Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  19:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BEATLES-summertime, all the time

If you weren't there it's hard to understand the musical renaissance the Beatles gave us in the 60's but...all you need do is sit your self down, relax, and listen the the Boys...

Much of the Beatles catalog I associate with Summer music listening pleasure...possibly because it was the 60's summer break when we could listen day & night to our favorite artists..and the Beatles often dominated my stereo daze.

Sgt. Peppers was one I bought in the summer of 1967, and played it to death...other Beatles albums may have been released at various times of the year, but is there a better time to get immersed in the Beatles sounds than on a perfect August summer day...on the deck, blues skies and Beatles...today & tomorrow.

I'm Only Sleeping..the superior mono mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAW8F8fI28

On 60's recording techniques....

The Beatles - I'm Only Sleeping (Mono) converted from 440 hz to 432 hz. 432hz sounds fuller and nicer on the ear whereas 440hz sounds thinner. 432 Hz touches the full 12 scale octave overtones of all music, whereas the music of today vibrates at 440 Hz. This 440Hz only touches 8 scale octave overtones. 432hz music touches your heart which makes listening to music a more emotional experience.
-MrBtskidz

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 02/08/2013 19:53:49

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  18:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know your post brings me back also to a particular time as well with them. After underture's post about what we thought our top Love record was it hit me that while I thought FC was the best and probably one of the greastest rock records ever made I then thought of my other favorite and eeep down if I think about it tops even my estimation of FC!

And that's BEATLE VI..now was that done at 432 too???????.9I only have the stereo)..

My love for that album probably goes for the simple reason that it touches deeply into my soul. The whole damn record. Maybe because I came to it at a particular time of my life?...heheh during the summer too!

Now I've been listening to it again...'deeply' and I can't believe what I am actually hearing. The songs hit me so. The music. Nirvana.

I'm sure you guys have a fav that hits you too like VI does to me. I'd like to hear it!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  18:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know your post brings me back also to a particular time as well with them. After underture's post about what we thought our top Love record was it hit me that while I thought FC was the best and probably one of the greastest rock records ever made I then thought of my other favorite and eeep down if I think about it tops even my estimation of FC!

And that's BEATLE VI..now was that done at 432 too???????.9I only have the stereo)..

My love for that album probably goes for the simple reason that it touches deeply into my soul. The whole damn record. Maybe because I came to it at a particular time of my life?...heheh during the summer too!

Now I've been listening to it again...'deeply' and I can't believe what I am actually hearing. The songs hit me so. The music. Nirvana.

I'm sure you guys have a fav that hits you too like VI does to me. I'd like to hear it!

The Mono Beatles VI is the best audio experience for sure & far superior to the original stereo mix--to my ears anyway

Beatles VI is the Beatles' seventh Capitol Records release in the United States (including The Beatles' Story). It was the ninth album released into that market in less than one and a half years (Vee-Jay Records and United Artists Records also released one album each during that period). The LP was released in both mono and stereo versions.

"Beatles VI" reached number one in Billboard for six weeks, beginning on 10 July 1965.

This LP was also released in New Zealand in stereo in time for Christmas 1966. The pressing plates were obtained from EMI (UK) and are identical to their export only release. The title on the record label reads Beatles IV, and the catalogue number is PCSM 6042.

This album is available on CD as part of The Capitol Albums, Volume 2 box set in both stereo and mono mixes (catalogue number CDP 0946 3 57499 2 2.)

Music

Beatles VI includes two tracks recorded specifically for the North American market: "Bad Boy" and "Dizzy Miss Lizzy", both covers of Larry Williams songs, and both recorded on Williams' birthday (10 May 1965), marking perhaps the only time that the Beatles recorded material especially for North America.

"Dizzy Miss Lizzy" was soon included on the British release of the Help! album, but "Bad Boy" was not released in the United Kingdom or anywhere else around the world until the 1966 A Collection of Beatles Oldies.

