New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

painterman
First Love

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  10:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I have a question for anyone with knowledge of the history of the original first pressings of Da Capo. Being very old I did my o levels in 68 and a classmate of mine gave me copies of Forever Changes and Da Capo cos he didn't like them!Bearing in mind I have owned these for 44 years I have been going through my extensive collection and discover they are the 1st pressings by the matrix numbers. That's all well and good for Forever Changes, disc and Uk laminated sleeve both stereo. However Da Capo is the mono sleeve with a stereo disc. I believe from Googling that the early sleeves were not printed in England but imported from the US, born out by a very small tag in the bottom right corner of the back of the sleeve. Anyone know anything? many thanks,painterman.

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  12:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the board!

Is the Da Capo sleeve a US style thick card/pasted picture style? I think that 'most' of the UK pressed records were sold in US sleeves, though there are examples of the UK printed laminated sleeve -- I think those are somewhat harder to find.

You could have a look on popsike.com -- that's a good site for judging how rare (based on price at least) a particular pressing is, based on previous sales.

I'm sure there will be someone on here who can give you some more exact info.

Great records though :)
Go to Top of Page

painterman
First Love

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  19:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Forth Love. The cover is the card sleeve, but not pasted picture. My forever Changes is the UK laminated sleeve and fortunately is in ex/ex condition,and the card DC isn't too bad either, and although I have no intention of selling them it looks like I have a Friday afternoon issue or the plant ran out of stereo sleeves so used what they had. They weren't to know the band would achieve legendary status.The only record that I have with pasted picture cover is a US pressing of The Standells Why Pick On Me on the Tower label. cheers
Go to Top of Page

painterman
First Love

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  19:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whoops forgive the mistake Scully I did say I am very old.
Go to Top of Page

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did my O levels in 65 so there!

My Da Capo was similarly bought with a stiff made in USA mono sleeve and the record was mono too (I discovered when I got my first stereo in 1969). Love's 1st was similarly in hard cover but neither that nor the gold label indicated if it was mono or stereo so in 1969 I was delighted to discover it was Stereo! Back then when you bought an album the mono/stereo thing didn't even occur to you when you only had a Dansette record player and you just got what you were given in the shop! I'm sure I remember the Doors 1st was similarly a hard cover in mono, it must have been Elektra policy.I've sold all my vinyl except for Love (and the Stone Roses) but I'm sure some other early Elektra had hard covers in UK

Edited by - stewart on 03/03/2013 20:19:57
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  20:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, skully...many UK pressings for US labels (Elektra etc) used the USA sleeves....when a stereo sleeve was unavailable when Stereo was becoming the mix of choice, a mono sleeve with a stereo sticker was used. I have several, including the first Love s/t USA pressing; I also have a Loving Spoonful LP like that.

By the way, there was a lag in technology in the UK (many Brits did not have stereo "reproducers" even into the 70's; long after the Americans had made the change to stereo players). Therefore the UK was blessed with MONO mixed vinyl available at their local record shops long after they had completely disappeared from America.

Nice treasures, painterman...hold them tight!

(btw, painterman--I am curious about your forum moniker. Is it from the single "Painter Man" off Creation's classic LP "We Are Painter Men"?)

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/03/2013 20:22:18
Go to Top of Page

painterman
First Love

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  21:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh joy! thanks for the posts and thanks again Scully for pointing me towards Popsike where an ebay listing for this album in 2009 explained all.Thanks also to LK and the moniker-yes and no.I have worked in the paint industry all my working life but I well remember The Creation doing Painterman on TV and being impressed with the violin bowing of the guitar.
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  07:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by painterman

Oh joy! thanks for the posts and thanks again Scully for pointing me towards Popsike where an ebay listing for this album in 2009 explained all.Thanks also to LK and the moniker-yes and no.I have worked in the paint industry all my working life but I well remember The Creation doing Painterman on TV and being impressed with the violin bowing of the guitar.

You're welcome -- popsike is quite a handy site for getting an idea of how much you might have to pay for something you covet :)

Eddie Phillips (the guitarist in the Creation) kind of popularised the violin bow technique, it was then picked up by some 'more famous' players :) Eddie drove a London bus for many years after the band split. They had a couple of great numbers -- Painterman was later a hit for Boney M in the late 70s (!) but my own favourite was 'How Does it Feel to Feel'.
Go to Top of Page

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  14:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They had a couple of great numbers -- Painterman was later a hit for Boney M in the late 70s (!) but my own favourite was 'How Does it Feel to Feel'.
[/quote]

Prefer 'Makin Time' myself - but all 3 songs are crackers. 'How does it feel to feel' especially sounds like an early Oasis demo, surprised Noel hasn't namechecked them

Edited by - stewart on 04/03/2013 15:28:14
Go to Top of Page

painterman
First Love

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  08:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you on this one Stewart. Makin' Time was the song I saw on TV (in b&w of course), great song.
Go to Top of Page

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  14:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by painterman

I'm with you on this one Stewart. Makin' Time was the song I saw on TV (in b&w of course), great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oig8z4HvBL8 Sure I saw them on Ready Steady Go but not sure what show this was but the bow comes in about 1.40.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page