New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  15:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this came up in another post...is Forever Changes one of the first breakthrough albums by one of the founders of the groundbreaking Art Rock, progressive, fusion ensembles?!

Arthur was always PROGRESSIVE and forward thing and he fused many genres, which is what progressive fusion art rock is all about.

Any takers?!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  03:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemonade kid. I sort of disagree a bit with you. I consider Forever Changes to be a bit of Baroque pop and a dash of psychedelic rock. I do not consider it to be Art rock as in the sense of the Moody Blues or early 70s Genesis.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  14:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abraxas

Lemonade kid. I sort of disagree a bit with you. I consider Forever Changes to be a bit of Baroque pop and a dash of psychedelic rock. I do not consider it to be Art rock as in the sense of the Moody Blues or early 70s Genesis.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile

Just playing around here, of course...I think that FC is in a category all it's own. Unique in the annals of rock history and to pigeon-hole it would be a SIN. Progressive is an overused word to me, and is usually something I run away from if I hear it tagged to a group. Led Zeppelin are the hard/metal rock fathers, but are often labelled progressive hard rockers--I hate the label any way you put it, but use it to simplify a conversation. To me, a progressive group in the purest sense, are a band that pushes the limits of their genre, whatever it is...thereby The Beatles were as "progressive" as The Moodies or YES.

I would think, though, that any "progressive" group that heard FC couldn't help be deeply influenced & inspired to push their style & limits.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg

Edited by - lemonade kid on 31/07/2012 14:22:01
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  14:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is Forever Changes one of the first breakthrough albums by one of the founders of the groundbreaking Art Rock, progressive, fusion ensembles?!

You know if art rock is defined by say the music of say Yes, Genesis, Roxy well obviously the sounds between FC and those records technically do not compute. But really, in the main, FC indeed fused many styles of music and instrumentation into those original vinyl minutes and I think that is a main ingredient of 'art rock'.

You know it's funny but I think FC is more 'art rock' than psychedelic as some have called it. On the other hand, FC's so-called 'psychedelia' was so off the pace of what was being done in that style at the time that you just had to admire the sheer inventiveness of the band when it came to that genre, in lyrics, in instrumentation and the whole musical drive of the record. The other thing that worked I think is the "big idea" was always in there. Oh they had one alright. FC was a big bag of uniteee.....yes, FC one of the starters of 'art rock'.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page