Beatles VI also included:

the remaining six tracks left off Beatles '65 from Beatles for Sale
"Yes It Is", the B-side to the single "Ticket to Ride". This is a "duophonic" stereo remix from the original mono track, with additional echo and reverb.
two other tracks from the forthcoming UK release of Help!: "You Like Me Too Much" and "Tell Me What You See"
As on Beatles for Sale, the "Kansas City"/"Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" medley was originally listed only as "Kansas City". After attorneys for Venice Music notified Capitol of its error, the record label was corrected, although the album cover was not.

YES IT IS...maybe one of my all time favorite songs ever...MONO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8yOYzbCNc

Side One

Medley: "Kansas City"/"Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller/Richard Penniman) – 2:30
"Eight Days a Week" – 2:43
"You Like Me Too Much" (George Harrison) – 2:34
"Bad Boy" (Larry Williams) – 2:17
"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" – 2:33
"Words of Love" (Buddy Holly) – 2:10

Side two

"What You're Doing" – 2:30
"Yes It Is" – 2:40
"Dizzy Miss Lizzie" (sic) (Williams) – 2:51
"Tell Me What You See" – 2:35
"Every Little Thing" – 2:01

UK and Euro fans never got to appreciate these unique American releases--another great one is Yesterday & Today

-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/08/2013 19:00:41
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  19:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY BULLDOG...one of the Fabs' best instrumental outings all round! And John's vocals...WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNzkzcfOuM

To a rare wonderful film

-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/08/2013 19:35:29
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  22:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the Beatles may signify Summer to some, to me it is anytime or all the time. The things they evoke seem to be always related to the things and people I loved at that time. Which is why they are at my core.
But, comes the Spring, and I mean that first wonderful Spring day, after a hard cold Winter, I always gravitate to FC, and I mean loud singing like I was a crooner.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  01:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To those of us in the UK, those American albums were always such a mystery - until that is, roundabout 1976 when imports began to appear in all our record shops and not just Virgin. By then, two of the US compilations - Hey Jude and Magical Mystery Tour - had been given official releases here.

At around this time, I shelled out £2.99 for Beatles 65. But I was ever so disappointed with the mix on I Feel Fine/She's A Woman.....it sounded as though it was coming from the inside of a dustbin.

Still, since 2009, we have been enjoying the best of all possible worlds. Whatever your bag is.....stereo, mono.......it's all out there..... in best ever quality.... and superbly documented - I shall now go to bed

Edited by - John9 on 07/08/2013 01:22:37
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  02:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh...with Beatles '65 you also likely discovered that horrible USA innovation--Rechanneled Stereo (or fake stereo!) Back then Capitol would not wait for the real stereo mixes to arrive from the UK, so they took the mono mixes and created FAKE stereo...so BAAAAAD!

Oh, and Mark...

Beatles are anytime for me too, all the time, but they sounded so good the other day they reminded me that they were and are my #1 summer listen too. And they brought back a rush of memories and feelings of summer cays and how the Beatles made me feel... so long ago in those emotional teen years of summer when we were free of the shackles of school.....I'm in love with her and feel fine.

And my teen love and I are still together, 40+ years on...

Just wait till Fall, or Winter, and ...guess who my favorite listen is?!!

-lk
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  20:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And lk when you mentioned that 'hertz' business. I can agree. I really paid attention. I have some good speakers and man the listening experience is like you said. When I don't hear a Beatle record for awhile and then come back to their stuff intently I'm just stunned at the musical quality on the recordings noted. That was them always thinking of us listening and posterity and no doubt how they were going to 'sound.' If anybody screwed up on that it wasn't them but the 'suits'..

And lk nice on that 'teen love'....hehe well mine got away but I know we kind of both of loved 'You Like Me Too Much'...;-)...I know it's supposedly a Beatle throwaway but those songs take on other meanings that have nothing to do with it, what can you do!!!...

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  20:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just to ask..did anybody by chance get the Help blu-ray? And if you did how were the recordings? I've played the reg dvd to death and the light probably has burned a hole onto the disc. I'm figuring on buying the blu because I think it will sound much better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page