools holland. very good live I would imagine.
Have you heard the album by Blanche? Again not exactly original but very good.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  01:45:54  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, sorry Arcade Fire just 'average' as far as I'm concerned...I've no problem with stuff sounding 'retro' it just has to be good() AF just don't have to certain 'something' for me. I have seen 'Blanche' live, they were ok, but, again, nothing special. Havn't heard the album though.
As I buy about 3/4 CDs a week and, on average, go to about the same number of gigs, I've no time for stuff that is just 'ok'!
But, hey, each to his own and all that...
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  10:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the Blanche CD, but then again I really liked them live too.
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  21:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's floating your boat musically at the moment then Caryne?
I don't get to many gigs these days. I went to Glastonbury from 1994 through to 2003 but can't get a ticket anymore. Gutted this year coz the line up is excellent - particularly The White Stripes and New Order.

Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  00:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys,but I've just got to butt in here!I've(belatedly)discovered the wonderful world of 'British Sea Power'.Two very interesting albums to date,with echoes of Pulp/Lloyd Cole/Echo & the B'men/Julian Cope.etc - in fact another fine addition to the great English pastoral eccentric lineage(let's also hear it for 'XTC',THE great forgotten UK band!).BSP are aband with a vision,and definitely ones to watch.Oh,and the new 'Go-Betweens' album is yet another corker!
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  01:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can never have too many great English pastoral eccentrics. XTC were criminally overlooked - I think that they may have been more popular in the US than in their home country. Very rum. As for
BSP, they sound a fine band, from what I've heard of them. Much more than 'ok'. Their latest album gota lot of advance play on BBC
6Music, which I hold in higher regard than 'Later' at the moment. Is it just me, or do others think that it's gone downhill in terms of interesting content? Arcade Fire didn't live up to the hype,
and as for Athlete last week, they sounded like Snow Patrol with
a different vocalist. D-u-l-l. I changed channels. As time passes,
Jools seems to be morphing into his friend Roland Rivron. NOT an
improvement.
Anyone heard something truly exceptional by a new act recently -
ie. not retro? I wish I had, but the only stuff I've thought worth
buying over the last few weeks has been records that I flogged due
to student penury long ago, and am only now tracking down again.
Krautrock such as the first Neu album, for example. Thirty three
years old, and still sounding 'cutting edge'. Er, somewhat more
interesting than The Bravery....
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  08:26:49  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new act that is not retro....now you are getting me..is there one?
I have to agree with the comments on British Sea Power after catching them supporting the Flaming Lips a few years back I've been hooked ever since and have now seen them live several times, excellent act and, yes, in the fine tradition of 'British' eccentricity that the likes of XTC had.
Who else at the moment? Well all sorts, just got the new album by The Engineers, which is pretty fine and I'm rather keen on The Tears (I always had a soft spot for Suede. I listen to a lot of 'Americana', so bands like Lambchop, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Handsome Family, The Sadies, Iron and Wine, Slaid Cleaves (oh, I could go on, but won't!!)
Finally, a little plug for one of my other favourite bands, I've always been a sucker for the big, 'Scott Walkeresque', voice, so there is 'Cousteau'. They have a new album out, 'Nova Scotia' and I'm just a little taken with it. The singer has the most gorgeous voice and, after seeing them live three times in the last 10 days, I can confidently say they are a great live act too

There's lots more I can name and, probably, in a few minutes I'll think of another dozen more. I guess you could say my taste is eclectic and, as I said, I go to many gigs and buy lots of CDs...just love music really.

Edited by - caryne on 25/05/2005 15:33:26
Go to Top of Page

Scottishkeith
Third Love

82 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  12:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Scottishkeith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian Jonestown Massacre shortly to be touring with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Now that's a band , you just got to see them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page