New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

thenewguy
Second Love

48 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  08:24:45  Show Profile  Visit thenewguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Susan B.

Loov:

The Golden Bear was in Huntington Beach. It was awesome. It is no longer there since developers modernized Main Street and call the city Surf City. I saw many great shows there. Did

I went to the Cheetah many times. At the end of the Santa Monica pier. Great light shows and lots of room to dance. I remember waiting for the Doors who were 3 hrs late for their show. I think they had to wait for Jim to sober up. It was well worth the wait.

I saw Love at the Hullaboo. The set up was great. In the 1950's it was called the Moulon Rouge. A game show was filmed there every day called Queen For a Day. In the early 60's it was a dinner theater. I remember when I was a little girl my parents took me there for my birthday to see Liberace. What were they thinking? I had to go up on stage with him because I was the B.D. girl. Mid 60's it became the Hullabaloo. In the 70's it was the Aquarius Theater. Hair the musical played there for years. Great show.

I can't remember what it is now. Just a little Cal. history.

Now it's "Nickelodeon."
Go to Top of Page

Loov
Second Love

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  16:32:31  Show Profile  Send Loov a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gabardine, very cool stories. Sounds like torture to hear 7 and 7 Is from just outside the club...And you know, I didn't even realize Bido Lito's had an upstairs. It must have been closed off when I was spending many a night there as my then-boyfriend's band was playing there regularly in the late 80s.
I remember Shelly's Mann Hole, my parent used to go there and my highly unreliable memory has them trotting us kids through there once.

I went to The Baked Potato a few times as a teen but couldn't tell you what I saw there, which is pitiful. I saw Willy Bobo's combo there, possibly...?

I used to work at the Cathay de Grand (with Autumn and Tequila Mockingbird) when Top Jimmy and the Rhythm Pigs were there regularly. The creepy manager tried to demand sexual favors for more and better shifts, the pig.
But Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs played most nights, X, Chuck E. Weiss and the Goddamn Liars, Los Lobos and Lucinda Williams, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, those were SUCH good days for music.
Worked at The Central for almost three years, well before it was sold to become The Viper Room. And the Kit Kat Club when it turned into a rock club after decades as a strip joint.
If people knew any of the above people or remember these places I'd love to hear.
Newguy, welcome!!! and thanks for chiming in. (The Monkees? ) The Yellow Payges have a lot of L.A. garageband bona fides but for the life of me I can't remember what song of theirs made it to radio..do you know?

~~~~Now let us all give thanks that Irma Thomas, Fats Domino and Clarence Gatemouth Brown made it out of dear old New Orleans safely.~~~~~~~

Loov
Go to Top of Page

Loov
Second Love

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  17:18:39  Show Profile  Send Loov a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Found this page at Hollywood a GoGo. I just love the shot of the Love billboard promo for the release of Forever Changes. Looks like it's on the Strip with (Clark or Hilldale winding up behind it...?)
The site also has many pics of Michel Stuart and Sons of Adam.

http://hollywoodagogo.com/Faces%2012.htm

Loov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page